preggo mare teasing studs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbiedoll68346

Reaction score
We have a mare that I am pretty sure is bred. She has just started teasing our studs at the fence when we turn her out, a couple of mornings ago my daughter and I stood and watched her out the window and saw her belly flipping, flopping, and jumping, it definitely looked like foal movement and she was fidgeting her hind feet and jerking them. She has a slight bag and a very large swollen gland in front of her bag. She is pretty overweight so it is hard to tell if she is pregnant for sure.

A couple of days ago I would have said definitely pregnant. Now that she has started teasing I do not know what to think, she does not squat for them just stands there and raises her tail. Could she just be a real hussy???????? Anyone had any experience with this before.

Thanks,

Barb

maybe she just likes teasing them! my 2yr old is like that at every show with the studs and geldings, even when shes not in heat and then she gets mad when they try to put the moves on her
rolleyes.gif

I have a vet checked preggo mare (just 2 weeks ago)that is definitely teasing my stallion. She goes to the fence and puts her nose through, and swishing her tail. Then snorts and walks off - little tease!!

I also had a mare vet checked in foal about 3 weeks ago, who would have been due may 5th...still no baby and showing bad heat signs so
default_frusty.gif
your guess is as good as mine!! It's so confusing isn't it????

I have 2 or 3 mares that do this every year. In fact I added it to my log of "foaling signs" for these particular mares. Mine seem to do it a week or two before they foal. I always figured as they got close to foaling the hormonal changes made them a little confused!!
default_smile.png
I even had one that we decided must not have settled because she was acting like that. I threw her back out with the herd where she was thoroughly and soundly bred by my stallion. Three weeks later I walked out to chore and found a beautiful palomino filly bouncing around the pasture! Go figure! With horses, it is Anything Goes!

I also had a mare do that this year as well. About a month before she foaled she became a real hussy and loved all the boys on the farm. It's a hormone thing
laugh.gif

Back