What Makes a Horse Show Great ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourluckyhorseshoes

Reaction score
Hi Everyone--

I am looking for some suggestions on how to improve horses shows. I know everyone has an opinion on what they like and don't about horse shows. You don't have to name any names of particular shows but I'd love to hear what you really like about a horse show. Here are a few questions to get you thinking:

1. What classes would you like to see offered that aren't usually?

2. Year End Awards-- What do you prefer-- trophy, plaque, grooming bucket, monogrammed tack bags, etc?

3. Do you enter "fun" classes? Why or why not?

4. If there is a discount for entering early do you? If no why not?

5. Do you purchase lunch on the ground--what type of food you like to buy?

6. During the lunch break would you be open to the judge giving general tips for youth and ammy? Or do you just want a break?

7. If there is a photographer there how likely are you to order pictures (given they are decent and good price)?

I'm also wondering from a management perspective is a better to offer a flat fee for unlimited classes or charge a per class fee? Are more entries across classes better than more money in a few ?

Just an FYI this is more targeted towards a non-rated show, but again all input is welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

I am OK with the classes as they are

2. Year End Awards-- What do you prefer-- trophy, plaque, grooming bucket, monogrammed tack bags, etc?

Small non-returnable trophy and a prize of some sort

No, but only because I have physical problems and am limited as to the number of classes I can enter

It would depend. Due to ill health I do occasionally have to cancel and if the classes are expensive I would rather pay a small penalty and enter on the day, with the proviso that if I do not go I then do not have anything at all to pay. I do like the "bulk entry" concessions you sometimes get and this will always encourage me to enter early.

No, I always take food with me, even if I am camping out for a couple of days. I find the food at these events is always vastly overpriced.....sorry, I have no doubt it is good food, it is just that I know how much it costs to make a hotdog or a hamburger!

6. During the lunch break would you be open to the judge giving general tips for youth and ammy? Or do you just want a break?

NO, I don't have time and I don't think the judge would have either, The best time for this sort of thing is the evening between a two day show.

I'm also wondering from a management perspective is a better to offer a flat fee for unlimited classes or charge a per class fee? Are more entries across classes better than more money in a few ?

Brilliant idea, I love this! Offer both and allow the people to choose that way everybody wins.
ETA...I am a SUCKER for photographers- I have never yet been able to leave a show without at least three photos of each horse!! I won't shell out for food but I buy pictures- what can I tell you? I am a Mini addict , there is no cure!!!

Just a couple of points:

I LOVE the flat fee that New England Pinto charges for each division, and then you can enter a second division for only $20 or $25 more! With 9 or so classes in a division, this not only helps keep each exhibitors fees down, it also boosts class sizes! With pointed shows that is a HUGE benefit. The flat fee is usually a bit more than 3 classes would cost.

I will NEVER pre-enter a show if I don't have to but I will send in my entries without fees to help the Show Secretary.

I don't enter the "fun" classes either, as I need to save my energy for the other ones! But if our 4-Hers are going to show, then the fun classes are good.

I think what makes a show fun for ME, is to have it well-run, starting on time and with classes moving right along, and to have the competition be pretty even so that you don't know ahead of time who is going to win.

Hands free obstacle is always fun to watch and gives people a training challenge.

If I'm correct you are asking about an open show, not AMHA/AMHR? Right! If so, here goes. We belong to 4-H and have since 1986, three generations of us. Our club offers open shows open to all breeds, so mini classes are limited, and also offers a circuit.

Now if you join the circuit that means that points are earned and tabulated in alot of divisions, for example: comformation, showmanship, trail, all manner of riding classes, english and western, and used to offer driving but was dropped due to poor attendence. Our shows have five shows a season, running from May to Oct. You enter classes each time you go, and pay as you go, and only pay one circuit fee at the start of the year.

Year end awards consist or many to chose from, the winner of each division, and reserve may chose from several things: a trophy, several designs of plaques, folding captain chairs, buckets containing supplies, halter bags, garmet bags, several others.

All children under the age of seven, such as lead line, walk divisions, walk trot, receive a small trophy plus ribbon. Large ribbons are awarded to tenth place in all divisions.

Food is provided by another 4-H club as a profit for their club, so I usually do buy breakfast and if I stay I'll also buy lunch.

A photographer may be at one or two shows, but I've never bought from them.

Now for the sanctioned AMHA/AMHR shows, I will buy food occasionally, but since I camp in my trailer I do bring some of my own, but my granson always wants to buy.

Also some of the shows we attend give out in place of ribbons, coupons you can spend towards food and tack.

When at sanctioned shows, yes I usually will purchase pictures.

Hi Everyone--

I am looking for some suggestions on how to improve horses shows. I know everyone has an opinion on what they like and don't about horse shows. You don't have to name any names of particular shows but I'd love to hear what you really like about a horse show. Here are a few questions to get you thinking?

1. What classes would you like to see offered that aren't usually? Our local show bills are pretty good. The management has taken to adding in some "non-rated" classes that allow non registered horses to show, or folks just starting out. I really like those, it gets some new folks to the shows.

2. Year End Awards-- What do you prefer-- trophy, plaque, grooming bucket, monogrammed tack bags, etc? GROOMING SUPPLIES!!! Those are always very welcome

3. Do you enter "fun" classes? Why or why not? Not usually. We've been in this a long time, and when we started out, the "fun classes" were the ones that didn't have the trainers and experts. Not saying we are either by a long shot, but like to let maybe some new folks show their stuff.

4. If there is a discount for entering early do you? If no why not? I usually send in my entries early and pay at the show. I still get the discounts but can adjust when I get to the show.

5. Do you purchase lunch on the ground--what type of food you like to buy? Like to have something available, especially with a large show string, or if the show is going very quickly. Can grab something without worrying about where to f ind something to eat.

