Poll

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you like to see 3 set of Judges Halter >> Performance >> Youth & Amateur

• 3 sets of judges for AMHR Nationals >>Halter >>Performance >> Youth & Amateur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • leave the way it is now , Open >> Youth & Amateur

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Belinda

Reaction score
Several of us were thinking with as big as our performance classes are and also halter , it might be better to have a panel of judges for Halter , and then a panel of judges for Performance.. The performance classes are mostly at night and after a long day of judging halter classes these judges are getting wore out !! They are only human and do get tired toward the 12 to 14 hours that they are in the ring.. This way halter judges would know that they will be done say at least by 7 pm... and Performance judges then could be fresh and ready to go all night if need be
default_new_shocked.gif
because they could go rest and not be back again until 6 or 7 pm the next day.. Just a thought and looking for input from more people..

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like a good idea to me! One thing I kept thinking when watching this year was how tired those judges must be!!!

Would this include doing the same thing with the Youth/Amateur judges? Seems the youth classes went on longer than any open night did. And you also have to look at the cost of paying 6 judges every day, because they would work every day even if it was at different times, then add the extra hotel rooms, meals, transportation, would it increase show attendance enough to justify the added cost. At an average cost of $400 per day per judge, that would add up fast by adding 3 more per day.

HeyBelinda! That's a great way to divide it up. Good idea!

Andrea

I don't know if it would work, but it would sure save time to have the individually run classes - showmanship, obstacle, liberty, jumping, etc, run at the same time as other classes in a separate ring. That could be handled by the halter judges during other performance, or the performance judges during halter. People might have to make a choice between classes, but it would be better than being up til 3 am.

Ruffian... that just would not work. Most people like to show in MANY classes, BOTH halter and performance. There is no way you could guess when a class would take place, and they could possibly happen at the same time. Therefore you would severely limit entries.

Andrea

I am all for 3 sets of judges...honstly at 2am in the morning after looking at horses from 8:30 in the morning all day long, you would think by the 2am classes that the judging quality would be going down after that many hours looking at horses ...

Youth/Ammature....then Performance...then open Halter/futurity or something of that sort

Some of us were discussing the long hours for the judges while at Nationals this year, and someone suggested having FOUR judges, and then rotate having a day off, or half a day off, so there would always be three judges in the ring, but they would each have a chance to get some rest. That would be less expensive than having six judges at a time, but still ensure that they each could get some sleep and recharge. Just an idea!
default_wink.png

I voted for 3 sets of judges - one for Amateur/Youth; one for halter; one for performance. Only because those judges were so exhausted, that by the time Park Harness came into the arena at 3:00 AM - they had the horses reverse after only 1/2 pass around the arena....they didn't even have a chance to hit their lick before they were called into the line up!! That's deplorable. Yes the judges were exhausted, but think of all the effort, training and expense into those fancy rigs that owners had shelled out...to be relegated to basically a waste of time.

HOWEVER, I would still prefer to see ONE judge for each of those 3 different categories.

Ruffian... that just would not work. Most people like to show in MANY classes, BOTH halter and performance. There is no way you could guess when a class would take place, and they could possibly happen at the same time. Therefore you would severely limit entries.
I don't know about that - AMHA Worlds has used two arenas for many years and it seemed to work just fine.... with a balance of classes between the two rings. All the driving and halter in one... and a lot of the other classes in the next arena.

Are there extra charges for the facility after midnight? That used to be the case at many venues...

I don't know if it would work, but it would sure save time to have the individually run classes - showmanship, obstacle, liberty, jumping, etc, run at the same time as other classes in a separate ring. That could be handled by the halter judges during other performance, or the performance judges during halter. People might have to make a choice between classes, but it would be better than being up til 3 am.
This was the same thought I had. It works perfectly well for some other breeds, so I'd think it would work for the Miniatures too.

The only time AMHA runs two rings at the same time is on Wednesday. They have futurity classes in one ring and Obstacle driving, Halter Obstacle, jumping and hunter in the other ring. This is because you normally wouldn't have a horse the age to be in futurity doing the other performance events. All other classes are in the big arena and only one ring is running. And I know there is a Futurity Hunter class, but its run Tuesday after Amateur Hunter.

How about two sets of four, one rotating off for a class (or two) for breaks? This would be less expensive and everybody can get breaks all day long. AMHA is changing to a 3 judge system using two sets of 4 judges and rotating one off.

Another thing would be to get rid of the strange scoring system and allow an average instead of the call judge having so much power.

JMHO.

I went back and watched the video of Open Park Harness, and timed it. It lasted 89 seconds. I'm sure the judges were tired because it was well past midnight, but no driving class should last less than 90 seconds. And everyone in the class should at least get to go around at least once in the arena. When the call was made to change direction, one mini hadn't even gone 3/4s of the arena. Then, on the way back, it didn't go halfway around and the class was told to line up. That mini never went past one of the judges. I'm all for using separate judges for halter and performance.

i know a few years ago in the draft single class we didn't do the required patterns after the rail work cuzz the judges or judge was tried soar feet what ever we placed well but it wasn't fair when the patterns are to be worked only my 2 cents worth carol

The only time AMHA runs two rings at the same time is on Wednesday. They have futurity classes in one ring and Obstacle driving, Halter Obstacle, jumping and hunter in the other ring. This is because you normally wouldn't have a horse the age to be in futurity doing the other performance events. All other classes are in the big arena and only one ring is running. And I know there is a Futurity Hunter class, but its run Tuesday after Amateur Hunter.
As I said - it worked. Without the other ring - that would be another day's worth of classes being stuffed into the Justin Arena... and very long days.

AMHR could easily do the same thing... because classes going past 3 a.m. are not fair to the judges, show staff, competitors or horses.

Of course, then there would need to be extra judges.

I'll ask again - is there a fee for classes going past midnight at Expo Square the way there has been at some other venues in the past?

[
I'll ask again - is there a fee for classes going past midnight at Expo Square the way there has been at some other venues in the past?
There is not a extra fee , unless they added it this year. but in the pass there has not been..

Doesn't AMHR fine shows that run past midnight? I was told that at Nationals but haven't looked it up so could be off base. I'm sure AMHR is not going to fine itself but it seems like a double standard if other shows would be fined but Nationals not.

Latest posts

Back