Please tell me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Range

Reaction score
I was grooming my little coming three year old filly yesterday and discovered some filling in front of her udder area. Please tell me this is a fat deposit! As far as I know, there is no way she can be bred! Her udder isn't any larger, just the area in front of it. She's never had this before and, though I'll be very frustrated since I keep trying to get weight off of her, I'll feel better knowing this is just fat! Funny thing is, it wasn't there last week.....

Hon you might want to add a picture to the post if you can, it would help people evaluate. Good luck.

Sounds like that's the milk gland that all mares have.
yes.gif
The factory that helps make milk for the udder, it grows and fills during pregnancy. But like women, your girl has grown her adult bosom. Even fillies have them but they are not that detectable until they're older, like your 3 year old.

My guess is that's what that is. But a vet can tell you for sure.

Any chance she got bred?

My 3 year old has a soft fat feeling spot right there, she loves to be scratched there. I have to watch it in the summer cause it seem to be a favorite spot for bug bites.

Could it be a hernia?

When I first got Tuff, he was still in his baby fuzzies. I got him home, clipped & cleaned him up. When I was cleaning his sheath, there was a small bulge in front of his "man part". I pushed on it, and it did not seem to make him uncomfortable, it was very soft and warm. My husband looked at it, said it was a hernia.

We took him to the vet, and after a very small hernia surgery, he's fine.

Oh, I've been right in your shoes before. It's like this little puffy pad in front of the udder, right? It is a fat deposit. Bagging up is actually in the udder itself. When I saw this in one of my mares years ago, I too thought, omg, she's either going to foal or she has a tumor. But, no, it's just fat.
yes.gif

Yep, little puffy pad in front of the udder. I'm sorry, I tried to get a picture, but all you can see is hair, fuzzy little monster. Darn it! I've been trying to get this girl to lose weight forever! Now, she's adding fat pads instead! Back to the drawing board. Thank you for your opinions!

I have been worrying about the exact same thing! Two of our mares, both 2 year olds, have those little puffy pads in front of their udders also. Im glad you asked here! We have asked our vet but he didnt know what they were.
wacko.gif
I feel alot better now knowing that its nothing bad!

Latest posts

Back