price of importanting to europe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raine

Reaction score
Would someone be able to tell me the price of importanting say 2 miniatures from the usa....

For example: Texas to the nearest airline to me in Spain that takes in imports from the us ,which i belive would be the UK or Holland..

I never seem to get an answer for this question and i know there are loads of people out there that do this all the time....

Thanks in advance

Hi,

You need to check with the quarantine facilities to get some prices. It can vary a little from facility to facility and see what they offer. Some include transportation to the quarantine station and some don't. You might want to contact Nedpoint Quarter Horses in Oklahoma, Shortview Export, EZ 2 Spot, Oasis, and Quartermoon. All of those are in TX. Good luck!

I agree with Becky that you should check with several places as the prices vary depending on where the horses are you are getting, and the individual quarantine stations.

I am always happier shipping two of my horses as they have a companion. I know that is not always possible though.

If you look either down the page or maybe page 2 there is a thread on just this...if you contact Krissy3 I know she would be more than happy to help you, she is based in Switzerland and is importing a horse from the States right now...

Thanks everyone , i am not importing any horses at the moment ,in fact i havent bought any yet, just seen a few i really like but wanted to get a rough idea on the cost of bringing them over...

I have recently asked and it would be app. 700 Euro for quarantaine and app. 900 Euro for the flight. That would be for young horses or mares shipping together in one container (I hope this is the right word...)

I have recently asked and it would be app. 700 Euro for quarantaine and app. 900 Euro for the flight. That would be for young horses or mares shipping together in one container (I hope this is the right word...)
Thanks for that , its cheaper than i thought, might be getting some new ones sooner than expected
default_biggrin.png

just have to go and be extra nice to my husband now LOL

Rabitfizz is right I am doing this at the moment. I love EZ2spot, they are being really good to me, and helping me with the mountain of very important papers. Quarantine and flight and neccessary vet checks will run you about 2000. if there is a full load to transport, give or take 500 us dollars. You can import to luxemberg or Holland, I dont know about the other countries. Once in Europe you will pay fees to get the horse imported, and tax on the amount you paid for the horse . a T1 form is important , if you dont get this issued you cant leave the airport, I am assuming this will cost too. I was told to expect an aditional 250 Euro to 500 once he is in Europe. This wont include me driving to pick him up and take him home. I love him though and would drive to the moon to have him here. I wish I could post a photo of him maybe I will try. hmm. all the photos are too big , darn. you can see him on the sales page, Utopias American Banner.

have to say , that I looked at a lot of beautiful horses in the US , all worth every penny...i wish i could have chosen more, there were 3 that i would have purchased in a heartbeat if the importing was not so expensive.

Rabitfizz is right I am doing this at the moment. I love EZ2spot, they are being really good to me, and helping me with the mountain of very important papers. Quarantine and flight and neccessary vet checks will run you about 2000. if there is a full load to transport, give or take 500 us dollars. You can import to luxemberg or Holland, I dont know about the other countries. Once in Europe you will pay fees to get the horse imported, and tax on the amount you paid for the horse . a T1 form is important , if you dont get this issued you cant leave the airport, I am assuming this will cost too. I was told to expect an aditional 250 Euro to 500 once he is in Europe. This wont include me driving to pick him up and take him home. I love him though and would drive to the moon to have him here. I wish I could post a photo of him maybe I will try. hmm. all the photos are too big , darn. you can see him on the sales page, Utopias American Banner.have to say , that I looked at a lot of beautiful horses in the US , all worth every penny...i wish i could have chosen more, there were 3 that i would have purchased in a heartbeat if the importing was not so expensive.
Thank you for that, i also have to take into account the fact i have to then get them to me in Spain. So again the price goes up but you are right there are so many wonderful horses to choose from in the US. If i decide to do this i will probably only do it once and get 2 or 3 ...

I just got off the phone with the Basel customs agent ...he was so nice, I could have kissed him. He went through the entire process, told me what will happen , and why , and who to ask for help and who the staff is at the airport , and what documents i have to have..Its really not hard at all, and not too expensive...well a little , but was is money when you are in LOVE with a horse. you can keep me stored in your files , and when the time is right I can help you through the steps, maybe add to your load, as I said the horses in the US are beautiful !!

We have certainly seen many international buyers in the last few months.

The time seems right to import.

I like seeing two go just so they have company. IF it works out for the buyer.

Often if they like a farms horses, they like more than one.
default_smile.png

The only input I can give is what we have experienced in the past with exportation into Europe.
default_wink.png

Like everyone has said it depends on a lot of factors such as number of horses going, size of container needed, transport to the sending airport, inspection fees in Europe, exchange rate dollars to euros etc.
default_biggrin.png

But on average the quotes we have been getting including, US quarantine/transport, airfare and associated costs in Europe the costs are around 24 - 3500.00 per horse all things considered. Which is cheaper than it has been in the past, the exchange rates are good for European buyers right now.
default_aktion033.gif

When we imported Dragon (Darmond Boogerman's Bravado) into the UK a couple of years ago (from our friend Robin at Truejoy Minis) we also used EZ2Spot and they were brilliant to work with. BUT and there are two 'buts' LOL! The first was that the airport taxes and the dreaded VAT we had to pay came to nearly double the amount we had been led to believe - mad scramble to find the extra cash! (cash at the airport makes everything straightforward)

The second 'but' is simply that we had not realised how tired and exhausted these horses can be on arrival - think about all they will have been through during the previous 36 or so hours! Dragon flew into Preswick, Scotland, and I felt so sorry both for those horses continuing their flight to other world wide places and also for those who were collected, loaded into perfectly good trailer stalls, tied up and facing yet another long journey by road on little legs already tired from such a long trip - ok you can call me silly!!

