Puppies - how is the market

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorrie & Frank

Reaction score
I was chatting with a friend on mine in AL about breeding. We are awaiting my daughter's first litter of pups from her registered papillion. My friend is deciding whether or not to breed her ridgebacks again. She is a big horse person with a big ranch and her ridgeback is her sompanion for safety. Her previous litters have often gone to folks at military installations in the US as companion and guard dogs for faimilies of those serving abroad. Any thoughts on how the economy may impact breeders' ability to sell quality dogs?

In Georgia many people have lost their jobs (many jobs are ones that people thought were safe, like firefighters some whole fire stations have been closed due to lack of city revenue. Many of these firefighters had twenty years of service). So it seems that everyone here is cutting back expenses. Even those who assume their jobs are safe are looking over their shoulders. One of the expenses that many are cutting are pets. The shelters are full....people are collecting pet food to give to those that can't afford to feed their pets and they are running short of food all the time...craigslist is full of ads from people trying to rehome their pets. So I wouldn't know what to say about specific breeds. There is a rescue for papillons in Atlanta or Marietta that has increasing numbers of dogs. We have also heard of many puppy mills closing (and being shut down) due to fewer people buying puppies. That is what I see from here.

Thanks for the input - we have many folks interested in the paps already - but it does confirm what my friend was feeling farther east - that times are too tough to breed right now. Thanks!

IMO, if you're breeding for the 'market' you're doing it wrong. Unless your friend's dogs-or any dogs-have something or have done something worth reproducing, they don't need to.

We breed pups or horses with specific goals in mind aand not simply to breed. We have not breed our national grand champion stallion in five years because we met all of our breeding goals and don't breed just to breed. My friend's Ridgebacks are show dogs but they serve as excellent companion dogs. That's why she's considering no breeding this year. She can command a high price for her pups but for military families she covers her costs.

IMO, if you're breeding for the 'market' you're doing it wrong. Unless your friend's dogs-or any dogs-have something or have done something worth reproducing, they don't need to.
No matter how worth reproducing they are, I think the OP is pretty wise in that she's trying to make sure the puppies will not just be wonderful, but also likely to find homes that want them. I think that's the responsible approach
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back