Pneumabort K Vaccine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimfessel5

Reaction score
I was interested in seeing what the opinions are on this Vaccine.

We had a mare abort early this year and was hoping to lessen the chances of it happening

again, if that's possible.

Let me know what you all do.

Thanks.

How early? Rhino is a late-term problem.

We always recommend that our mares (full sized) be vaccinated at months 5, 7, and 9. We've never seen a problem with it. Some people here have. Remember, just because (hypothetically) you've never had a problem doesn't mean that you won't have one now.

How early? Rhino is a late-term problem.

We always recommend that our mares (full sized) be vaccinated at months 5, 7, and 9. We've never seen a problem with it. Some people here have. Remember, just because (hypothetically) you've never had a problem doesn't mean that you won't have one now.

The mare that aborted in Jan. was due the end of April. The mare I am currently

concerned about, is just starting her 5th month, which I know is the

recommend month to receive the first dose. So, that's why I was asking

to see if other breeders normally give this vaccine to mini's?

I have never given a Rhino shot to any of my mares, and have had no problems.

However this is NOT a recommendation not to give it. Just my statement, that I don't give it.

[SIZE=14pt]I had not given it for years.... had a disastrous foaling season this year so I am giving it this year. I have 4 mares with positive ultrasounds and I would like to keep them this coming year. We lost two fillies and their mothers in March of this year and then the two remaining mares we had in foal had resosrbed or somethng because they were empty. Going to do everything I can to help that this year.[/SIZE]

Lyn

All our pregnant mares get the shots and we have had no problem with that. jennifer :saludando:

I have always given it to my mini mares & have had no problems whatsoever. In 17 years of breeding....I've only had one abortion & it was very early (3 months - before any Pneumabort was given).

Now there are some who swear that their mares aborted right after getting their pneumabort shots & will not give them ever again. But, I think in most of these cases....the mare was going to abort regardless if she had getten the shots or not (timing was co-oincidental).........or there may have been a "bad batch" of vaccinations.

I've heard of MANY, however, who didn't give the shots & had many mares abort.

Bottom line.....everyone has there own personal feelings about this. You have to do research & make up your own mind. AND....consult your vet (if you have one that you respect & trust) and follow their suggestions.
default_yes.gif
:

this is a tough question.. for as many people that swear they never have had any problems giving it there are just as many who have had issues giving the shot and frankly those that have and have not and have no different statistics ( I happen to fall into that catagory)

I will say that most large breeding farms (large horses ) that do give the shot dont give them in the 9th month. That seems to be the danger months and those farms that do give them in the 2nd,4th,8th month and then again for the pre foaling vaccanations in the 10th month

this is a tough question.. for as many people that swear they never have had any problems giving it there are just as many who have had issues giving the shot and frankly those that have and have not and have no different statistics ( I happen to fall into that catagory)

I will say that most large breeding farms (large horses ) that do give the shot dont give them in the 9th month. That seems to be the danger months and those farms that do give them in the 2nd,4th,8th month and then again for the pre foaling vaccanations in the 10th month

I've worked for several large breeding farms and I've never heard anyone giving 2, 4, and 8th month, nor skipping the 9th month. I've never heard of a mare aborting because of the ninth month vaccine, and we breed about 1000 head per year.

well Nathan with all due respect guess it goes to show that even in your vast experience working at a stallion station with repro stuff.... there is always Plenty of others that do things different and in ways you never heard of especially those that are on the opposite end of what you do (meaning the delivery not the conception)

In fact there are MANY vets who also have read the research and follow this advice.. along with many of these same farms not doing just repro cultures when sending mares out to be bred but stallion owners now commanly requesting gutteral pouch scopes as well

I did speak with my vet today and he does recommend the shots. To

quote, he said "Absolutely, and don't think twice about it"

So, I hope all goes well, we will give her the first dose on Monday.

We had a horrible foaling season a few years ago......within 24 hours of giving the 9th month Pneumabort Shot had a number of abortions. Checked with other breeders in the area that year and they also had the same experience.

Consequently, we either give our mares all of their basic shots early in their pregnancy, or do NOT give the Pneumabort shot during the 9th month. We have never had that rash of 9th month abortions since. (We tend to have between 10 to 15 foals per year.)

Other breeders have never had a problem with the Pneumabort shots, so I would say, do what you feel comfortable with.

MA

I had a mare 2 years ago abort after giving the pneumobort K shot. It was just a little too coincidental for me to ignore. She was absolutely fine before the shot. Evening of the shot she went off her feed and I checked her bag(I always do bag checks with my mares in later pregnancy) and she had some bag where there was none in the am. The next morning she aborted.....and it required pulling the foal out. I found her lying in the stall drenched in sweat with the placenta already delivered but no foal. The foal was way back in the uterus, upside down and backwards....obviously not anywhere close to normal delivery position. It may be coincidence but I have heard of others with similar stories. I don't give the injections anymore. If in the future I decide to give them I think I would omit the 9th month dose. Oh, the foal looked absolutely normal...of course a filly.

We do not use the shot. I purchased a mare in foal a few years back and was instructed by the seller to give her a premabort at the given months. I never did follow her advice, as I have a friend that also has had several losses following the shot.. We just let things go along naturally, and she did just fine when she foaled out.. She has since then had another foal without the shots, and we are still doing fine. I tend towards the "if its not broke, dont fix it " saying there.

I always give the pneumabort K vaccine at 5, 7, and 9 months and I have not had any late term abortions.

We haven't given shots since our first mare that we bred ended up with a stillbirth in 2005. We had a very healthy, live, wildly colored sabino pinto colt out of her this year. We just decided that it's not worth the risk. As a matter of fact our mares don't recieve their yearly shots till after they have foaled unless absolutely nesseccary.
default_smile.png

We have about 10 foals a year as well. We dont give them and never have. The last abortion we had was my mare about 5-6 years ago and that was at 3 months along. And I do feel it was because she had taken a pretty hard fall while out playing with the herd one day.

I quit giving it after losing a few unborn foals.

I do give the 6-way shots, that which includes Rhino before they are due so that the antibodies can go straight to the foal. I don't do the 5, 7, 9 month shots though. Not had that many babies, but each one came out alright and healthy.

Latest posts

Back