Prayers for my puppy, please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
Well, I thought I had found Turke a permaent, loving home with me- till last night.

We had done our normal things, feeding the Minis, cleaning water buckets (the hose finally thawed out) so when we went home, I left my 9 week old JRT puppy out of his pen to play with us. I have had him a little over a week. Mags brought him down when she came. Everyone seemed to get along, Forrest would even play with him.

I was working on my computer when I hear Turke snarl, the puppy cry and as I turned around Toby, the puppy, is writhing on the floor- then stopped. I picked him up and he was limp, I honestly thought he was dead. He wasn't breathing, but I could feel his heart beating. I tried mouth to mouth, nothing seemed to work. I thought maybe something was stuck in his throat, so I stuck my finger down and he gagged and started breathing. Called my friend Jane, she came flying over, and called my regular vet. He was on an emergency call, he recommended the emergency clinic- we took off. Toby is breathing, but struggling for breath. He already has a heart murmer, I knew that when he was given to me.

Got to the clinic, they took him in right away. Gave him some drugs, took X rays and put him in an oxygen chamber. The Dr came in and showed me the X rays, fortunately nothing is broken, didn't look like any internal damage. He does have fluid in his lungs, Dr thought it was bruising. He couldn't stand or walk, though, and they were treating him for shock and fluid in his lungs.

Vet called this AM, he's still with us, ate a little food. Can crawl on his tummy, falls over if he stands and turns his head. Neurologist will look at him today.

I KNOW it's not Turke fault. Toby probably irritated him to the point he got ticked off. I also, am guilty of not keeping an eye on them. I will never forgive myself.

But I can't even look at Turke right now. It's a shame. He's sweet, funny, totally obedient, listens, doesn't steal, crate trained, the whole works. And I just don't want him around. When I picked Toby up last night after the attack, and he was limp like a stuffed animal and I thought he was dead, well.... I never want to see that again.

Please, prayers for my Toby, and for Turke, too.

Lucy

Oh Lucy,,,,,,,,,,you will all be in my thoughts,,,,,,,,,,best of luck,,,,,,,,and keep us up to date.

I am so sorry how scary for you. I know it is hard to not blame yourself or turke but logic and emotion are hard to seperate.

I am sure he didnt mean to reprimand the pup so hard he sounds like a dog who tries so hard to be good and please.

Our border collie can be like this as can our male chi (our pups grandpa) the border collie really is very patient and a good baby sitter she loves the puppies and they love her- most times she is trying to fit in there bed with 5 pups biting any part of her they can get (usually her tail or feet or nose) she has growled at them a few times and I know she can attempt to stop them to strongly simply due to her size. To be honest I am more worried though about the male Chi he is more there size but strongly dislikes them all.

Anyway all of that was simply to just say I know and you know it was a dog being a dog and surely not even trying to be mean or hurt your puppy but none of that can take away the horrible feeling you had when you picked up that puppy

Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Oh no, I am so sorry. I wonder if Turke may have punctured Toby's lung? I sure hope he will be OK. Good Luck Lucy...keep us posted.

I am you puppy gets well.

I so sorry to hear this about your puppies

Are both dogs Females or Males?The lab is used to being the only one most likely.

melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
I am you puppy gets well.

I so sorry to hear this about your puppies

Are both dogs Females or Males?The lab is used to being the only one most likely.

melissa

I actually have two labs and the jack... all are males, both Labs are neutered. Puupy will be when he's old enough... Turke wasn't even the first here, Forrest was.

Lucy

Oh I'm so sorry for your little boy! I must've missed something I did'nt know you had gotten a puppy. I hope your little guy comes out ok from the vets...I know how heartwrenching it can be to have something wrong with one of your babies. Hope he recovers real soon.

Surrounding your baby with pure healing light. Let us know he does please.

default_pray.gif
: for a fast recovery.

Don't blame Turke, might just need more time, and didn't know she hurt the new pup.

Was just trying to teach her to leave her alone. :new_shocked:

hope your little guy is ok... i know you feel guilty, been there done that! but it's a dog thing... i'm sure, just like at our house, the smaller younger one was being a pest, and the older bigger one didn't really mean to get so rough... you may have the same issue we have, our JRT mix raised with a great dane and another HUGE mutt... he thinks he is as big as they are :new_shocked:

sending good thoughts your way for the whole situation, please let us know how the little guy does

Hello,

I am sorry for what you are going thru.

Hope the little guy is okay.

And it is normal to feel the way you do about Turke I would think.

Hugs
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie

Lucy, I am so sorry to hear about your puppy. I also think its very common to feel the way you are about Turke. I think he just needed more time to adjust to the puppy. I had something similiar happen when I had my 4 great danes and puppies, my male dane (he was intact) hated one particular puppy...his own son, my pups somehow managed to get out of my puppy room :bgrin :bgrin and waddle down the hallway..oh just happy little campers, my male took off after the one he always seemed to dislike, got along great with all the rest and was such a good daddy dog, except for this one. We ended up running him into the vet too, and he (my puppy ) was treated for shock. He did recover without any problems. Hoping everything goes well for you pup. Sounds like there is a improvement today already. :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: Corinne

Poor puppy! It made me cry to read that.

I very much understand your feelings about Turke right now. I bet he feels really bad and I hope you can forgive him soon. He's a good boy.

Prayers sent to your puppy and this is for you {{{{{Lucy}}}}}

Sending prayers, and good wishes for your little man. Please keep us updated on how he is doing
default_wub.png
:

The risks of keeping big dogs with little dogs are very real. I am so sorry you're having to go through this and hope Toby pulls through and you can forgive Turke. Dogs will be dogs.

Jack Russell's are about the toughest little dogs going! One night when I was at work our shepard got into it with one of my Jack's, Robbie, who was my absolute favorite dog ever, and he tore him up so badly the vet put 190 stitches into him and 17 litres of fluid to replace the blood loss. His throat was torn open and when my husband came into the vets office (I got there first) he was soaked from the waist down with blood, his white running shoes were red. Robbie was hanging in his arms, I rolled his lip up and his gums were pure white! Robbie came through it and 3 days later was running around (limping but running!) Your little guy will come through it too I am sure. I know exactly how you feel about your older dog and I did end up finding another home for our shepard mostly just because I knew I could never treat him as well as he deserved because, although it wasn't really his fault, I couldn't really forget it and we hadn't had the shepard for very long (my husband rescued him), Robbie was 10 at the time and I had him since he was a pup. I am sure if you give it time having had your Turke for quite a while and knowing he is at heart a very good dog you will be able to forgive and forget. Best wishes for the wee ones complete recovery.

Back