Prayers AND Determination Worked!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Untamed

Reaction score
For the last several years, Lovepatch Farms has been providing foaling services for outside mares - Each year has brought us many beautiful foals and many new friends. But as has been said many times on this forum, "breeding and foaling" are not for the faint of heart. This last foaling clearly proved that!

About a week ago, this little mare looked ready to go. Nice size bag, the foal had dropped, waxed teats, sticky fluid, and relaxed vulva. She was working on positioning the foal, rolling, stretching, etc. all night long. All systems a "go". We were keeping a careful eye on her on camera. Next morning, bag was smaller, and she almost looked like she had regressed a couple of steps. Oh, well, guess Mother Nature and the mare's hormones weren't quite in agreement as to her foaling date . . .

This regressed "status" went on for a week and this Monday, things changed. Bag was again large and all signs pointed to an eminent foaling. Monday night all she did was pace and stomp her back legs and kick at her belly. The strange thing is that she did not lay down once the entire night. She was totally miserable and I was starting to worry. This was not a maiden mare. This was to be her 5th foal. Her prior foaling history showed all easy text book deliveries. By all rights, this foal should just pop out. It should be an easy birth for this experienced mare. But it wasn't. My worries were well justified!

Tuesday morning she finally laid down around 6:30 am. We were out to the barn in a flash as we never went to bed and were still fully dressed. Her water never really broke, but she was down pushing hard and nothing was really happening. A couple of minutes later we saw one foot and leg start to emerge, but nothing more. I started to get a really bad feeling about how things were progressing and I decided not to wait any longer and went in to take a look, praying that I would feel the other leg and nose right there. Nope, all I felt was the one already exposed leg. I reached back in further past the pelvic rim and at first all I could feel was a big round lump - almost thought it was a breech presentation, but checking the exposed foot told me it was a front leg and so what I was feeling was the head, neck and left shoulder. The head was turned back and the right leg was all the way back, not just at the knee but all the way back and tucked under the right shoulder. I called my Vet and and a neighbor and left an urgent message on both their answering machines . . .

We really had our work cut out for us and time was ticking away. After a lot of effort I managed to get the right leg forward and and in normal birthing position. My plan was to be able to push the foal back in past the pelvic rim and see if I couldn't then grab the head and rotate it. I tried, God how I tried, my partner tried. My neighbor who has foaled out many horses and even teaches a class in equine reproduction tried. We all failed. So here we have an exhausted mare who is in total agony, with two legs out . My heart cried as I told her "I just can't get your baby out". I gave her 2cc's of Banamine for pain, and just then my Vet calls. He says, see if you can get her up and walking and I'll be there as quick as I can. 15-20 minutes later he is here. The clock is ticking and we are about out of time. It's now right about 8 am.

My vet checks the foal, syringes in two big syringes of J-Lube to help remoisturize the mare. He tries to reposition the head. Can't be done. It's time to use a chain to try and pull the foal as after this long most likely the foal is dead and our thought is to save the mare. I tell him please try to remove the foal as gently as possible to see if it is by some miracle still alive. He says he will try. Precious minutes pass and the hooks and chain work!! He is able to turn the head. Once this has been done the foal is quickly out.

The baby is on the grass, not looking alive. I start rubbing him all over with a dry towel. Briskly, briskly. Trying my best to stimulate him. I stop for a second, take a look and think I see a shudder and a quick breath. My God, I think he's alive!!! The Vet checks and sure enough, he feels a faint heartbeat. My Vet quickly breathes into the foal's little lungs to help them expand, once, twice . . . five times. His eyes are twitching and dialating. The Vet thinks he may be showing signs of oxygen deprivation. What to do???? If he is oxygen deprived, the best thing to do is put him down now. I say NO. He's made it this far, let's give this miracle baby a chance and see what happens. He gives him a sublingual injection to help stimulate his heart, and I keep rubbing him dry. The mare sees what is going on and nickers to him - he responds by trying to stand up! Can you believe it?????

