POLL: The Oldies but Goodies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many minis over the age of 20 do you own?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5-10

• 10 or more

• Total voters

remington

Reaction score
I am wondering how many "old" horses there are out there, compared to the young ones we see all the time on the forum. If you want to add pics, thats great. I have one that is 17, But actually that's the oldest here.

I have not done a poll on this new format so I hope it makes sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one oldster, we call her "Gramma Pony". She was given to us for free w/a group of other horses, and we figured she would pass away that winter, she is in such awful condition.

BUT, she thrived on our different approach to her care (mainly separating her and putting her on Sr. feed), and became pregnant the following Summer, giving us a filly in May of '97.

Now, Gramma is completely retired and the queen of the place, she always gets fed first.

She is 30 this year. Her true identity is Dell Tera's Betty, which we discovered back in Fall of '03 thanks to Stacy Score.

Here is a photo taken last year on her 29th birthday:

gma29yrs1.jpg

default_smile.png
I think if she looks this good now, she must have really been a beauty in her earlier years. She is 31.50" tall. For those of you that know Mouse, this is his grandma (dam's side).

Gramma is quite healthy and seems to be enjoying her life around here though she gets pestered by the foals and Mouse once in a while.

default_smile.png

Liz M.

I only have one horse that is over 20 years old right now. I bought her only two years ago but she is the dam to one of my mares that I've had for ten years, so I have four generations on my place now.
default_smile.png
Many of my horses are here for life, so in the future I will have a LOT of older horses.
default_wub.png
:

This is my old girl, also my first mini. She will be 23 this spring (pic was taken last June after a bath). I've had her for 16 years now, and as of last summer, I now have 3 generations here! :bgrin I was hoping she was in foal last year, but didn't happen....she is now retired and is a much loved lawn mower
default_wink.png
:
ginger.jpg

I love her to bits!

~kathryn

My oldest is 19, but I've only been in mini's for 2 years. I bought her as part of a package deal but I really liked her even though she's older. She gave me a foal last year and has one cooking for this year. She's a Prince Monashee daughter and in her hay day was a Reserve National Driving horse. The picture is from last year when she still had 2 weeks left to foal.......she'll probably hate me for sharing this pic!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

NFCS Painted Desert:

100_0449.jpg

The only ones presently over the age of 20 are now 24 26 and 27 all mares 2 bought as yearlings and 1 as a 2 year old all gave us horses we've shown over the years and the 24 year old will be bred in a few months once more before she's retired. Our other 2 elders died last year whom we still miss very much 5 more are pushing the 20 year mark but are right now only 16 to 18 spring chickens we call them. When we buy them for life we mean it.

Well I have 2 that are over the age of 20 and one 19 year old.

Palmer's Laverne, AKA Lizzy, is a 22 year old Ayers Mini Red Man daughter. This girl was quite the show mare and has many foals, some by top stallions such as Marystown Dakota Supreme.

This girl has decided no more foals for her, so she's learning to drive and loving it, she doesn't act 22 at all
default_yes.gif
:

Picture taken September 2005

29150J17LizPretty.JPG

Mini Mites Termite, AKA Grettle, is 23 years old and double registered allthough she has really no known pedigree, it only goes back one generation on her papers. She has thrown some super nice foals including my Finnigan. She has also decided she is done with foaling and she has Cushings, so she is happily living out her days. I was told she was quite the jumper and children's riding horse back in her day.

Picture taken June 2004 extremely heavy in foal with Finnigan

29150clipped.JPG

And my 19 year old, MF Charmed Jangles Rev Elle Ation, AKA Ellie May. I hardshipped her AMHA but she was already AMHR, she is a daughter of Winks Jangles, and she has quite a history. She has had a foal every year since she was 3 and she's a favorite of mine
default_wub.png
:

Picture taken with her last year's foal, Karo

2915029150mombabe.jpg

I'll upload some more pictures later.

I really just absolutely love mares, more than geldings and stallions. I have 4 mares here who are not breedable and will live out their days here just being horses, or driving
default_yes.gif
:

Since my "old" man is only 18 this year, can't answer your poll. He (a gelding) was our first mini and while someone offered to buy him last year my hubby was the one who put his foot down and said no! He's taught us so much we couldn't let him go.
Chips02.jpg

I have 29" stallion Hobby Horses Little Whit whose owners were going to put him through a sale at 23 years of age and mostly blind. I said you can't do that so they said you take him then - so I did! He is the sweetest little horse and is doing really well. This winter has been kind to him so I am hoping for another few years for him at least! He still nibbles on hay but is on a complete pelleted feed for the most part in deference to his aging teeth. He still shows a fair bit of spunk when turned out! He was foaled in 1978 making him 28 this spring.

Actually, my oldest Equine is not a miniature, but my full size Appaloosa mare, Patchy Pocohontas... (or Pokie as she is known to all of her friends...) she is now 32 years old and I have owned her since she was 2. She is my best friend, was the first horse that I trained that won her Superior in Western Pleasure.. has had many wonderful foals and is the matriarch here...
default_wub.png
:

Here she is being "Incognito"... LOL!
default_wink.png
:

fb13bb44.jpg

And here she is in her... (and MY :bgrin ) prime...

fab4e19d.jpg

Gotta love our Seniors!!
default_wub.png
:

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Glory2.jpg

This is our oldest Girl

[SIZE=14pt]Ripl-K-Golden Babe (Glory)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]ASPC/AMHR[/SIZE]
Ripl-K-Golden King X Ripl-K Golden Dolly
Foaled: 4 - 86
Glory is a Palomino Mare. She is the Dam of Peanut, Morgan, Boomer & Charm. Glory is a Foundation Classic Shetland. With bloodlines going back to
Arbor Acres and Happy Hour Supreme.
She passes on her movement and "sweet" disposition to her foals.

