Pregnant mares and foaling!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weelovely214

Reaction score
Im so excited! Just got two new girls. Both are bred for 2012 foals. I have some questions.

What are the opinions on the Rhino vaccine?

When pasture bred, is there a way to tell how many days they are or when they concieved?

I plan to test milk when they start to get it to get a better idea of when they are foaling. These mares are very sweet, but have not been messed with and FREAK OUT when you touch near their udder. I plan to just make a habit of rubbing the belly every night and just get closer and closer until they are used to it. Has anyone else had mares that were super sensitive down there?

Also, what are your opinions on selling in-utero foals?

This will be my first foaling experiance with minis. I have been breeding full size horses for a while. Any tips would be great!

Has anyone else had mares that were super sensitive down there?
Yes, and she's finally getting better after 4-5 years. Since it turns out my stallion was infertile, she hasn't foaled, yet, but its still taking a ton of petting/rubbing her belly to convince her its no big deal. Initially, she seriously cow-kicked and got mad in general about it, now she just gives me a dirty look.

Back