We had our lorry for Dragon, set up with a travelling compartment for him whilst the lorry was moving, but also with an 8 x 6 foot heavily strawed up 'loose box' area (by removing all the other partitions) so that he could be turned loose when we stopped for refreshment en route. He spent an hour in the loose compartment before we left the airport wih a little wet hay and a drink. When we stopped for a meal a couple of hours into our journey home, he was again let loose with more wet hay and his drink. We returned 20 minutes later to find him curled up in the deep straw fast asleep!! He was just so very tired bless him! We waited nearly another two hours before he stirred himself and finally woke up, and we were able to continue on our way!

This is just our experience, but do please allow a little time (and space if possible) to be able to give your little ones a chance of a good rest period before/on that final lap of their long journey to their new homes - they may be more tired than they seem.

Anna

I just got off the phone with the Basel customs agent ...he was so nice, I could have kissed him. He went through the entire process, told me what will happen , and why , and who to ask for help and who the staff is at the airport , and what documents i have to have..Its really not hard at all, and not too expensive...well a little , but was is money when you are in LOVE with a horse. you can keep me stored in your files , and when the time is right I can help you through the steps, maybe add to your load, as I said the horses in the US are beautiful !!
I will take you up on that Krissy, when the time comes....I have been sent some very informative e.mails from a lot of people and it seems the more you bring the better the price....i can see my number going up all ready LOL

When we imported Dragon (Darmond Boogerman's Bravado) into the UK a couple of years ago (from our friend Robin at Truejoy Minis) we also used EZ2Spot and they were brilliant to work with. BUT and there are two 'buts' LOL! The first was that the airport taxes and the dreaded VAT we had to pay came to nearly double the amount we had been led to believe - mad scramble to find the extra cash! (cash at the airport makes everything straightforward) The second 'but' is simply that we had not realised how tired and exhausted these horses can be on arrival - think about all they will have been through during the previous 36 or so hours! Dragon flew into Preswick, Scotland, and I felt so sorry both for those horses continuing their flight to other world wide places and also for those who were collected, loaded into perfectly good trailer stalls, tied up and facing yet another long journey by road on little legs already tired from such a long trip - ok you can call me silly!!

We had our lorry for Dragon, set up with a travelling compartment for him whilst the lorry was moving, but also with an 8 x 6 foot heavily strawed up 'loose box' area (by removing all the other partitions) so that he could be turned loose when we stopped for refreshment en route. He spent an hour in the loose compartment before we left the airport wih a little wet hay and a drink. When we stopped for a meal a couple of hours into our journey home, he was again let loose with more wet hay and his drink. We returned 20 minutes later to find him curled up in the deep straw fast asleep!! He was just so very tired bless him! We waited nearly another two hours before he stirred himself and finally woke up, and we were able to continue on our way!

This is just our experience, but do please allow a little time (and space if possible) to be able to give your little ones a chance of a good rest period before/on that final lap of their long journey to their new homes - they may be more tired than they seem.

Anna
Yes you are very right Anna its a long long Journey for the poor little things and i have heard terrible stories before about importing, so its very very important to get it right and do whats best for them....

Wishing you all the best in welcoming some new little ones to your home
default_smile.png
Please do keep us all updated on how things are going and be sure to post photos of those new darlings when you get them
default_smile.png

Peggy

You all realize that we all feed each others addiction and via the interent it is also catching back and forth across the ocean. But what better way to go. LOL
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

Good Luck with your new babies!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Yes, I am a nervous wreck,
default_ohnoes.jpg
about all this. I know how tired I am when I fly home to the states, with my 2 hour drive to Zurich , and the waiting ..all of it is stressful and tiresome for me , so I can imagine it will be hard for the horse. If you import 2 horses remember you will have 2 horses to pay tax on, 2 quarantine pricetags , 2 vet bills, etc etc... When this is all finished I am expecting a 5,000. dollar bill. The airports , and customs agents do not want cash by the way , they have told me to bring a visa, or debit card. I will do both just in case. Unfortunatly my horse will have to make the trip home to Switzerland from Luxemberg alone in the trailer. I will take all the deviders out and provide deep bedding, and with some luck he will sleep. I do know that he will have to sleep overnight at the airport in luxemberg...i hope I can also sleep in his stall with him that night. In Luxemberg they will ask me for 210 Euro , and 50 Euro for a T1 form, then 2.5 tax of the value of the horse. so I am guessing max.400 Euro , with the exchange rate, that will be another 700 dollars , if I am lucky. now times that by 2 ...
default_new_shocked.gif
..thats a lot of money. It seems like a shared compartment on the flight would lessen the price , but actually it just lessens the space, and doubles the price, from what I understand. My little guy is headed to quarantine on the 24th... please keep us in your prayers and thoughts, for the next month or so .
default_pray.gif
default_luck.gif

Thanks

Kristen

Latest posts

Back