We currently have 3 over 20 ... we lost four though, in the past couple years.

Our oldest is Flying W Farms Donner, he's 28 this year, and with the loss of Prancer in December he's the last of our original four "reindeer" black geldings. He's fat, healthy, and always the last to be caught!

Sheep Meadow Gretz is 22 this year, he's a great horse, was a champion as a stallion, was my youth gelding when I was younger and has been in our eight horse hitch for many years. He's still in the lead team, and I don't want to be the one to tell him when he has to retire!

The third is a mare, Fleetwoods Lady Di. She's 25 this year, and is the dam of National Champions Circle J Princess and Circle J Duchess. We thought her last foal was born in 2002, we were surprised and pleased to find that she was ultrasounded in foal for a July baby!

In a quick count, I get nine more that are between 16 and 19!

We have eleven twenty or older.

Our oldest, Del's Muffin, who is 24

delsmuffin.jpg

Xenon-Light Van't Huttenest, 23

xenonDSC_1294.jpg

4Gs Cayenne Gal, 21

cayenne.jpg

All the following are 20:

Hidden Meadows Maggie

hiddenmeadowsmaggieDSC_5332rd.jpg

NFC's Living Doll (by the way Rabbitsfizz, this is Tex Husseler's dam and that's Lauren about 17 years ago!)

nfclivingdollbabylauren.jpg

NFC's Egyptian King's Paper Doll

nfcekpaperdoll_small.jpg

Brewer's Orion Dream

brewersoriondream.jpg

Little America's Miss Independence

lamissindependence.jpg

Lucky Four Adorable

luckyfouradorable.jpg

Brewer's Orion Enchantment

brewersorionenchantment.jpg

Little America Sesquicentennial Tex

texnew.jpg

We have 3 in the 20 and older category:

Germels Abraham, age 20 this year. Fat as a tick, that horse eats more in a day than he did in a week when he was a show horse and he still thinks I starve him to death!

Hemlock Brooks Black Beauty II -- age 24. We haven't gotten a foal out of her in ages, but she will be here forever. She's the dam of Amazing, who I showed to 2 AMHA Reserve National Championships. Even at her advanced age, she still rules. Not one horse contests her authority, even though the worst she does is give an evil glare!

W&LDs My Mona Lisa, 20 this year, who we nickname "Fertile Myrtle." We bought her at the NFC dispersal (1994?) and have gotten a foal from her every year but one. She also takes on her first cover, hence the nickname.

I love my older horses. They know they're special and they never let you forget it!

I am partial to the "old" ones. I just love them.
default_wub.png
: I have on that is 22, bought he when she was 8; one that is 20, just bought her last year; 2 that are 19, bought one at 8 and one last year; 1 that is 18, bought him when he was 6 months old.

Trios Tammy 22

tammy.jpg

Little Mans Blue Babys Rowdy 20

Blue%20Baby1.jpg

They are all get more beautiful everyday.

Oh, how could I forget my non mini girl. I have a full size app mare that is a Goer daughter, she is 21 an just a beautiful girl. I did shipped semen with her in 05 and she settled on one shipment only. She LOVES being a mama.

jc22yrs2003.jpg

We have one oldie- Dee's Johnny Cash (aka Dee Dee's Little Johnny Cash). JC is 25 this year. This photo was taken at 23 yrs. JC has sired a National Grand Champion mare and a National Champion mare (two different mares) as well as quite a few local championships. He himself has many championships to his name. He's a very sweet boy and a wonderful breeding stallion. He's got over 50 foals registered in both AMHa and AMHR. He has arthritis in his back and hips so we leased him to a friend as a companion to a colt she bought (JC's son actually) and they get along great. His last foal was born in 2005- a black appy filly out of my favorite mare, Calita.

Tammie

Edited to note- his filly is the one pictured in my Avitar
default_smile.png

This is "Taffy" with her 2003 colt. She is an AMHR 20 year old mare who we have been leasing.....basically we took her because the owner didn't want her anymore. I don't know why the owner doesn't like her because she is beautiful, wonderful, and has produced excellent children......and we were shocked that she was as old as she is when we discovered her date of birth......

taffycolt.jpg

I have 3.....2 mares coming 21 and a stallion coming 22. Plus 4 more 17-19 y/o mares & an 18 y/o stallion. Almost all of them have been with me for 12-15 years. :eek: Wow, this really makes you stop & think!

Then, I have a group of 7-15 yr olds....and for this reason, in the past 5 years I've kept all fillies born here. That's only been 6 (because I purposely haven't bred for many foals) but, they are nice gals, proven lines and I wanted some foals from my own stock. Geeesh, talk about a geriatric herd
default_wacko.png
:

We have five over 19, and nine that are 15+. Here are our two oldest.

Stouts Ladybird, 23. She had her last foal (16th) in 2005. Photo'd here with #15 Wesco Farms Ladys Artful Roger, now in Japan.

lady_05-06-04.jpg

Pences Tina, 23. She may be pregnant this year (15th) otherwise she's done. Photo'd with #14, Wesco Farms Tricked Me Tina.

Tina_05-06-04.jpg

Latest posts

Back