Possible Pregnant Mare ~PICS ADDED~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilightranch

Reaction score
I have a mare that I bought in July and the owners said she was in with a stallion in March but they were not sure if she got infoal. So I believe she would be due sometime in Feb but I want to preg test her to see if she is (I didn't test her sooner because I didn't think she was in foal but now she looks pregnant) I want to use the at home test but not sure which ones will work if any since she may be so late in her pregnancy. Any help would be great!
default_wink.png
Does she look pregnant?? Thanks Brittney

Click link to view pics. http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o250/br...opcats%20Lexus/

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a wee foal. Google it, there are several places to buy them from. We used one on our Shetland, that looks as though she swallowed a hot air balloon, per my wife's disbelief(??)2 weeks ago. We are PREGNANT! Due 4/19/09. The great thing about the test is positive results are 100% accurate.

Good luck.

Er....have I suddenly become invisible??

If not I have already provided a link to Wee Foal
default_smile.png

Thank you both
default_smile.png
! I looked at the web site and it says time frame 120-300 Im not sure if this will work because she may be farther than day 300 since she was bred in March??

Just wanted to share my experience. And let her know the test is not just available in the UK. Sorry if I offended you rabbitsfizz.

Also not 100% accurate, I personally have had a false positive.

But none the less a good test. If she is over 300 days I would start watching her for udder development, In a few short weeks you should know. Also I would like to see a picture of her if you can post. Try photobucket, upload your pics there then click the img code below the pic and paste it here.

I don't think any test is 100% , this one seems to be about as good as the "over the counter" human ones.

I'm not sure which I would prefer, a false positive or a false negative
default_smile.png

It's OK I'm not easy to offend, I was just wondering if I had forgotten to turn off the "invisibleness" again.

You know I am so sweet and demure, I am easy to overlook
default_laugh.png

I have used both the Pregnamare and the WeeFoal tests successfully, BUT, they are not good tests to consider unless you can be very accurate with the breeding dates. Both these tests have to be done within a certain time frame after breeding or they will not be accurate. I hand breed so is easy for me to know the gestational time frame. I prefer the WeeFoal over the Pregnamare because it can be done later, and it is later in the term that I am most interested in, to tell me if they are still in foal at that time. Both are easy to do, but again, I like the WeeFoal better as it is a faster test with only one step. The other is more complicated.

To collect the urine for the WeeFoal, I have used two methods...taping a styrofoam cup with a pice of paper towel in the bottom of it, under them to catch the urine, or taping a "pad"(Kotex) to collect the urine and then use from there. You don't have to have patience standing behind them to catch them "in the act".

Here is a photo of one of the methods of "urine collection".

urinecollection.jpg

I am so glad the people on this forum all understand each other. Where else could you have maxis, horse, and/or pee cup in the same sentence, and with photos to boot!

Don't get me wrong, all the info is great, but thank God we are all on the same page!

Jane, you are the epitomy of a field mouse, so meek and quiet, LOL.

Carolyn

IMO it is hard to tell from pics when they are in their winter wollies. If she is over day 300 I would just wait and see. Save a few bucks that way because a preg test won't tell you "when" she is due.

Well I have a mare that we got Pasture bred and she is HUGE, compared to your mare. But our mare is all belly, no offense but your mare looks overweight and very thick thru her neck etc. If I had to bet I would bet not pregnant.

Well I have a mare that we got Pasture bred and she is HUGE, compared to your mare. But our mare is all belly, no offense but your mare looks overweight and very thick thru her neck etc. If I had to bet I would bet not pregnant.
No offense at least your honest
default_wink.png
. Well I will just have to see. If it turns out that she is not pregnant shes going on a diet lol
default_laugh.png
. Thanks

From the pictures I'd have to agree with Florida Chick, if she is supposed to be around 300days I'd guess NOT bred. However, more than one mini mare has fooled her owner and carried a full term foal with out looking very big. Good luck I've been there too and its darn hard to wonder every day with out asking others for a guess;) .

Latest posts

Back