Pony breeders wondering what you think of the T/ASPC craze

• Thread starter Lisa-Ruff N Tuff Minis
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carin,

To quote Audrey Barrett of Arenosa Pony farm "I have shipped dozens of my ponies to Sr Fallabella over the years - he has been one of my best clients". This was said more than once during my conversations with her over the years - so it may be that many assume that the Fallabella herd was a "closed" herd, but in reality there were influences from outside his breeding program "helping" him along - it just wouldn't have looked very good on the paperwork now would it have
default_wink.png
:

Not trying to stir anything up - just want to give credit where credit is due.

Stacy

Now that is VERY interesting..... considering that Sr. Fallabella's daughter stated (admitted) in an interview not too long ago that her father did use Shetland blood in his program. I don't think she said where the Shetlands had come from.

MA

On ASPC/AMHR horses being competative in ASPC .... my ASPC/AMHR stallion won his class at Congress in 2004 and has won many Grand Championships since. I believe the Grand Champion Foundation Stallion at Congress this past year was double registered. My stallion's breeder often takes their double registered horses to both Congress and AMHR Nationals and wins both places.

It is true that it is very difficult - almost impossible - to compete when the shetland classes are not split by height into the "Under" and "Over" divisions or if the pony is very small (I'd say under 36") but I think the smaller good quality shetlands can be competative Under divisions or Foundation division.

To me the biggest appeal is that my horses will always be registered, even if they go over 38" I like the larger minis, but I could not afford the risk of breeding them if didn't have shetland papers to "fall back on"

What I find difficult is that I can't show my horses in both divisions at a given show and my show budget (or I should say GAST budget!) has its limits. So I have to decide that I will either show ASPC or AMHR. I have more shetlands and prefer to go to Congress over Nationals, so that is what I show right now. But I would love to show both if either the rules change or show managers begin splitting 2 day shows into 2 separate shows - one day AMHR and the other ASPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning,

Was re-reading this thread as I remembered something was a bit off from one of the posters regarding the Grand Champion Foundation Classic Stallion from the 2005 Shetland Congress...

I would like to correct your statement:

Quoted from Alphahorses post: " I believe the Grand Champion Foundation Stallion at Congress this past year was double registered".

Please go pull your October 2005 Journal and you will see that the 2005 Grand Champion Foundation Stallion was B & L Bar's G Rock E Hershey Bar (owned by Richard & Jacque Mason of Wimberly Texas) he is not a double registered horse. You are confusing him with B & L's Rock E Red Alert (owned by Mike & Lisa Strassle, from Texas) who wasn't at Congress (as he's not listed in any of the top ten places in his division) but did win the AMHR Stallion "Over" division at the 2005 AMHR National. "Redi" as he's called IS a double registered stallion...ASPC# 149503A & AMHR #245202B.

I know the confusion is coming from the "Rock E" name. Wall Street Rock "E" Mr. Mitz has recently been hardshipped in as a miniature and will be hitting the AMHR show circuit as a "Over" miniature in the gelding division so he now will be holding two sets of registration papers ASPC/AMHR.

As far as splitting a show into two seperate shows there isn't enough miniatures or shetlands in some of the areas to support two seperate shows. Way back in the late 90's we use to cross over at the same show with those shetlands that were doubled registered (ASPC/AMHR)....but guess what....lots of folks (mainly the minature people at that time) were complaining about those same horses showing (even though they had two sets of registration papers) and were winning in both divisions. That is why now you must choose which way you are going to show before hand. In some areas this would help the horse numbers and probably the entry numbers for those smaller shows as they would actually gain more money in the long run. Our club, the ASPC/AMHR Club of North Texas is getting pretty close (maybe in the next two years) that we might be able to split our club shows into two seperate shows (ASPC & AMHR) but for right now we can't.

Thanks.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

Show Committee Chair

ASPC/AMHR Club of N. Texas

You are correct about Hershey Bar, however Red Alert did show at the 2005 Shetland Congress. He was shown in the under stallion division aged class and was reserve champion, as well as showing in the National Champion Get of Sire and the National Champion Produce of Dam.

Amber

Amber,

Your exactly right.. Red Alert was shown as a CLASSIC SHetland and did very well againist his classmater considering his size is only 35 1/2".. I did not think Redi was Foundation type and also he would not qualify for the Foundation Seal because of Pedigree.

I still say just show your horses by the type you feel they are and you will do fine.

Thanks Amber & Belinda,

I need to re-read my post before sending them! (LOL) What I was trying to say and it didn't come out the way I was thinking was..."Redi" wasn't shown at Congress as a Foundation (wasn't in the top ten) but should have read he was at Congress in the Classic division.

I know Mike and Lisa are as proud of him as his trainer/handler is/was. Belinda knows how to show all of the Rock "E" ponies to their very best and those of us that show against her/them know we have our work cut out for us for the show ring.

Again, Congrats to all of the Rock "E" line of horses.

Karen Shaw

Fiddlestix Miniatures & Shetlands

Burleson Texas

Back