6. During the lunch break would you be open to the judge giving general tips for youth and ammy? Or do you just want a break? No. Judges should not be speaking to any exhibitors until the close of the show.

7. If there is a photographer there how likely are you to order pictures (given they are decent and good price)? Probably wouldn't

I'm also wondering from a management perspective is a better to offer a flat fee for unlimited classes or charge a per class fee? Are more entries across classes better than more money in a few ? I like having both options. If I have a horse that does lots of things - halter, color, driving, etc. - a flat fee is nice. But for a horse that only shows halter or 1 or 2 driving classes, I want the per class fee.

Just an FYI this is more targeted towards a non-rated show, but again all input is welcome

Hi Everyone--

I am looking for some suggestions on how to improve horses shows. I know everyone has an opinion on what they like and don't about horse shows. You don't have to name any names of particular shows but I'd love to hear what you really like about a horse show. Here are a few questions to get you thinking?

1. What classes would you like to see offered that aren't usually? We go to AMHR/ASPC/ASPR rated shows only. Most of the shows we go to have all the classes we are interested in doing.

2. Year End Awards-- What do you prefer-- trophy, plaque, grooming bucket, monogrammed tack bags, etc? Our club has a wonderful year end program. They give some really nice and useful prizes. There have been halter and harness bags, photo frames, step stools and I can't remember what all--the they also give cash for those that win multiple class entries so they don't get doubles.

3. Do you enter "fun" classes? Why or why not? We usually do not because by the time those classes come around, we are either busy with our regular classes or taking a usually much needed break.

4. If there is a discount for entering early do you? If no why not? Whether there is a discount or not, I try to get my entries in as early as possible. I also send the money for the entries when I send the entries. Having been on the management end of shows, not having the money can cause some real headaches. I can always adjust what is owed at the show and if someone has a ligitimet emergency, most shows will not hesitate to issue a refund.

5. Do you purchase lunch on the ground--what type of food you like to buy? We usually bring our food with us. We are normally running on a shoestring and showground lunches can be costly. If we do buy lunches, it is usually burgers, nachos, or salads. Never hot dogs or fries and seldom brats or fancier sandwiches.

6. During the lunch break would you be open to the judge giving general tips for youth and ammy? Or do you just want a break? No, there isn't enough time for a person to eat and digest their lunch as it is. Also, the judges are there to judge, not teach. They only get to sit down during their breaks and it would not be fair to them to ask them to work over lunch.

7. If there is a photographer there how likely are you to order pictures (given they are decent and good price)? Not very likely, but then I am not likely to buy photos at a National show either. Just not big on pricy photos.

I'm also wondering from a management perspective is a better to offer a flat fee for unlimited classes or charge a per class fee? Are more entries across classes better than more money in a few ? We don't usually show one horse enough times to take advantage of a flat fee. It can be good for those that do. From a management perspective it is ok if there is a early entry rule. Our club had it last year. If you preentered by closing date (aprox 1 week before show) you could have all the classes you wanted for a flat fee, however, if you wanted to add a class after ariving at the show, you needed to pay for that class seperately. You could exchange classes at no cost. (Any class for any of your horses could be dropped and any class for any of your horses could be added and if they were done at the same time, one would take the place of the other at no extra cost) If exhibitors expect to pay a flat fee and then come to shows and add classes for free--well, that can be a management nightmare. Sometimes they will have 40 or 50 added classes and to be sure of which have paid the fee and which haven't means so much time to look it up. I know a list would help, but when you are in a hurry, even looking it up on a list can be time consuming.

Would anyone mind if I used the answers too? They are trying to start a small mini club in the area and This would give us a head start in the planning stages.

The class that they seem to leave out is obstacle Halter and Driving since it takes so long to do it. I love it!

Our club doesn't do year end awards but my sister in Kansas gets all sorts of good things--they call the people asking for ideas with a $ limit.

We normally attend only breed shows and any class that doesn't have points for HOF I don't enter but I will let the grandkids do them.

Yes, for a discount I'll enter early.

Yes, we're now down to me and one grandchild so I'm not going to try to make food, help her change, and get 3 horses ready. Like a variety if possible. It's always hamburgers and hot dogs and greasy fries. Would like chicken, salad, fruit.

No. It's against the AMHR rules and no one has the time for this. I'd love to see the judge give advice but a show isn't the time.

7. If there is a photographer there how likely are you to order pictures (given they are decent and good price)?

I don't usually have the time to look at the show. I'm rushed and exhausted but later if I can look on line and prices are decent (which they never are) I do buy a few pictures. Hey, you only have one life and I simply can't "do all the other things" and take pictures.

Personally love the flat fee but from a management perspective I don't know. Better for points in AMHR to have the larger classes.

Just an FYI this is more targeted towards a non-rated show, but again all input is welcome The only non-rated show I'll attend is our own club and I wish they'd go rated!

I like the current classes, Although one fun class I like is Knock Down and Out which is not normally offered at regular shows.

I prefer something I can use, and won't just sit on a shelf and collect dust

I love fun classes. It allows both yourself and your horse a mental break to just have fun.

I always enter early if its offered, discount or not. 1 less thing to worry about at the show, although I tend to add classes when I get there

Most often yes, I bring snacks but lunch itself I buy there. Most often a hamburger as it is at most shows however I would like pizza, or a salad, or just a plain sandwich

I like this idea, I think it would really help a lot of people and it isn't mandatory so if people don't want to go and just want a break they can. However, it could become problematic for those in a class right after lunch or for the judge, as they would not have a break. of course this depends on how long the break is and how many tips the judge goes over

My mom tends to take her own pictures so I normally just use hers, however if reasonably priced and a great picture I would purchase it.

Latest posts

Back