Product to make horses shed faster?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnolia_dream

Reaction score
My horses aren't shedded out yet. I think it's cause it hasn't been very hot yet but i really would like to get the extra hair off of them. One just has fur around her belly but my other need to shed all over. Anything i could put in their feed to help it fall off?

I think flax seed helps.

Minis have thicker coats than full size horses and seem to be shaggy a lot of the year, some seem to shed off naturally only for a couple months!!!!

Yep.......Flax seed helps "burn" the woolies off.......

MA

Here too, most of my horses are completely shedded out, but then I have a few that are hanging on for dear life to there winter woolies. I dont want to clip because our nights are still getting chilly out, tonight its suppose to dip into the upper 30's or low 40's. Ohhh, if only they would shed out nice and slick and FAST like our arabs do
default_yes.gif
: that would be so nice.
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin Corinne

I've used Nu Image.

I'm going to start using Platinum Performance in a couple of weeks(has flax seed in it).

Another thing (for those newer to minis) is that the younger minis seem to hang on to their fur suits later in the year than they do when they are fully mature.

For general purpose information there is a product by Farnum or Horse Health called "Shed Out"

but I have not seen it work yet!

A good worming seems to do the trick for me. Any wormload the horse is carrying, no matter how small, will consume the horse's energies.

Also keeping them under lights if you are not getting a good 15 or so hours of sunshine a day will help.

I think i might try the flax seed idea. They get plenty of sunshine they are in a dry lot with a big run in shed. Thanks for all the ideas!

Back