Pregnate mares and hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNR

Reaction score
Hello

My mare is due to foal anyday now I have had her off Fescue hay for 2 months now just to make sure it was all out of her system today she got out for about 10 mins in the other feild and was eating the hay that has fescue in it. My question is is a few mouth fulls going to hurt her? and how worryed should i be?

Thanks

RNR

I am by no means an expert, but the idea I had about fescue is that it thickens the placenta, causing the bag to be very difficult to break open for the foal. As far as I know, it isn't that it is a toxin it just makes for a very difficult birth, with that being said, and as long as that is correct, no, a few mouthfuls isn't going to instantly cause damage (but it still isn't a good idea to allow the mare to graze there)

Please, someone correct me if this is the wrong train of thought!

Carolyn

Carolyn, I was thinking the same thing as you, but I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I don't know.........but I doubt that a few mouthfuls would make a difference.......Suspect that it's the buildup of the endophyte in the fescue that causes the problems. But I'm not a vet.

MA

Thanks guys!

That is what I was thinking just wanted anothers thoughts on the subject! The gate between her and the other pen now has 3 clips on it this mare loves to cause problems!!

RNR

Latest posts

Back