problem conceving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raine

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a mare who i was hoping was pregnant, it turns out she isnt. My vet came out and ultra sounded her yesterday and she has 2 problems.

First tilted uterus that is retaining seaman

Second her cervix is not closing as tight as it should be

My vet is very good and feels we have options and is getting back to me..

But i would really like to know if any of you have had these problems and if so what did you do and did it work??????

My mare is ten years old she had a live foal in 2007, not with me and apparently 3 others at another farm ,that she lost due to no one being there and they didnt get out of the bag. Dont know how true that is...seems pretty stupid to let it happen three times!!!

Anyway please advice if you have any and thanks
default_sad.png

You are very fortunate that you have a veterinarian to work with you and your miniature.

There is not much you can do this time of year, but starting next spring you can do a lot with your veterinarian to get her in foal.

As to being there at foaling, that is THE most important part. Often it is just opening the sac and getting the foal out safely. Sometimes it is a simple readjustment.

I too have been amazed that people are willing to gamble with the foals life. I cannot imaging not having a Breeder Alert and cameras during foaling season. Lifesavers!

You are very fortunate that you have a veterinarian to work with you and your miniature.
There is not much you can do this time of year, but starting next spring you can do a lot with your veterinarian to get her in foal.

As to being there at foaling, that is THE most important part. Often it is just opening the sac and getting the foal out safely. Sometimes it is a simple readjustment.

I too have been amazed that people are willing to gamble with the foals life. I cannot imaging not having a Breeder Alert and cameras during foaling season. Lifesavers!
Hi Joanna,

my vet said we will wait until the spring than ultra sound her to find out when she is ovulating and than breed her on the exact day so as not to flood her uterus as far as the cervix not closing tightly enough i'm not sure what she is going to do about that..

I would really like to get this mare pregnant and have a foal from her even if its just one, she has a great blood line and cost me a fortune...lol

I always have a breeder alert on them and cameras , i get very nervous around breeding time i just dont sleep...

I am lucky to have a vet that is very interested in the miniatures and a really good horse vet.

but she dosent have much experience with miniatures thats why i am asking the people on the forum for advice...so thank you all in advance.

oh and joanna i love your horses especially pacific sapphire rose she is lovely...shes on my xmas list lol
default_wink.png

"I too have been amazed that people are willing to gamble with the foals life. I cannot imaging not having a Breeder Alert and cameras during foaling season. Lifesavers!"

I have to say, I am one of those who dont have a camera or breeder alert... BUT I live in the barn till that foal hits the ground. I will have to agree with you on this one as I too cant believe folks gamble like this. My hubby thinks Im nutz and well I cant help it. As a breeder, I will do what ever it takes to ensure a healthy foaling season. Even if its me curled up in the straw snuggled with my barn cat in the middle of the freezing nights!
default_biggrin.png

Maybe having her insemenated would help the little swimmers get where they need to be to get her in foal. Following successful insemenation, possibly a Casilck's dependant upon your vet's findings in regards to her reproductive anatomy, to prevent infection would be my suggestion.

Latest posts

Back