police bought my 5 babies home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PondlakeMinis

Reaction score
I can laugh about this now as it turned out ok but was scary at the the time. Yesterday morning I went down at 6:15 am to feed my horses and goats as usual before I went to work. I got down to the barn and found the gate open to the paddock that my five babies are in. No babies. I am calling and calling. could not find them anywhere. The gate is usually tied and I definitely remember tieing it the night before. The gate was unties and rope lying on the ground. No tire tracks or anything unusual around the barn. all the other horses were present. Ran back to the house for my car, cell phone and head lamp. It was still dark of course. There is a camp ground about a half mile down the road from me. I went down there and looked around. No babies. went back to the barn and was going to go in the back woods. Started to go back there, but there were no tracks so decided they couldn't have gone there. Then I see car lights coming slowly down my driveway I have a long driveway. I went up farther to meet them. WHAT DO I SEE. five naughty babies trotting abreast down my driveway. they all stopped by me, then ran to the barn and went in.

The car was a police officer. Of course, I started to cry, asking where he had found them. some person father down from the campgrounds saw them and herded them back and called the police. thank goodness. they were almost to the main highway which is almost 1 and 1/2 miles from my place. the officer was very nice. Told me to take a deep breath and relax as they were home.

In the nice weather I have a gate up so if this happens, the horses can't go anywhere. now with all the snow I can't close it. naughty children. out for an adventure.

I never had to have a police officer bring my own child home, just my mini horse children. I am getting a chain for their gate.

Now it is saturday morning and getting ready to go down to feed. I left them in the barn last night. I have to finish my xmas shopping today. All five babies are getting coal. LOL

cyndia

Happy Holidays to everyone.

Oh Cyndia how scary that must have been. I am so happy to hear that all the babies are back home safe and sound.
default_smile.png

Cyndia --

I'm so happy they're home!!! Don't feel bad for crying because it choked me up just imagining how you felt when you saw them coming down the driveway!!!

Hugs,

Jill

Obviously you and I have never met but.......I kinda/sorta think you might be fibbing when you say they're gonna get coal for Christmas. I'd be willing to bet those 5 lil ones are gonna make out like bandits this year.
default_wink.png

So so glad all ended well. I can't count how many times some of mine have gotten out. Most the time it was my daughter not latching the gate. I have tolerant neighbors! The state police came to my house one early morning asking if I had 3 little horses. They were running up and down our road. I live more than a mile from a main road at least and lots of stuff to get into before the road so they don't go far. Glad the kids are back safe at home.

Yes, those little kids can untie nots in a heart beat. Watch out, as soon as they do it once, they will keep at it until they untie it again. I like small lengths of chain and latches, the "no opposable thumbs!" on their part seems to be an advantage with latches
default_biggrin.png

Glad all turned out well for you and your babies are home.

Incidentally, a gaggle of miniatures or ponies, when bored, will play with and try everything, including tied gates. Chains work best.

Actually, I suggest putting a chain AND A LOCK (anything from a true key lock to a clip) on the gates because they can still undo a chain - if you don't believe me, come to my farm. The horses would be happy to show you (they'll do it right in front of anyone). There isn't a single gate that doesn't have a lock on it and its not from trying to keep people out - just the horses in 
default_laugh.png

Hey, I probably would have cried too!! So dont feel bad!! And yes I agree, they deserve bags of coal, LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad they are safe at home. Fiesta did that once to me. I keep ALL my gates closed but was coming thru the main gate and he had gotten out of his pen (I did not think that ole boy could run that fast) before I could close the gate he slipped out like a wet noodle off a pasta plate. Down the road he ran and there was no way I could chase him down. He got about 1/2 mile down the road and realized no one was with him and turned around and came trotting back and up the drive and back in ...Thank Goodness!
default_unsure.png

Bad, bad horses. . . !

I have to confess when I saw the subject line, I instantly had a picture in my mind and started laughing. . . they can be so naughty, especially when in a herd. I'm glad everything turned out well and before you had to really panic, the outcome was already becoming a story you'll tell for years.

I was also reminded again yesterday about how naughty they can be as I looked out the window and watched some of the mares led by Sasquatch the llama take off down the frozen river that cuts through our pastures. It's a very small river, more like a big stream that's quite shallow and has about 10 inches of ice right now. One of the pastures doesn't have fence on that side as they like to stand under the trees on the banks of the river during hot days and they don't go in the water (obviously, mares with new foals do not go in that pasture). Last year, we caught them doing it and had to go down there and herd them back. It's like Mares Gone Wild, all you can see are their big old butts running down the river. They think its sooooo funny to have us go down there and slide around while trying to herd them back.....

Moved them over to the completely fenced pasture again. . . bad, bad, girls!!!

I'd be tempted to make some placards with numbers on them, hang them around their necks, line em up and take a groug mug shot . . . maybe the cop would show up again and be in the photo....

Could make a great christmas card or website picture. . .

So glad there was a happy ending. Yup, I can testify that horses (especially minis) can and will do what you'd never expect so one of them probably untied the gate. They probably thought it was a great adventure - up to the point that they had missed breakfast!

Oh those naughty babies!! I hope the officer gave them a talking to! I know you were scared to death! I'm so glad they got home safely! WHEW!

{{{{Cyndia}}}} *Whew*

Hmmmm have they by chance been hanging out with Marty's redneck colt??? Or texting with him??? Hate to say it,, he is a bad influence!

Glad all is well! Sounds like a stressful time for a few minutes. Bad babies!

Oh that painted a great picture in my head! Too cute! So glad you got them back safe and sound!

Christrmas came early for you.

I think an angel was watching over your foals.

Latest posts

Back