Posting pics that are owned but horses sold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Susane hit the nail on the head if any input is considered on the rules. It would be of coutesy to the present owner for the previous owner to ask if it would be okay to picture the horse,,,that way the picture can be approved and not some awful picture used of a horse that is no longer owned by the picture owner. I think ownership of one does not make for ownership of the other. But I sure will abide by ML's rules I just would like to see them consistant and no exceptions made, so owners have a problem. All the way around it seems if the rules are consistant then it makes for fewer problems for the moderators and the members. Mary

As has been pointed out, forum rules are not the same as copyright laws.

Here's something else to consider:

I would consider it a good business practice and courtesy to your buyers to not post photos of their horse without their permission. For one thing, a photo you may consider nice may be considered something the current owner would not want seen by anyone. Not everyone has the same standards for photos, and the current owner may be pickier than you.

As a buyer, I would greatly appreciate the previous owner asking me if I object to their posting the photo -- on this forum, on other forums, or on their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm guilty a number of times. Does this call for punishment.
default_unsure.png
:

Aww don't feel bad. Something came up that I did feel it needed clarifying but sure didn't want anyone to feel badly. Mary

hmmmm guilty a number of times. Does this call for punishment.
default_unsure.png
:

LuckyC.......say you bought a stallion from Ms. X.
Months later Ms. X posts a picture of your horse.

Negative remarks are made about said animal. (are you up for that?)

The first thing that would happen is that you would be emailing Mary Lou and blessing her out telling her she needed to remove the photo and that Ms. X had no right to post a picture of YOUR horse.

We are not the Gestapo here......just dealing the best we can with PAST PROBLEMS. Just TRY to take a look at the other side of the coin.
Funny how you can sit there and say I would react in a certain way when you have never met me... And no I wouldn't react the way you stated... I've had negative things said about horses that I currently own and I didn't go 'blessing out' Mary Lou, welcome to the world, there will always be negative things said or done and if you can't learn to let things roll off your back then you're going to have a hard lesson to learn.. Each one of my horses mean the world to me and that's all that matters right??

But like I said in an earlier post, the same can go for the breeders/previous owners of a horse.. Say Ms. X bought a horse off of you and posted pictures, negative remarks were made on the horse, you as the breeder wouldn't be slightly offended?

And I have to disagree with Susanne.. Why should you have to ask a buyer to use photos you took of a horse you bred and raised? Those horses represent your breeding/showing program and isn't using examples of previously bred and raised a great way to represent your program, your stallion(s) or mare(s) and what you have successfully accomplished?? I am proud of the horses that have passed through our program and yes I do keep pictures of horses sold on our website, did I ask the current owners? NOPE Have I had one complaint? NOPE

Please don't be upset. No one is saying you can't post your pictures on your website. This is just in reference to the rules that are for this forum. It can be a touchy matter if we make it but if we just consider the rules here and go ahead and do what we think is right with our pictures in other places there is no problem. Maybe there is just a misunderstanding as to what is appropriate for this forum.
default_unsure.png
: Mary

LuckyC.......say you bought a stallion from Ms. X.
Months later Ms. X posts a picture of your horse.

Negative remarks are made about said animal. (are you up for that?)

The first thing that would happen is that you would be emailing Mary Lou and blessing her out telling her she needed to remove the photo and that Ms. X had no right to post a picture of YOUR horse.

We are not the Gestapo here......just dealing the best we can with PAST PROBLEMS. Just TRY to take a look at the other side of the coin.
Funny how you can sit there and say I would react in a certain way when you have never met me... And no I wouldn't react the way you stated... I've had negative things said about horses that I currently own and I didn't go 'blessing out' Mary Lou, welcome to the world, there will always be negative things said or done and if you can't learn to let things roll off your back then you're going to have a hard lesson to learn.. Each one of my horses mean the world to me and that's all that matters right??

But like I said in an earlier post, the same can go for the breeders/previous owners of a horse.. Say Ms. X bought a horse off of you and posted pictures, negative remarks were made on the horse, you as the breeder wouldn't be slightly offended?

And I have to disagree with Susanne.. Why should you have to ask a buyer to use photos you took of a horse you bred and raised? Those horses represent your breeding/showing program and isn't using examples of previously bred and raised a great way to represent your program, your stallion(s) or mare(s) and what you have successfully accomplished?? I am proud of the horses that have passed through our program and yes I do keep pictures of horses sold on our website, did I ask the current owners? NOPE Have I had one complaint? NOPE

Thank you ML for re-clarifying again on page 2, on the rules and what is acceptable and what is ok with you!! I sure wouldn't want the job either of moderating and keeping an eye on the board. :aktion033: :aktion033:

Thank you, thank you for having this very interesting and informative forum for us all.
default_smile.png
I learn new things all the time and have enjoyed the forum since day 1 and although we may not all agree with each other we all have our own opinions and ideas & continue to learn hopefully!

ooopps I broke this rule as soon as I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago.
default_unsure.png
: I guess we learn as we go right.
default_wink.png
: But actually no one said anything to me about it being against the rules so it must have been tasteful enough. I have enjoyed my short time using this forum and I am willing to follow the rules, whatever they are.
default_yes.gif
: Very informative discussion though..I learned something new :bgrin

Brandi

Lucky C --

Exactly because each one of your horses means the world to you is why these things can go south. Each of mine mean the world to me, too. Same for Susanne. Same for Mary. Same for us all.

Suppose I used to own one of your stallions, and I posted a picture of him to show off his spots. Someone comes along and looks and makes a remark that they can see why I sold him, or did I sell him on a gelding contract.

THAT is the kind of stuff that can happen. It has happened!!!

(and I'm not making any statement about your horse -- I am trying to make a point.)

Flip the tables. Suppose Erica posted a picture of Bomb Shell from before I bought her (and actually, she's got happy my permission to do so... but just "suppose"), and someone posts "urgh, what a nag... I can see why you didn't retain her for your breeding program". I can admit, I would be ticked off.

I think when a former owner decides to post the pictures of a horse they sold, but the current owner doesn't even know they are doing so, then they can be blind sided by negative response to their horse when they didn't choose to put their horse in a position to be remarked about.

The way around the issue you are having is simply get permission from the current owner to post the picture before doing so. That's not a big deal really.

It's also like if you have a rule that visitors remove their shoes when they come to your home. If they want to come in your house -- they remove their shoes. If we want to use the forum, we follow Mary Lou's rules. Would you want to stand around the front door and hear me argue the point for me to keep my shoes on?

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line is that this forum is owned by L'il Beginnings and makes/inforces rules as seen appropriate (by the owner) for the majority. A simple question was asked and was promptly answered by those charged with moderating this outstanding source of information - should have ended right there instead of turning into a 3 page unneccesary debate. :eek:

This forum is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT.

Jean

Running a Forum is tough business
default_poke.gif
: Glad I just get to post and don't have to worry about enforcing any rules or guidelines.
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back