Prayers needed.. Mare colicing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our vet told us that the manure that mucous covered is manure that has been in the intestines for a while so it would be perfectly normal.

So happy she's doing better.

Whew! I was reading this thread holding my breath, hoping for good news. Thank goodness she is doing better!!! :aktion033:

HURRY POOP :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Thinking of you?
default_wub.png
: :saludando:

The mucous is quite normal after an impaction, which sounds like what your mare had.Just be sure you keep things moving.After colic I often make a mash with sloppy bran or use beet pulp if you have it.Many times impaction colics are caused by too little water intake.If you are in a sandy area like I am, I feed psyllium daily to avoid sand colic and impaction. I am not a vet, just have way too much experience with colics, sand colics and impaction colics.Fresh grass also helps get things moving, but that is hard to come by in many parts of the country at this time of year.I am lucky I have 1 small patch in a sheltered are near the barn.

Sounds like she passed her impaction!
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with the above......give her lots of wet food for a while. The dry manure was probably part of her problem and may have irritated her intestines a bit.

MA

Vet was just here and said she heard good gut sounds today. I'm going easy on the hay (Maybe none) and give lots of beet pulp. I feel so stupid about not watching the water consumption as carefully. As Dr. B

says we seem to have caught her right at the beginning of the colic. Thank you so much for

you posts and prayers they do help a lot.
default_smile.png

im so happy!! when diamond colicked last month and finally passed it was the same way. very hard and crumbly and covered in mucus which means it sat in the intestine too long and shows a lack of water intake

Latest posts

Back