Private transport

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Deb and I have 3 mares who we need to pick up (or be picked up) from Leeana's and while we originally planned to do a road trip, we are now trying to find more reasonable options (both financially and because of her work). I know people who go on road trips and try to recover at least part of their costs by transporting others' horses for them along their route. (We had thought about do this ourselves). But, now that we are seriously thinking of using a private person for transporting the mares I am nervous about the idea.

What kinds of things should I ask of/require of the person? Should there be a written contract? What should be included? Should I ask for pics/updates of horses enroute? What else?

Have you ever used a private party to transport your horses and how did it turn out???

I have used private transport, but usually it is a friend or someone I know so I am familiar with their trailer and the care they give to their horses on the road. I am not keen on using a complete stranger nor even a friend of a friend of a friend of my neighbor's husband's sister. I like to know what kind of a trailer the horse will be hauled in, and what kind of condition that trailer is in....I don't want any horse of mine being loaded into some trailer that is likely to have the floor fall out of it 15 miles into the trip nor a trailer that is rusting out so badly that a horse can put a foot through a rusty hole in the wall. I also want to know that the hauler will look after my horse in the event their tow vehicle breaks down...I don't want to be the person mentioned on the news when a trailer full of horses is found "abandoned" on the side of a road somewhere, left their two days earlier when the truck broke down & the driver couldn't get it fixed right away. I also want to know that it is someone trustworthy who won't just disappear with the horses somewhere along the way. All these things can and do happen.

personally I think asking for pictures along the way is a bit much. If I were hauling a horse for someone and they wanted me to take & send photos every day or every 4 hours or whatever, I'm afraid I would label them a complete PITA and tell them sorry, find someone else to haul for you--not because I wouldn't be looking after the horses but because I just don't do e-mails or text messages and I don't e-mail photos from my phone, and couldn't be bothered with taking the photos & then figuring out how to send them!

More important, for me, would be to have references from someone I know & trust and then make sure that the person on the other end will check out the trailer & not send the horses if she feels it is not a safe outfit.

Don't forget that I am going to Oktoberfest, so perhaps someone coming from LKF to Florida could help you.......................just a thought....................
default_smile.png

I used East Coast Equine Transport. They were wonderful. They go to Florida I believe every two weeks. The owner Pat is very nice. If a person on her team brings the horses they will tell you to call or text as many times as you want. And Pat will call you to find out if communication has been made to you from her team. I have used others but felt so good about this service that they are the first ones I call to see availability. They have great equipment as well.

The great price and the communication as well as they understood being horse owners the worry that is involved shipping our wonderful babies.

Good Luck!

Gary and I have transported horses for others about eight times now. We really enjoy seeing the various farms and meeting them. We treat the horses as if they were our own. They get hay, fresh water and are fed grain if it is their regular feeding time and we are on the road. We clean and sanitize our trailer everytime we use it, check the tires and maintain US Rider. If we were looking for someone to transport our horses I would expect the same. Gary is going to Texas for the next AMHA directors mtg in Dec. We are supposed to bring to yearlings back to Arcadia. If we can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

I have used private transport, and in all cases but one hae been very pleased with the company. The main thing I can say is ask for references, not from the company themselves but on here or possibly on one of the horse transport groups on yahoo.

I used private transport this past spring/summer. It turned out GREAT! They were better than the professional transportation that shipped the stallion the few days before. I didn't ask for references, but they had a website and I saw their trailer, truck, and all of their horses which looked extremely well cared for. I spoke with the lady through e-mail and on the phone and she was awesome. She let me know when he got to her and how he looked and she was very sweet and even followed up with me afterwards.

I used a private transport when I sold my gelding and it went great. She was very easy to work with and took good care of him. I was nervous because it all went down so quick. But I have and will recommend her to people and I will use her again if I need another one shipped

I have used two companies to transport horses in the past. Sharrway transport and Equine Xpress. Both we're great to work with and the horses came in perfect condition.

Diane - I heard they bringing some horses back to someone in Arcadia and figured it was you. Gary and Ruth have never hauled for me, but just knowing the kind of people they are, I would trust them with anything!!!

By the way, congrats on your new ones!

Barbie

Latest posts

Back