It is now 8:30. This "birth" has taken two hours and this spunky little foal is ALIVE. The mare finally stands to see her new little one and we milk out 60cc's of colostrum. Tube the baby, put on a warm little blanket and bring him and Mom back to a clean dry foaling stall. We are all standing there looking at the little pair with our mouths open, hardly able to believe what has just happened. The Vet is just shaking his head. Even though he has worked with minis for years, he still can't believe the tenacity and heart of these tiny little horses . . . I give him a truly grateful hug and tell him . . . well Mark, miracles do happen and after all this is Lovepatch Farms"!

Well it's now 36 hours later - his grateful owners drove 2-1/2 hours each way to come and see their miracle baby, and both baby and Mom are doing fine. He is showing NO abnormal signs and eating well . . .

So after all the elation and emotion my thought are these: I truly believe that the prayers we say on behalf of our little horses and the love and determination that they evoke in us as their caretakers touch all those we come in contact with and help make us and our world a better place. And, sometimes you have to go with your gut feelings and intuition, even though everyone else might not agree, because if we keep trying and don't give up whatever the task, sometimes WE DO WIN and it makes all the effort truly worthwhile :saludando:

Wow Lee - you are really fortunate with that one! Congratulations on all the hard work and good outcome.

We've had one like that (the filly had strangled on her cord), so very difficult to extract - the vets finally did after sedating the mare and the combined efforts of three people.

I didn't know you were foaling out for others - good for you. It's hard for people to find someone dedicated and experienced to use.

Lucky mare and baby - are you going to post photos of the little Miracle?

What a wonderful story....thanks for sharing, and congrats to the new owner of this new little wonder horse! :aktion033:

wow what an amazing story!! i know too well the stress you were under trying to get that baby out.

I'm so glads your foal made it. Our was presented almost the same except both front legs were folded back. Unfortunatly he didn't make it, but you live and learn. Angain Congradulations on your little Miricale Boy.

Oh I can barely see to type! What a wonderful story and I thank you for sharing it. Congratulations to you and yours and the mare, hugs to the vet big time! Now we need pics of this Momma's Miracle Man!

WOW what a heartwrenching yet heartwarming story. I could feel your anxiety and I'm SO very glad things turned around - my throat was closing up reading it!!!!

Congratulations to you, your incredible vet and the colt's owners....miracles like this are what it's all about!!!!

Please post pictures of this determined little man!!!

Wow!! Inspirational story! Wonderful ending. Can't wait to see a picture of this Miracle Colt...

God Blessed you and your efforts to make it happen. AMEN

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful and heart-felt experience. It's times like that which make you realize how dependent the are upon you and veterinary help. Gosh, what an amazing little fellow and strong mare!

Please do post pictures, can't wait to see him.

Amazing story indeed!

If the owners won´t mind we would love to see pics of their, and your, miracle!
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tears in my eyes!

Thank god for miracles!!!!!

Yes,...A pic of the little one would be great,..sooo we can put a face to this happy ending!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! :aktion033:

WOW!!!! I am so glad he made it!!!!!!!!!! I would never had guessed he would survive with the time it took to get him out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRULY A MIRACLE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

What a wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing that. I had tears of joy in my eyes as I read to the end. It was like watching a beloved tear jerker happy movie. God bless that spunky little foal!

That truly is a miracle baby! Thank God you were there and recognized a problem. Good job! :bgrin

UPDATE:

You know, I think that this little boy and his Mamma are recovering faster than we are! Ah, for a good 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Anyway, here are some photos I took today of this little walking miracle. He is a very sweet boy and his mother is so very kind to him. They really are a lovely little pair. Thank you so much for all your good wishes and kind thoughts. Here he is at 2 days old . . .

dundee.jpg

dundee2.jpg

dundee3.jpg

:saludando:

Aww I love a happy ending! He looks very sweet, so does mom! Congrats all the way around..good save!!

What an amazing story! Thank GOD you did not give up!

Congrats to you, the momma and baby.

Beth

Latest posts

Back