Premie foal in hospital, various issues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I've taken a deep breath and I'm better now.

I went by the hospital to see her after work and got a chance (briefly) to talk to the vet. They took her off the continuous IV this morning and put her in with mom full-time. She's been downgraded from Critical Care to Intensive Care which will cost us about $450 per day instead of the $1250 a day she's currently at. If she continues to improve, she will be moved down to normal hospital care on Thursday which is about $325 per day.

So far, being with mom is not hurting her any. Her temp is back to normal, and they've been drawing blood 4x per day and so far (2x) today things look pretty good. She still has diarrhea pretty much all the time. They gave her some BioSponge - about a tablespoon.

I asked about a milk replacer and/or the possibility that she's incompatible with the mother's milk, about the RH thing and about probiotics. The vet basically said none of those things are warrented at this time - either because (in her opinion) there is no evidence that they work or because she says it's not the answer in this case. She didn't say it like that, but that's basically what it boiled down to.

I really appreciate everyone offering advice - that's exactly what I asked for and needed. My gut tells me that she doesn't need to be there anymore, but I'm still so new to this I'm afraid to bring her home. We brought her home once and she nose-dived very quickly.

When this is all over and she's home (keeping fingers crossed!), I'll post info from the billl listing exactly what all they did to her. Maybe it will be helpful is some way to someone in the future and that this all won't be unnecessary money that I spent. If she pulls through it will have been worth it. If she doesn't it will have been an expensive lesson learned. Just not sure what the lesson is yet.

Thanks again to everyone! You're the best!

And on a final note, regardless of how insensitve Jane's post seemed, I wish I hadn't responded in the way that I did. I'm both emotionally and financially exhausted at this point. I didn't enjoy reading "should haves" (whether the applied or not) with my baby like she is, but that isn't an good reason to suggest someone is looney.

WOW those are some very expensive prices is she at a university do you mind me asking? Although I know when we had a foal in ICU it was pretty pricey and alot of that was paying for the extra attention from the vet techs and the 15 min checks and stuff

I am glad to hear that she seems to be doing better

[SIZE=14pt]i have been watching your thread and i am glad to hear your baby is doing a little better
default_yes.gif
: . i have had my mini donkey at a vet hosiptal going on 3 weeks now, i am shocked at the amount of your bill
default_unsure.png
: . mine is high but i can't imagine those prices you are paying...i guess i am very lucky because we could not of done what you are doing. good luck and i will be keeping you all in my thoughts, Nikki[/SIZE]

i cannot imagine the vet telling you probio's don't work....... and it's not like it would HURT her to have them they area harmless bioflora for the digestive track... i think it sounds like your gut is telling you the right thing in that she probably doens't need to be there anymore...but hard telling i guess. I know i give my babies probio's the day they are born and for about 2 weeks after on a daily basis. I use Kyodphilus capsles (just a dry form of acidophilus) and mix it with yogurt and put it in a big wormer type syringe and just dose them daily. really seems to help i haven't had problems with scours (diareah) at all from using it ect.

NO ADVICE HERE JUST LOST OF PRAYERS BEING SENT YOUR WAY
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: I HOPE YOU FILLY KEEPS IMPROOVING SHE IS A ABSOLUTE DOLL AND YOU ARE DOIG EVERYTHING YOU CAN FOR HER.

BEST WISHES,

CRYSTAL
default_smile.png

I think we are all pulling for you and your little one - so good to hear that it seems there has been some improvement! Sorry for the financial troubles, I know if it was me I'd be out hunting furiously for another job if I was in your spot - that is a LOT of money.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much for your post, I think many of us in a stressful situation like that would have reacted a little less gracefully than we might have later liked if we felt that someone was attacking us. Very gracious of you to apologize
default_yes.gif
:

i cannot imagine the vet telling you probio's don't work.......
I think that Bio Sponge is a form of probiotic? Not sure, though.

Oh gosh my heart goes out to you. I'm praying that things work out for you.

I can't believe I forgot this! An important piece of information is that the mare had placentitis (sp?). The placenta was very thick in some places and very thin in others. The vet said it weighed 4 lbs and that was way too much for a mini foal. I was told the placenta shouldn't weigh more than 10% of the foal's weight. The foal weighed 16lbs.

Parmela, I am very sorry I have nothing to offer by way of advice. I don't know anything about this kind of thing.

I just want you to know that I am very sorry this has happened and I am sending you best wishes for a very speedy recovery for your baby.

So glad your little filly is doing better, I pray you will have her and your mare home with you soon
default_smile.png

Have just read this thread, it sounds like your baby is on the right track. Not much I can add to the good suggestions you have already had, but will tell you we had a foal who needed IV for several days - the vet sent him home with IV needle in place and I was able to run it myself.

Hope she continues to improve -

Jan

Oh Parmela,

I'm so sorry to read that your filly is still in the hospital. I'd hoped to hear that she was bouncing back and home with you by now! I wish I could offer any advice beyond what others have suggested
default_sad.png
. I would personally just bring her home and treat her as best you can. One thing I do have experience with (but it wasn't on a preemie foal) is ulcers...I had a colt that seemed fine for the first 5 days or so, but then developed the runs and was getting lethargic. The vet thought he was colicing, so just gave us Banamine for him...which I didn't understand, but I asked her if she could prescribe some gastroguard for us and she did. Within a week he was 95% better and eventually made a full recovery. I think something to do with the bacteria in her intestines, or maybe the start of ulcers (due to the stress of her being in the hospital etc) could be an avenue to check out. I don't know about her other levels being out of whack, but I hope you are able to pull her through this....she's a pretty little thing!

Congratulations to your filly she is gorgeous.

You doing a great job Pamela! Hope you can bring Mira and her mom home soon.

Keep us posted

Anita

She's so precious. I hope she gets strong and gets to come home real soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe I forgot this! An important piece of information is that the mare had placentitis (sp?). The placenta was very thick in some places and very thin in others. The vet said it weighed 4 lbs and that was way too much for a mini foal. I was told the placenta shouldn't weigh more than 10% of the foal's weight. The foal weighed 16lbs.
That is very important info!

Your baby could have been suffering from more than one problem, which could have complicated things. The initial problem could very likely have been the RH factor, as Tony pointed out. With the above info given, it could also have been she went Septic on you. Sometimes this doesn't raise it's ugly head until the baby is a day or several days old. Sometimes a foal can be born Septic from the womb, others can develop Septicemia after birth.

The third problem that can happen in a vet hospital is Salmonella. Please be sure your little girl is tested for that before she comes home. AND with all the medicines she's had she can be more prone to an ulcer, if not now, perhaps later over the next number of months and into her yearling year. (Just something to watch for.....and fortunately can be easily treated.)

In any case -- with the above possiblities I mentioned, you were on the ball and got her help - which saved her life. I agree with many of the posts........She sounds like she is either stable enough or close to it where she could probably come home very soon and be cared for by you. You are more capable than you think you are!

MA

This may not be the appropriate time or place for this, but once you are over this episode, I suggest that you call other vets to check prices. I have had many, many horses hospitalized over the years, but no price near what you are being charged. When Top Cat was in the hospital after the dog attack, he was there for eleven days and my total bill was $536. I know that that is very cheap, but I have compared prices at all the vet hospitals within 100 miles. My c-sections are around $350 and I got an estimate from another hospital that I no longer use for $3,250 for the exact same operation. Shop around BEFORE you need the service.

Latest posts

Back