Popping ankles(pasturns)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaprikorn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was visiting a friends farm recently and I noticed a gelding that everytime he took a step his hind pasturns popped. You could even see it, on both back feet. I have never seen this in a QH , so what causes this and what can you do for it? Need to add this info to my ever-increasing "What ya need to know about Minis" database. .

Thanks and eveyone have a great day !

Sheryl

I really don't know as it would depend on what's causing it (having a vet look at it would be a good idea); it could be poor conformation, poor hoof care (to which a good balanced trim might help), perhaps something lacking in the diet. A good joint supplement might help, but no guarantee.

Not really a mini thing as I've seen it in most breeds.

Usually a sign of a poor doer who lacks muscle tone, but can also be a conformational and/or genetic fault.

It is caused by a short lateral digital extensor either from a failure to grow at the same pace as the bone due to growth deficiencies or they can be born that way.

If the pastern continues to go back into place treatment can be raising the angle of the foot (NOT LOWER, you will not 'stretch' the tendon, you will just put more wear on it and thereby cause it to grow stronger and not longer) and apply a stabilizing bandage and improving overall health. If the pastern is permanently luxated, then surgery is the only option and doesn't always work.

Dr Taylor

I've only seen this in one big horse; but unfortunately I have seen MANY miniatures with this. If you are watching for it at a show, you may be quite surprised to see the number of (successful) miniatures with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a couple of horses develop the 'click' with every step and in these cases it was because the horse needed farrier work. Both owners had delayed calling their farrier and the toes were grown throwing angles off. A trim was an instant cure. Now that is not to say thats the case with this particular horse but it is not going to do any harm to retrim/balance the feet for sure.
default_yes.gif

I also have a stallion that does this, more when his feet get long, But when I keep up on his feet I don't really notice it. Haven't for a while.

It is hard to know th eexact cause or cure without a vet examining him and knowing his full history. I also have to agree that things like age,hoof angle and discipline need to be taken into consideration. I have an older gent that put his all out there when driving. He really engages his rear when driving. He just can't grow hoof as fast as he wears it off (he has very solid, hard hooves,they just don't grow like a young horse's hooves), suppliments help, as does the super fast from vettec, but there is nothing available in his size that can prevent wear altogether like shoes for a full size equine. He throws the balance off in his rear hooves, and lets face it, only so much hoof can be trimmed to correct the angle. My only choice was to let him take time off last year to regrow and correct the angle.

In a case like mine, sometimes time and patience and hoof growth along with good trims will help. There is never a one size fits all diagnosis.

I've seen this in mini's but not in a big horse, but I would think it is the same. Some times it is genetic, but sometimes from improper hoof care. I have a colt that was born in 2008 that had a stifle problem it would pop in and out, the vet recommended regular farrier work and since we had no hills to work him on, to walk him over poles to incourage him to lift the leg and strengthen the muscles. Now he has no problems. I would ask this owner to exercise this horse on either hills or over poles. If it continues I would agree with Dr. Taylor that surgery will correct the lose ligaments. Never breed a horse that shows this.

Latest posts

Back