pregnant or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimlucky13

Reaction score
i have a 5 year old mare who I recently purchased. She has an 8 month old filly and I was told that she had been bred back (which I'm not 100% clear on). According to the women I purchased her from she was bred July 8/9 of 2007 which would make her due June 15 give or take. My problem is that I am new to the horse world and babies and I'm not sure what to expect. At one point I think she is pregnant and at other times I'm not sure. I tried listening for a heartbeat but I'm not sure where to listen and what to listen for. I also did this while she was eating so there were several sounds going on in there. I can't tell by her bag, because her filly is still with her and occassionally trying to nurse (which mamma is putting a halt to) so i'm a little confused. Is there any way of knowing this without a vet call or do I just wait and see if I end up with a baby in June? I had the vet out earlier for a case of colic with the filly, and told him I was told she was pregnant, he glanced at her and said she looked healthy. My sister in law says she is getting fatter, but I can't tell, with the winter coats and the fact that I see her twice a day, she looks the same to me. Any pointers on figuring this out or is it just a waiting game?

Well, number one, you need to wean the filly from her side. That is added strain on a mare that is still trying to produce milk and trying, if she is pregnant to grow a baby.

I would have the vet out and confirm that she is in foal. This expense will more than pay for itself. If you are a first time owner and have never experienced a birthing, it would be better to know, than not. This way you can have an idea as to when she is due and if she is open you won't lose any sleep.

Also between now and the expected arrival, I would see if there is an experienced breeder in your area that can give you some information on foaling. This is invaluable to a first time owner.

Good luck with your mare and new filly.

Well, number one, you need to wean the filly from her side. That is added strain on a mare that is still trying to produce milk and trying, if she is pregnant to grow a baby.

I would have the vet out and confirm that she is in foal. This expense will more than pay for itself. If you are a first time owner and have never experienced a birthing, it would be better to know, than not. This way you can have an idea as to when she is due and if she is open you won't lose any sleep.

Also between now and the expected arrival, I would see if there is an experienced breeder in your area that can give you some information on foaling. This is invaluable to a first time owner.

Good luck with your mare and new filly.

I have been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on. The filly is weaned, she just tries every now and then and the mare is having none of that. I am going to have the vet out for all of the horses shots, but I am just dying to know now!! I'm pretty sure she is pregnant, my stallion has been in the stall and fence beside her and has not acted like a lunatic (other than the typical nipping at her and the filly) so I would say she hasn't come in season at all. While I am responding to your response, I have another question, should I move the filly away from mom when the time gets closer or will she be ok. I have seen mares give birth with many other mares and geldings around.

I find that mares in the colder climates do not come into season in the winter months. We sometimes have a problem getting mares to come into season in March and April. Also, if your mare was bred in July,it is possible for her not to be showing much at this time (especially with all of the hair), as it is still early. Some of my mares do not get bigger till the end.

I agree, I would get the vet out to have her Ultrasounded. I would not have her palpated unless your vet is female with small hands.

Kimlucky13,

I would move her daughter to another pen prior to foaling. And your mare should be brought into a stall with clean bedding. Yes, in the larger herds many horses are forced to foal out with many other individuals around. But in the wild mares will usually move away from the herd and find a quiet out of the way place that is safe and well hidden. That way she is able to have her foal without distraction or fear of being attacked by wild animals.

We take this natural behavior out of the picture when we manage herds on small pastures and paddocks. I would not chance allowing your mare to foal out with the filly or any other horse, if possible. Hopefully you have a place for her to safely have this foal. It needs to be a stall with plenty of room for the mare to move around. And room enough for you to safely and comfortable be in attendence if needed. Since you don't know this mare or her foaling history you will be going blind with regards to how she will react to you in close proximaty. Some mares appreciate the help, some want nothing but to be left alone.

You will need to have several items on hand during the foaling, and this is where contacting someone in your area, that has had ALOT of experience foaling mares, becomes important.

I hope all goes well for you. Do one thing, dont' wait to have your mare checked, get it done now. This will ease your mind.

Latest posts

Back