Probiotics--do you use

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxane Martin

Reaction score
I will be doing the 5-day/double dose of Panacur shortly for my 3 minis. I read in the catalog about a probiotic (Probios Equine One) that was suggested to be used after worming to repopulate the normal gut flora. This does sound like a reasonable thing to do to me, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it.

Have any of you ever used a probiotic in such a situation? Do you give it during or after the worming?

The other thing that confuses me is the dosage size suggested is 15-30gm, and the tube size is 30gm gel. So how much would you give for a 250# mini? (I'm presuming that the dosage size is for a full-sized horse)

Thanks so much for your help. Next year I will be doing this in November, based upon the helpful links provided in another recent thread, but this is the month that was recommended by my vet so that's what I have been following.

SORRY I DONT KNOW THE ANSWER BUT FIZZY IS GREAT WITH THE LIKES OF THIS MAYBE YOU SHOULD PM HER :saludando:

Roxane, Shane is right Rabbit is a book of knowledge about these things but here is my 2 cents worth.

Pro-Biotics are my friend. I use them a lot and to my knowledge they never hurt. It would be like you eating yogurt when you are on antibiotics.

I do not believe it would ever interfere with any wormer. I get the powder and give it for all sorts of situations. 2 days before a show, through a show, a day after. If I have a stressed horse for whatever reason, if I have had to treat a horse for diarhea. In my opinion it never hurts.

Now one thing I have been reading up on is Pre-Biotics. They are a little tougher to find. I had never heard of such a thing until recently and am doing research on them but I would like to find some and use them for many of the situations talked about above. In other words, pre for preventative and pro after there is reason to.

I may start a thread if no one answers this.

Is this the regular Panacur Power Pac? Or is it just a tube of Panacur? Or is it another brand like Safeguard?

Panacur Power Pac usually gives the dosage for a 1250 pound horse. Therefore you would use 1/5 of the tube for your mini if it weighed 250.

Now if it is regular Panacur dosed for a 1100 pound and you are just double dosing than use 1/2 each day for 5 days or 500 pounds worth (it would actually be 550 pounds worth). If it is the Power Pac tube then use 1/5 for 5 days or 250 pounds worth. There should be weights on the plunger.

Let us know exactly what you have please if you are not sure so we can help you.

Also you can go tot he Panacur web site for info.

Sorry but your question confuses me a bit because of the size of tube you are saying is not the PowerPac tube size I am familiar with. Usually regular is 25 gm and Power Pac is 57 gm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back