Posting pics that are owned but horses sold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskin gal

Reaction score
Maylou, I take a lot of pictures of my minis and could use some for demonstrating when asked about certain things BUT some of the horses I have sold. So I own the pictures but not the horses.To clarify the rule against posting pictures of horses that belong to someone else, is it okay to post pics we took at one time or another, for educational purposes, of horses we have sold? Just want to do the right thing, especially after the discussion of picture ownership. thanks, Mary

Hi Mary,

To answer your question......If the horse does not belong to you then you would have to get permission from the new owner to post the horse.

I would never post a picture of anything I have sold without explicit permission from the new owners.

If I am wrong then ML will clarify.....but we have to keep it simple and just say if the horse does not belong to you than permission is involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Carol. Makes it plain and simple for all.
default_yes.gif
: Mary

Hi Mary,

To answer your question......If the horse does not belong to you then you would have to get permission from the new owner to post the horse.

I would never post a picture of anything I have sold without explicit permission from the new owners.

If I am wrong then ML will clarify.....but we have to keep it simple and just say if the horse does not belong to you than permission is involved.

I don't see why one can not post a picture of a past horse as long as they are not belittling/slandering etc the current owner.. The picture was taken by her at the time the horse was owned by her so therefore she holds copyright and ownership of the picture and the picture shows the horse in the condition that he/she was in at the time she owned it.. Why would it be any different than a breeder listing previous/past foals on their website that have since gone on to a new home? Sorry, just don't understand why it would be innappropriate.. I mean, it'd be different if the new owner sent a photo of the horse and then the breeder/previous owner posted it on here without permission..

Ditto.. I would think that you can post any picture you want if it was taken when you owned the horse. I wouldn't think twice about it as long as it was done nicely.

Mary Lou has verified the answer to the question:

If the horse does not belong to you then you would have to get permission from the new owner to post the horse.

In other words, if you sold the horse, the horse no longer belongs to you.

Liz R.

I agree with Mary Lou and bottom line: it's her message board and it's up to her.

If you just think about it, though, how many times has a person posted something (a topic, a picture or whatever) and the thread took an entirely different turn than was anticipated.

Just seeing how some things have gone before, I can completely see someone posting an example of a horse she used to own doing XYZ only to have another poster or two be critical of the horse (which would not be fair to the current owner).

No the horse in its current condition does not belong to the person anymore, but the PICTURE and the horse in the picture at the time DOES... When you take a picture you hold sole ownership and copyright on that picture, so you can do what you wish for it.. Sorry but I don't see how, lets say someone says on the photo board "show me buckskin horses", and I post a picture of the two buckskin horses we've bred, raised and sold, is wrong.. I mean come on, if this is a 'rule' then everyone should have to go to the 2007 foal post and delete all the pictures of the foals that have been sold, or go through the past messages and find the photos of horses that, at the time they were posted the poster had ownership, but has since sold...

The horse, and a photo of...with regard to ownership, I don't understand how one has anything to do with the other? The horse may go to another owner, but photos of said horse remain in the ownership of it's origin, unless otherwise "sold or given". Two totally seperate issues of ownership, as far as I always understood.
default_unsure.png
:

I have photos of my son on two of our horses we own LONG ago, still up on my website, (biggies though) and I post of them often still. They were very intrical parts of our family in their point in time, photos of such were taken by me, and I own them still, even though the horses themselves have gone on to new families, my memories of my family with them remain with me/us ALWAYS. If I had sold rights to my photos/memories, along with the horse or to anyone or anywhere else, that would be different, but I have not sold rights to "my" family's photos. Just the horse. Two totally seperate issuies of ownership, to my understanding.
default_wub.png
:

Just seeing how some things have gone before, I can completely see someone posting an example of a horse she used to own doing XYZ only to have another poster or two be critical of the horse (which would not be fair to the current owner).
Vice versa can be said on a horse that someone owns and posts a picture of it.. Why would it be any different for someone to post a picture of a horse they own doing something and have people be critical upon it, that can go back to the previous owner and/or breeder... So if we look at it like that then we shouldn't be posting pictures period as in the end it may end up hurting someone's feelings right?

Edited to Add:

I'm sure this will get me flamed, but this is taken directly from the rules/etiquette:

IMAGES - No images in signature area. Images are allowed ONLY in the avatar area of each personal account. Also, absolutely no posting of pictures that are not yours. If you do not personally own them, do not post them without permission - no exceptions!
NOWHERE does it say that the HORSE has to be yours, just that the PICTURE must be yours...

