Prayers needed for Lilly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our prayers are with you and your foal. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't blame yourself. You didn't do it intentionally! Unfortunate accidents happen.

I had *no* reason to ever think those little stopper things wouldn't work, but now I know better and will put my wormer (and other meds) into something else before I give it to my boys. I know that doesn't help you and your situation and I am so sorry. Our prayers are with you. The power of prayer is amazing.

Lots of prayers coming your way!! Please keep us posted on her progress.

On Dec. 31st I overdosed a mare on accident. In our case she only got double the dose of equimax. I know from talking to our vet and Pfizer's vet how serious your filly's situation is and I will be praying that she makes a complete recovery.

Hugs,

default_pray.gif
I hope she get better. My 8 month old colt got a little more one time, he moved and my mom slipped and we weren't sure how much more he got but my riding instructor said he should be fine. He just has alittle runs. so don't blame yourself, it was not yor falt at all. ..... I just had an idea, they should make miniature horse dewormers so these things won't happen, i bet it would be pretty popular. Kepp us posted.

Sending prayers for your precious little girl. I hope that the product you used is similar to the ivermectin products here, which, as Angie said, have a huge safety margin. I too accidentally overdosed a weanling mini colt with a FULL TUBE of Ivermectin paste, and no ill effects. I did it one time to a mini mare as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is Lilly doing? Don't beat yourself up - we have all had unfortunate accidents happen. That happened to me once with "Quest" and a bred mare - yes Quest before I knew it was bad stuff. Luckily nothing happened. Obviously once we learned about Quest we never attempted to use it again. I hope your little one has no ill effects. We will pray for her.

Hope she makes a FULL recovery! I am sorry you had to go threw this. Will be

thinking of you. Best of luck.

Checking in to see how little Lilly is doing this morning. Hope all is well and she is back to her old self. It is so scary when things like this happen to our precious little horses. Hugs for Lily and for you, also.

I hope she is doing OK, and isn't showing any signs of damage. Please don't feel too badly, it was an accident, and you immediately took whatever steps you could to counteract what happened.

For anyone who was wondering what kind of dewormer she used, I looked up Equiban, and this is what I found:

Equiban Paste 35g

Aniseed flavoured broad spectrum horse wormer. For the control of Large strongyles (Strongylus spp), small strongyles (Cyathostomes), large roundworm (Parascaris equorum) and pinworm (Oxyuris equi). Good activity has also been demonstrated against tapeworm (Anoplocephala perfoliata) and lumen dwelling immature forms of Trichonema spp, Triodontophorus spp and Strongylus vulgaris.

Active ingredient: Morantel tartrate 150 mg/mL

Dosage and Administration:

35g/560kg bodyweight; horses of all weights up to and including 560kg can be treated from one syringe by adjusting the dose setting. Place the nozzle of the syringe into the side of the mouth and deposit the medication as far back (over the top of the back of the tongue) as possible and not between the cheek and teeth.

A year round prevention and treatment program will vary with climatic conditions. In general, all horses should be wormed every six to eight weeks, starting at 2 months of age. All horses introduced to a property should be wormed on arrival.

Specific recommendations for control of the most important parasite species are as follows.

Tapeworm (Anoplocephala perfoliata). Treat every six weeks.

Roundworm (Parascaris equorum). Commence treatment at 7 weeks of age and repeat monthly until 6 months of age. Treat pregnant and lactating mares every four to six weeks. Round worms are not susceptible to horse wormers until they reach the gut of the foal at 6 to 7 weeks of age. Therefore, treatment earlier than this age is not usually warranted.

Bloodworms and redworms (Strongylus sp., Cyathostomes), pinworms (Oxyuris equi). Repeat treatment every six weeks, commencing at 3 months of age.

Withholding period: Meat:28 days

Pack size: 35g paste syringe

Hoping to hear that Lily is doing okay this morning...........???

Goodmorning everyone.

We had a terrible night with Lil. She was so lethargic all day she would get up to nurse and pick a little grass then go straight back to sleep. 3 times throughtout the night I had to shake her (vigourosly) to wake her up. We mentally prepared ourselves that she maybe was slipping into a coma.

I made a bed up outside with them and fell asleep around 3am (I think). I woke at 6am to my dog licking my face. Lilly was up and grazing with her mum in the paddock (we have a small paddock just off our house yard and I leave the gate open so they have the run of both and access to their barn).

I stood at the barn door and called out to her, she came bolting to me with that little tail in the air, nickering all the way. She has that cheeky little spark back in her eye. I ran through all the training Ive done with her so far and perfect, no neurological damage that I can tell. This is just amazing its like someone flicking a light switch.

I sincerley thankyou all from the bottom of my heart, you have truly helped us through this.

Through the power of prayer we still have the light of our lives.

Thankyou for sharing your own experiences and tips with wormers. Im glad this may have made some newbies aware of what can happen. I know I will be measuring the paste out into a seperate syringe from now on.

As Im posting this both mum and bub are looking at me through the door
default_wub.png
Just when I thought I couldnt cry anymore, the happy tears are flowing.

My hubby wants me to thankyou all, you have touched his heart.

Karen

Australia

Phew
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I was afraid to read the update but am SO happy I did and got to hear the good news
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Very glad to hear that everyone is well! Have been hanging on waiting to hear by my toenails!

Awwww! I am so glad she is ok! It brought tears to my eyes to hear she is fine! I am so happy for you!

Latest posts

Back