Possible Colic Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Ive been gone all day and came home to find Peanut just not Peanut. Layed down 2x, no roll, no biting of tummy...just reaching around looking at her own stomach sort of. Temp Normal. Poop Im not sure as she's been out w/the others ( I've stalled her in the biggest stall now ) Water I have not seen her drink since I've been home but I have now marked her bucket and will be able to tell. I gave her a palm full of hay..didnt want it. Called vet office to see who was on call if needed later on tonight. He should be calling me back shortly. Of course I didnt realize I have no Benamine, what can I give her to make her more comfortable.

I do have Xylazine and I think I got it when Skillet coliced last year...but I dont remember what the vet said it was actually for. I think it was a muscle relaxer or sedative but Im not 100%. He preloaded 6 syringes for me 100mg 1cc each. Its dated 4/6/08. Does anyone remember ever using this on their horses and why. I will ask the vet when he calls back but wanted to get some imput from you guys too. Thanks so much, heidi ( Peanut is smaller in height but probablly the same weight as Skillet ) Thanks

Oh, and its been drizzling here all day so its been cool compared to other days...I dont think shes overheated.

Is there anyway that you can load her into a trailer and take her to the vets? The ride alone might help if she is colicing.

No, Husband is in S Dakota with the hitch and truck. I am heading out to watch over and walk her some now. Just wanted to stay by the phone for vets call. When it Rains it pours as my cell phone is dead too #$#%^ i'll feel better if I see poop!!

Xylazine and rompum (sp) are the same thing, it is used for general sedation. It is typically not used for horses that are coliced unless they are in severe pain while trying to pass the blockage.

Sand colic is a possability too, you can test the manure by putting a few pieces from the top of the pile into a rubber glove, fill the glove with water, tie it, and point the fingers down, sand will settle into the fingers.

Unfortunately, if the issue doesn't resolve itself in an hour or two by walking them or taking them for a trailer ride, I consult with my vet.

Xylazine is mainly used for sedation.

Xylazine sedative, analgesic and muscle relaxant.

Composition

Contains: Xylazine 100 mg/mL (as hydrochloride)

Features and Benefits

Xylazine is a non-narcotic sedative, analgesic and muscle relaxant with a rapid therapeutic response expected within 1 - 5 minutes of intravenous injection. Sedation is maintained for 1 - 2 hours, while significant levels of analgesia last 15 - 30 minutes. The duration and depth of analgesia and sedation achieved are dependent on dose and the temperament of the animal.

Indications

THIAZINE 100 has many clinical applications, including :

RADIOGRAPHY : To calm animals and reduce movement during radiography.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES : During more painful &/or intricate procedures, such as endoscopy, catheterisation, peritoneal tap or ophthalmic, rectal or vaginal examinations.

MINOR SURGICAL PROCEDURES : To assist with procedures such as bandage changes, cast application and removal, and minor suturing and surgical procedures under local anaesthesia.

ANAESTHESIA : In combination with Ketamine to induce full surgical anaesthesia. Post-anaesthesia to smooth difficult recoveries.

SPASMODIC COLIC : THIAZINE 100 may be used as an analgesic/sedative in spasmodic (hypermotility) colic, however it is contraindicated in cases of obstructive colic or ileus as xylazine will further reduce gut motility.

When I have any signs of colic this is what I do.

1. Get out any hay/grain that is in the stall.

2. Clean water bucket and fill with fresh water to hopefully encourage drinking.

3. I keep them in their stall where they are the most comfortable.

4. I give them a shot of banamine.

5. I will also administer probiotics.

6. Call vet and have the horse tubed if symptoms are persisting.

Hopefully, your mare is just experience gas colic and will be better real soon. Please let us know how she's doing.

False alarm I think.... appears fine, 2normal poops, normal temp. Will keep checking tonight, Thank you

Oh, I was posting while SampleMM was posting.

I forgot I do have a bag of Probio Blend....I think I'll give her a very small handful of feed w/a little probio. Shes already a little cranky about not getting fed with the others.

Thanks and will keep you posted, Heidi

NEVER sedate a horse that is colicing - it can mask a lot of important symptoms and in addition will slow down their system with is the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish -- the only time I have ever seen my vet sedate a colicing horse was when the horse was obviously in so much pain that it was headed for surgery and we sedated for the ride to the hospital.

Actually I never administer Banamine without discussing it with my vet first - and if possible wait for the vet to arrive before giving my horse anything except syringed water/oil.

Stacy

the only time I have ever seen my vet sedate a colicing horse was when the horse was obviously in so much pain that it was headed for surgery and we sedated for the ride to the hospital.
Stacy
I should also have added this part to my response, leave it to the pros when they are in this much pain.

How's you mini doing today?

Thanks everyone, Peanut is fine....I overreacted or maybe she did have a little gas. She came into heat this A.M. so maybe it had something to do with that. thanks again I knew you would not sedate I colicy horse. When I spoke to my vet last night he reminded me that he gave Skillet the small amt of Xylazine because he was throwing himself against the walls of the stalls and ground ( which he was )....I dont know if that was the right thing to do after reading your posts, but in the end Skillet was fine and has never coliced since.

Heidi

Latest posts

Back