Poll

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you like to see 3 set of Judges Halter >> Performance >> Youth & Amateur

• 3 sets of judges for AMHR Nationals >>Halter >>Performance >> Youth & Amateur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • leave the way it is now , Open >> Youth & Amateur

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Doesn't AMHR fine shows that run past midnight? I was told that at Nationals but haven't looked it up so could be off base. I'm sure AMHR is not going to fine itself but it seems like a double standard if other shows would be fined but Nationals not.
It is fine to say that shows cannot run after midnight, but what do you do with the classes that did not run? If you put them the next day, you just back that day up even more. I really like the idea of two sets of judges for the open classes. The youth and amateur classes didn't run quite as late as the open classes. I, too, think it is sad to shortchange the driving horses at night just because the judges are tired and I felt sorry for the judges. I also feel sorry for all the office and ring help, but I would think that they would get a bit more of a break than the judges do. I know the guy calling us into the ring for classes, Sam, had to be tired as well.

QUOTE (sdmini @ Sep 21 2008, 09:52 AM)

Doesn't AMHR fine shows that run past midnight? I was told that at Nationals but haven't looked it up so could be off base. I'm sure AMHR is not going to fine itself but it seems like a double standard if other shows would be fined but Nationals not.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they changed this rule.

I think three sets of judges would be a good idea, I know the ammy judges took the time this year to work the driving horses at each gait and you get the chance for all three judges to see you both directions at each gait; however that was NOT the case with the open judges at all and it is frustrating when you have spent time and money to be there and you aren't being given the opportunity to even show your horse.
default_no.gif
Oddly enough in Ladies Roadster they asked us to drive on and then left us at that gait forever!!! I know I did at least three laps of the arena which was outrageous!! In a country pleasure class I was lucky to get by all three judges on an extended trot and my horse moves out! I think more rested judges would be a wonderful thing for everyone involved, it is a tough, fatiguing job no question.

Pam

i'm all for 3 sets other than for the cost factor that may make it prohibitive. not only would that make it easier on the judges in general, i would hope that AMHR would take into effect which judges tend to specialize in certain aspects of the show's more than others (lets face it..some judges are way better at halter over driving, or vice versa). I'm also for having two rings with some of the performance classes running through the futurity classes (like someone mentioned AMHA does). that would help shorten up some of the crunches of the week. The facilities are big enough that they could do two rings (although i'm not sure if the facilities would charge more for another ring?).

Seeing as though i was in one of the classes that didn't even get done until 3:00am (it may have even been later for one of my horses) I'm all for trying to shorten up days. I can honestly say my horses had had enough even though they hadn't shown at all.. 3:00am is not a time my horses EVER get worked and of course just being in the loud stalls with lights on 24/7 made for some very sluggish unhappy horses (and people).

I heard this discussed at Nationals and I like the idea of it and the reasons behind it. Hopefully AMHR can afford it.

I know I was in a lot of late night classes, including the Park Harness Class that only lasted 89 seconds and I had the chance to go all the way around the ring in either direction. I was 3/4 of the way around after coming through the gate when they called to change direction, we reversed and I made it half way back to the gate when they called to line up. So there was definitely one judge that I never even got to go past in either direction and one of the other judges never even looked up at me - at all - I know because I never took my eyes off him because he was looking down at his notebook the whole time and I wondered if he was going to look up and see me so I stared at him the whole time I was driving. He didn't look at me, not once. The judges were obviously totally exhausted and barely on their feet by late night. One night went to nearly 4 AM and other nights I would say usually wrapped up around 1-2AM.

Latest posts

Back