Praise the Lord we have normal manure!!!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRMINIS

Reaction score
After over a week of worries and washing, and poking meds down him.....Doodle as we are calling him FINALLY has normal poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :aktion033:

I know it may sound funny to celebrate it, but I have never had a foal get diarrhea as bad as he had it and survive! The vet put him on an antibiotic by mouth, plus I tried pepto and then immodium when the pepto didn't work.........The good thing with him is he kept nursing and had kept his energy.

After the antibiotics where done, he still had it and I just was scared to death..........Then we tried the metamucil!!!! WOW!!!! That stuff really works!

Although I washed him 3 times a day and put desitin, and vitamin A&D on his little butt, we did lose the hair on his butt.......I think the combination of everything, + his tail moving from side to side constantly that it just wore it off.......anyway, we know it will grow back but we are thankful Mr. Bald butt is all better!!!!!!!!!

I have never been under so much stress in a weeks time.........I held my breath every morning when I headed out to the stall to check him.....

He has soo much energy and is VERY FULL of himself!!!!
default_wub.png
:

I have never been so happy to have a colt kick me!haha

3c7a2384.jpg

I'm so glad your baby is okay. Sounds like it was really bad. I didn't see an initial post on this. Was it foal heat diarrhea? Even then it shouldn't be anything like that.

I'm so glad your baby is okay. Sounds like it was really bad. I didn't see an initial post on this. Was it foal heat diarrhea? Even then it shouldn't be anything like that.
No, not foal heat....it started at day 3 and was really a milky diarrhea........I had to wash him 3 times a day at least......The vet put him on antibiotics.........it had a funny sweet smell.... But even after the antibiotics we still had trouble, but he still had energy and wasn't dehydrated..........we thought we might have to start IV's on him, but he kept nursing and I kept poking everything down him to stop the diarrhea.........a few had suggested Metamucil...........so after we tried everything and after the antibiotics and he still had it, I ran to Wal-mart and got the Metamucil and Pedialyte and mixed it and syringed it.....within two days of that he started to have a clean butt....and now we have fairly normal, formed manure!!!!!!!!! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back