"If the horse does not belong to you then you would have to get permission from the new owner to post the horse."

"This is not about copy right laws it is only about the Rules of the Forum."

Rules are fine, but as has been pointed out, this is a rule that's continually broken around here. Perhaps it's time for a more realistic policy?
default_unsure.png
:

You would think when the owner of the forum has stated the rule right here and two of the three moderators have also stated it, that would be the end of the conversation.

You can make your own message boards and post anything you want, but on LB, there are rules to be followed.

Just like if you come to my farm, I may not allow you to do everything the law may allow. This isn't any different to my way of thinking.

Actually, I don't see why there would be a problem with members discussing the rules of a forum they belong to, especially rules that don't seem to be truly a) enforced, or b) enforceable. I find it interesting also that it doesn't seem that this rule is actually written anywhere?

GEEZ PEOPLE! This is not up for debate. It's always been a rule. There is no way we can please everyone here.

This is not about copy right laws it is only about the Rules of the Forum.
:saludando: Okeedoke...understood.
default_yes.gif
:

Didn't completely understand before I suppose, but it's "in there" now, I guess.
default_unsure.png
:

You would think when the owner of the forum has stated the rule right here and two of the three moderators have also stated it, that would be the end of the conversation.
You can make your own message boards and post anything you want, but on LB, there are rules to be followed.

Just like if you come to my farm, I may not allow you to do everything the law may allow. This isn't any different to my way of thinking.

But what was stated on this thread and what is actually in the rules is completely contradicting to each other.. In the written rules it DOES NOT say that the horse pictured has to be yours, just that the picture must be yours

IMAGES - No images in signature area. Images are allowed ONLY in the avatar area of each personal account. Also, absolutely no posting of pictures that are not yours. If you do not personally own them, do not post them without permission - no exceptions!
Seriously, what is the problem with us sharing pictures of horses that were once 'ours'? You can bet your bottom dollar if someone starts a topic that one of my horses, whether I own it now or owned it at one time, fits in the topic I'm going to share it as I take pride in my horses...

:lol: Interesting. Okay! I definitely don't envy your job, MaryLou, or that of the moderators. Thanks for your time.

:lol: Interesting. Okay! I definitely don't envy your job, MaryLou, or that of the moderators. Thanks for your time.
If everyone were to use good common sense about pictures they posted then nothing would be a problem. But you have to be on the receiving end of disgruntled owners when horses that they own have their picture show up on the Forum and then somebody makes negative remarks. Believe me.........this has happened and that is why we didn't allow it.

People have to look at the shoe being on the other foot.

LuckyC.......say you bought a stallion from Ms. X.

Months later Ms. X posts a picture of your horse.

Negative remarks are made about said animal. (are you up for that?)

The first thing that would happen is that you would be emailing Mary Lou and blessing her out telling her she needed to remove the photo and that Ms. X had no right to post a picture of YOUR horse.

We are not the Gestapo here......just dealing the best we can with PAST PROBLEMS. Just TRY to take a look at the other side of the coin.

I don't exactly get it. MOST of the time the pictures that are placed on any of the threads are for educational purposes like on color and what have you. I can see where you wouldn't post a thread that had anything to do with critiquing horses as far as confirmation when you do not own the horse. That's something that I'm almost positive everyone can agree with. But if there's a thread saying "let's see those appys!"...well then I can see where people might post some pictures of appys that they've sold. I've never seen anyone critique a horse's confirmation on here without the person posting the picture asking for the critique. Also, maybe a simple, "Here is an appy mare/stallion that we used to own", would suffice. As long as you are not asking for someone to judge the horse that you no longer own, but are giving examples to help in what ever means you are trying than I think you should be able to do so. All of that is just plain common curteousy however as it doesn't say in the rules that you can't post a picture of a horse that you do not own. Only PICTURES that you do not own. Maybe a change in rules or at least wording should be considered?

As has been pointed out, forum rules are not the same as copyright laws.

Here's something else to consider:

I would consider it a good business practice and courtesy to your buyers to not post photos of their horse without their permission. For one thing, a photo you may consider nice may be considered something the current owner would not want seen by anyone. Not everyone has the same standards for photos, and the current owner may be pickier than you.

As a buyer, I would greatly appreciate the previous owner asking me if I object to their posting the photo -- on this forum, on other forums, or on their website.

Latest posts

Back