Ponies in the snow

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
We do so love these Colorado lows that bring us this kind of weather, especially when they come through here in early October:

snowponies_sm.jpg

Those are 3 of our boys chasing each other around in the snow just a few minutes ago. This next one is our driveway--we can barely see the neighbor's new house across the road...this was taken about 20 minutes ago;

drivewaysnow2_sm.jpg

the snow/rain started about 11 this morning, but the serious snow didn't start until after 12. Roads were starting to get slushy when I came home from town about 1:15, and they'll be getting worse by the minute now the way this snow is coming down. There's a good wind out there too.

At least there are no bugs!
biggrin.gif
At is should be melting off by tomorrow; this weekend is actually supposed to be warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohmy.gif
That is so gross kindly keep the stuff though we've had a few very heavy frosts in the past 2 weeks so guess it's on the way soon enough.

OMG!!! I saw on the Weather Channel that you were supposed to be getting snow, but the reality of it is awful. I suppose I shouldn't tell you that we're still basking in mid 20 degree temps for maybe one more day....

Stay safe and warm! Looks like the boys are actually enjoying the snow!

Holy cow, snow! Looks like they are having fun but I hope that stuff doesn't reach me for anouther 2 or 3 months!

WOW...I can't even remember the last time I saw snow. It makes the front page news if it gets below freezing, LOL, not really but it is a big deal.

Well, we're not ready yet either BUT really beautiful pictures and the boys look like they are having a great time!

Thanks for sharing, Maxine

I love snow
wub.gif
yes.gif
, I hope we get some this year. I lived up north for a while and loved the weather,boy I sure do miss that snow. It depresses me when Christmas rolls around here in the south and we are still in shorts.
sad.gif

Oh Wishful, that would be sooo depressing, shorts and no snow!!
sad.gif
We are freezing. Our hydro went out at 20 after 3; there was absolutely nothing to eat cold for supper & we don't have a BBQ or even a camp stove, so I went & got some of the rotten hay that is piled here waiting to be hauled to the dump--I lit it on fire to get a could start to a bonfire, added some dead branches, then used two cement blocks as supports, laid a heavy piece of wire across it, wrapped some weiners in foil & set them on it, & found a pot to heat water in...so we had a nice hot supper after all. Had fresh garden tomatoes for a veggie, there were two pieces of cake left for our dessert....am I resourceful or what???

We drained our pressure tank (doesn't take much, it's not a huge tank) but luckily the horses didn't need water this evening as their tubs were all full, just no water to wash up with after chores tonight. A friend from south of here called about 8:30 and said that 2 transformers blew up in the hydro substation, and there's a large area without hydro tonight--would likely be morning before we have heat & lights again. Ha, 10 minutes later the yard light flashed, then the power came back on in the house. We will be warm again.... woo hoo. It's "only" -3 outside, but with this wind, our trailer is so drafty, it feels like it's at least -15. Brrr.

Have I ever told you all that [SIZE=14pt]I HATE WINTER!!! [/SIZE] ???

I'm ready for snow - it would be nice if those Colorado lows would bring us snow in SE Colorado - lol. We have to wait for the Albuquerque (NM) lows, but we do have a freeze warning in effect for tonight. This would be the first one this fall, just in time for our 4th cutting of hay. Hopefully won't freeze to hard to do to much damage to it.

I hope you use those pictures for your Christmas cards because I am in awe of them. Makes me feel like I am right there and they look like a painting, just so perfect. Thanks for sharring those.

Just wanted to let you know that I did a few baths yestarday and two more today sweating half to death here in the south. I have a few more to go yet so keep that stuff up there for a while longer please.

Thank you Marty; here's another snow picture for ya--I think I might use this one on my cards this year...

treeinsnow.jpg

Here's our quaint little makeshift 'stove' & our supper cooking earlier tonight...I'm going to go shopping for a campstove before winter sets in for real--we've never had much problem with losing hydro for any length of time, but if this is an indication of how the winter will go, we'll be prepared!!

supper_sm.jpg

Ah, yes, Marty, I did enjoy hearing about your warm-enough-to-bath-horses weather.
biggrin.gif
But, you missed out on all the fun of slogging through the deep wet snow like we did tonight while feeding horses. snow has stopped, wind has dropped, tomorrow & the next day we'll be able to slop in the puddles as this all melts off.
laugh.gif

Most of the horses were a bit cold today--they were okey in their sheds, but as soon as they came out in the wind they'd be cold. Most didn't seem to really mind it though, they'd come out, rip around in the snow for a bit, then go back & stand in their sheds. Little Smoke, the youngest cold, wasn't at all impressed. His mom got tearing around her corral & he was following--he hit one wet snow drift & I think he was plowing snow with his chest. He was going fast enough & it was just a thin drift so he went on through, but when he stopped behind the barn once he was more than knee deep in snow & looked totally cheesed off.

The pictures are beautiful, but gosh ---I sure am not ready for this white stuff yet! Even tho my favorite time of the year is winter
wink.gif
We havent even had a frost yet, which is unusual for us, but I guess its just around the corner! Its suppose to be "colder" today, but this weekend be warm again.
biggrin.gif
Corinne

OH MY
new_shocked.gif
I am SO not ready for winter weather!!!!!
no.gif

We have been having record setting highs here in Ohio.....been in the mid to high 80s for several days now.
biggrin.gif
Actually...it's a little TOO hot, as the horses already have much of their winter hair & they are sweating! Have to have the fans on in the barns! But...all that will end tonight, as there is a cold front coming in. Certainly nothing as bad as snow (I HOPE!
unsure.gif
) But the low is going to dip down into the 30s...when it has been in the 60s. Nothing like a 30 degree drop in one day! Betcha the horses will like the cooler weather tho!
yes.gif

We won't be around much longer to enjoy it with them.....in two more days we'll be in sunny, warm Las Vegas!
aktion033.gif

yes.gif
yes.gif
I'm a serious Spring-Fall person really hate summer not to fond of winter either. I can put on enough cloths and covers to get warm but no way to take off enough to get cool in Summer.

I don't mind any of the seasons really. I do however love this time of year, early Fall, as the changing leaves should be at their peak this weekend and it's our Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend. What I don't particularly like is the month of November when the leaves are all off the trees and it's raining and really quite depressing, that is when I wish it would SNOW! Then we get the snow and it's beautiful but sometime in Feb or so we usually get a deep freeze
no.gif
wacko.gif
of -30 or -40 celcius and THAT I DON'T like but it usually only last a few weeks at the very most. I am glad though that I live in a climate that has 4 distinct seasons because it makes you appreciate each one for the beauty of each of them.

oh minimor....how depressing!!!! ! I am sitting here in my shorts (it's been really warm here the last 3 or 4 days), and just the thought of that white stuff
crybaby.gif
The guy on the radio this morning said 'enjoy today coz it's down hill from here'!!!
no.gif
Though I do 'like' seeing the fresh snow on the ground, and if I don't have to go anywhere, fine....but I too, do not like the -30 temps!!

*sigh* dems de brakes though right?

~kathryn

Latest posts

Back