Price this horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people say a horse is worth what people are willing to pay for him -- I say he is worth the price for which you are willing to part with him.

It may take longer to sell him, but I would never part with him for a "fire sale" price.

I would also market him (at least on the west coast) to CDE people. For someone looking to show ADS, AMHA and AMHR, his size is perfect. Of course, the VSE division is hot on the west coast, but not as strong back east.

This is easy for me to say, but assuming you don't need to move him quickly, I would price him according to his true value and not let anyone take advantage of you. To do otherwise only enables this devaluation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanna say I have always liked that horse. He is also one of my favorite colors. but to go into pricing where I live..In a perfect world probably around 5,000 - 10,000 but in todays economy 2,500 or less. So many people in our area have lost jobs due to plant closings ,houses arent selling and with the amount of debt our country is now in horses are somewhat of a luxury that most people can no longer afford. I see horses advertised on the sale board pretty cheaply that have otherwise been marketed for way more. It depends on how bad you really wanna sell him plus if he cant measure into an AMHA show that kinda knocks him out for those that show. I do not show ( I have in the past but not right now) I pay attention to what is winning and showing now but for the most part I breed for what makes me happy. A person could go broke trying to keep up with all the trends. But if I had the cash (unfortunately I dont ) and he was good enough and gentle enough for a beginner to drive I would love to have him. I hope that helps...

A well trained pinto AMHA gelding near that height just went in the $3,500 range in the world sale to an exhibitor for her grandkids. The horse had shown and "done well", but I don't think he had the record your boy seems to.

As a stallion, I would want to know and see what he is producing, that matters to me. I would also want to know how big the classes were that he competed in. You can get 10th place out of 11 and that is a top ten, but it's not a big win. Too many questionable factors to come up with a price. That said, in today's economy, any thing above 3 or 4 grand is expensive, and nothing is a bargain unless it's free.

I also believe that if the horse is worth it, and you are willing to wait for the right buyer, you can get what you want for the horse no matter the economy, but you'll likely have to be patient.

Also, a horse is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Your horse would be worth nothing to someone who only like solids or wasn't interested in a roadster horse, but a lot to someone who wants a tall A pinto roadster horse
default_smile.png

Matt, his youth top tens were in classes of 25 and bigger, not sure about the 3-4 year old and gentlemen to drive SPC I wasnt there, had to come home. I drove him to a 6th in Ladies SPD in a class of 26. Futurity halter was 18 or 20 not sure and Futurity roadster where Silver MEadows horse was first, Parnells horse was 2nd and we were third out of 8 or so.

He was only bred to 1 mare and she hasnt foaled yet. I didnt use him on anyone else.

Lyn

Okay, I normally wouldn't reply to this but since you're asking....
default_biggrin.png

Matt Drown said:
Also, a horse is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Your horse would be worth nothing to someone who only like solids or wasn't interested in a roadster horse, but a lot to someone who wants a tall A pinto roadster horse
default_smile.png
Exactly.
default_yes.gif
Those kind of class results are rightfully impressive and I'm sure he's a nice horse but he wouldn't interest me except at bargain-basement, pay-me-to-take-him kind of prices because I'd only have to geld him at my expense ($250 in my area), I'm not fond of either pintos or palominos, don't show halter or single pleasure and consider his driving training to be a DIS-advantage as I prefer to train my own.

You're going to have to find that person who is looking for exactly what you've got and is willing to pay for it. I think $4,500-$6,000 is a reasonable price in today's market but can see that with his wins you'd be quite justified in asking for more. I've seen enough well-trained, fully-seasoned (7-9 year old) driving geldings and young untrained National Champion-quality halter stallions going for $500-$1,000 recently that I won't pay much more than that. Why should I when if I wait long enough another will come along so much cheaper?
default_unsure.png
I'd rather save my money for showing!
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

$2500 to $4500 on a private sale, (he would bring less at an auction). I know that is a pretty broad range but depending on your area and how much advertising you do that would be the expected market price. He should more readily sell in the $1500 to $2500 range (which is a "gelding" price to me). Not a lot of $$ for his caliber but about what people seem to be willing to pay. In a good (great) year, he should bring $10,000. Unfortunately, no matter what the breed, you never can re-coop all of your training expenses and showing $$ put into top performance horses.

Hey Lyn, I have shown, but do not regularly attend the show circut.

I have seen this pretty boy of yours being advertized, and he is nice enough, and his record speaks for itself, but I personally could not justify the price in my world, as I need a smaller stud for my mares..

( people like me like like the smaller ones, for breeding too.

If he is a quality halter horse, to boot,- I would be showing a different photo with him in a halter type position. This could increase your chances of selling him, as that could make him appeal to the breeding market.

Also if he is a double registered, that would could help accomidate the division B breeders.

The market is slowing down a tad and that needs to be considered in pricing too.

I would hate to tell you to charge less for a horse that you poured so much time and sweat into as well as money, but if you want to move him in todays economy, a lower price, or OBO can help, if you really need to move him.

I purchased a very nice Buckeroo bred mare once for 5500, and 4 years later accepted an offer for her at 2200.
default_no.gif

I did need to move her,- and I know she went to a good home.
default_wub.png

Lyn:

I went to your website and I think you have this horse fairly priced, even in this strained economy.

Frankly, I thought he might be listed even higher. At his age, he hasn't even approached his prime yet as a driving mini. Does he jump or do versatility or liberty? Experience in those classes would, of course, enhance his value.

As a breeding stallion I would want smaller, HOWEVER the bigger ones tend to do better in that height catagory at shows. As you know I LOVE the Palominos so if I were interested, if he had a neg silver test that would mean a great deal. That said I would say between 6000-8000.

I also would list him on some CDE sites as it sounds like he has the temperament for it.

For the training level and show level backing of this horse, I feel it is a very fair price, even if he were a gelding. He does have the size thing going against him for those that breed A or A&R. My preference, as many others is also, is to breed to a stallion that is smaller than the mares. It may take a little time to sell him, with this weeks stock market hits, people are just sitting on there money. Maybe I am just being optimystic, but after a new president is elected, the ecomy tends to temporarily recover, even if it is only for several months.

Regardless, I do think it is a fair price, and if you go lower with a horse with his background, people will start to question what is wrong with the horse, even in todays market, I see ads and do it all the time. Sorry to all of you that have gotten awesome deals on horses, I just steer clear of super low priced animals.

Carolyn

I want to clarify that I am doing this for the horse, I have plenty of room, plenty of feed but nothing for him to do and he is bored and too talented to just sit in the lot in my back yard. He needs a using family either as a stallion that is easily managed by everyone or a gelding driving his heart out. I just dont have time to dedicate to him that he deserves. Im not desparate, I want HIM to be happy and he is happiest when he is working. Thanks to everyone that commented.

Lyn

Latest posts

Back