pot bellied yearling - need nutrition help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guch

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to your forum. I have a recently gelded yearling who was an auction rescue last summer (late) He got sick(upper resp.) and lost weight on his topline and developed a big pot belly (was anemic also). He now looks great and is healthy (negative fecal count also) but I can't get rid of the big belly look. He gets very little grain now (mini horse and pony by Farnam, with a vit made by Platnum Perfornance added) We have some grass and he is out with my hard keeper arab who gets free choice local organic grass hay. I am worried about his protein intake - my vet had me put him on mare and foal grain and alfalfa pellets last fall but he started getting too fat this spring to continue with that much grain. He is my 1st mini (have always had the big guys) and I want to make sure I am taking care of him right - any advice appreciated - Thank you!

"my vet had me put him on mare and foal grain and alfalfa pellets last fall but he started getting too fat this spring to continue with that much grain. "

Got too fat where - in his tummy area, or are you talking about shoulder fat pads, big rear end with lots of fat hanging off?

I think you have things in reverse right now for feed, IMHO. I would put him back on at least a 14% protein pelleted grain, make sure he has loose minerals either top dressed or access to it and let him have his hay. Pot bellies usually indicate they are not getting enough protein.

There are a few Junior pelleted formulas that will do well - Purina Jr. Equine. You don't have to add anything to it, just have access to loose minerals to supplement.

IF he lost alot of weight like you said he did he can look "fat" while he is recovering but he wont really be fat. Personally if it were me I would go back to what the vet said. Hes young and he needs more grain less hay then he is getting.

As a general statement I think most minis need a lot more food then many including vets think they do. A horse that is to thin can look to have a large belly having nothing to do with being fat. I personally would up his feed but without seeing the horse it is hard to say what is really going on.

Yes if he has lost weight and now showing a pot belly - he could be too low in weight. Most often they loose their top line when you see the belly crop out.

I agree 100%. A big belly on a weanling/yearling is more than likely Protein deficiency. We bought one once with a severe problem caused from weaning too young and no feed as a weanling. Growing horses need lots of Protein, especially that first year. We saved our filly with Purina Juvenile/Equalizer, fed it to her three times a day, and mixed some pure alfalfa hay into her regular hay. Best to feed her separate, so you can monitor her feed intake. And there is a blood test that your vet can do to check her protein level. (can't remember the name), but IMP, this horse needs more feed. Best of Luck.

I also agree with more protein for the youngsters. One other thing that I have found useful in helping get rid of those bellies is brewers yeast, which helps them digest the fiber in their diet more efficiently. Good luck and welcome to LB

I have never seen Minis do very well on grass without having to add a lot of other additives- grain, vitamins, etc....

Our grass here is not great quality and a nice mixed hay is not to be found anywhere. I have fed alfalfa to ALL our horses, bit and little, all my life, with no problems. There are many myths that go with feeding alfalfa. It does NOT burn out kidneys, etc....!!

Someone I know purchased three mares that were all grass fed..... carrying plenty of weight but it was not distributed very well and they had NO muscle or meat on their top lines at all. They were 'rafter' shaped on top but had big bellies. I should have taken before an after pics of just 45 days on alfalfa. Nothing else was changed but the horses developed trimmer bellies and put on weight on the top so they had nice overall balance.

There was a study that was printed in MHW that showed that Minis need more protein and I find that usually the ones with pot bellies are not getting enough. I would also have teeth checked if you have not already.... and I have seen occasions by following our equine dentist around when he's here, that young ones sometimes have hooks and terrible points that need floated.

I agree with the other posters in that I think you are seeing what we call the Ethiopian syndrome. We see it a lot with new folks that are trying to get a mini ready for show. They just can't get the belly off and most cut down on the amount and quality of feed. When in fact the opposite is needed, of more and better quality protein/feed.
default_yes.gif

My suggestion would be to put him on a high quality feed, small amount of alfalfa and a good small stem hay like coastal bermuda sparingly to give him something to do. I bet he will come around for you.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back