Pony constantly "bossing" mini around

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Yankee In NC

Reaction score
I got a pony on Oct 19 of this year to keep my mini company.

The pony was skinny and not in the best of health in Oct. Now that he has had a few months of ample groceries he is becoming more aggressive with the mini. Neither of them is gelded.

Should I geld the pony and cross my fingers that he stops being so pushy or sell him and cross my fingers that the next one isn't so alpha???

What have your experiences been?

How old are each of them? Do you have plans to use either for breeding? If not, geld them both, they'll be much happier. If you plan to keep the mini a stud, geld the pony; it may help, but it might not with his bossiness (he might just be very alpha).

If you wish to keep both, and even after gelding, the pony is still bossy, they might just have to be friends across a fence.

Well, I dont have any personal experience in this, but what I would do is geld the pony and possibly the mini, and seprate them in 2 different paddocks, with a sturdy fence between the two with an hot wire both on top and along the side of the fence, and if you already dont, start excercising both such as driving or something like that to keep them busy and occupied instead of bossing and fighting plus...

with each of them in seperate paddocks you dont run the risk of them fighting

and they will still have company because of the fact that they will still have a common fenceline

I agree, separate them (and promptly) If they are both stallions and are constantly bickering even after living with each other for a time (its been 2 months already right?) then things could easily get very ugly. So far you may be seeing the mini back down but if he is intact the day may come when he does not or is too slow and the pony can really hurt him. Separate first then if you really want them to live together geld the pony (or better both) and after a few months carefully begin reintroducing them. They might be OK once hormones are not an issue but that can take a while to leave their systems.

Probably because they are both stallions, i would separate them asap before you get into a big ole' mess.

I have a 42" classic gelding here and he just drives my mini colts up the wall...he will not "pick on" my shetlands, but those two colts out in the pasture he just loves to bug. I think he is just being silly, not in the agressive way..just in the "im bored as heck" way..

From someone who's recently witnessed a stallion fight, believe me, you don't want to have that happen. It can quickly escalate. I would suggest a gelding appt.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back