Please show me or describe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Range

Reaction score
My miniature mare LOVES to jump. I've built one fence for her from PVC, just a little vertical, but I think the ground line is off a little. I'd like to build some more since she loves it and I'd like to have a "course" for her. Could you show me some of the things you have created?

Thank you so much!

I will draw you some pictures in paint. They won't be pretty but you will get the idea. We made some of ours out of wood. Some are made with wood and PVC

Jumps.jpg

Here are three of our jumps. We like making ours very colorful so the horses get used to flashy colors and shapes. The top one has short enough posts so you can get your lead over it. The second one doesn't have any posts, it is good for training a horse to go over without a person, and the last one is more spooky with the plants at the bottom.

Editted to add that the red things on the first one are basic pole holders for jumps that you can get from a tack store.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a really good jump that the horses sometimes don't like to jump and if you are into jumping you might want to try this one. I wish I had a picture to send you now. I took a large black culvert and cut it in half. It is about 18" in height but it also has a large spread for them to jump. Makes a great jump. Depending on how much it cost you can go with a 2 1/2 foot piece and put both sections together or do a 5 foot piece and have two jumps. Here is a picture of my granddaughter and her horse jumping at a show. This horse loves to jump. She flies over them. They make a great team. I'll see if I can find the picture of the culvert jump and send it tonight.

DianaCollageMockup1.jpg

stormerjumps.jpg

This is a picture of the jumps I got for Christmas, or one of them. They came in a set of four, one of them is a double. We had made some, previously, but found they were too time-intensive and we didn't know how to fine tune them, just got too frustrating as my hubby is not very handy with woodworking, and every time something wasn't right, he felt bad about it, as did I....

so we went ahead and bought these. They were ready very fast and we bought them unpainted so we can paint them any color we like. They came w/all the cross poles and ground poles:

Stormer's Jumps

Liz M.

Secret just jumps the jumps we use with the big horses, we just make them smaller. He does jump the one I am jumping in the picture. We also use tires with poles on top and drums on there side or with poles on top.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours are pretty simple. They are made out of PVC and we add things like flowers and other scary objects to get the horse used to things they might see at another horse show.

Here they are

10a.jpg

hope this works

This is a chicken coop I built with 3 half rounds of plywood and slats of wood across. The posts are 2x4's with holes drilled in for pegs to set the extra pole on to raise the height.

jumpersmall.jpg

LittleRock is my stallion and he loves to jump!!!

I have built quite a few jumps mostly out of scrap wood and odds and ends of stuff. Just make sure they are sturdy and safe, easy to set up and move.

Here is the jump I described in a few replys above.
culvertjump.jpg
It works really great and a bit scary at first.

You can make a nice little standard with a 4x4 peice of lumber...about 26 inches long. You can brace it with two peices of 2x4 at the bottom, one piece across and the other at a right angle. These peices need only be about 14 inches long.

Then you can make adjustable heights by taking a piece of 2x4 and cutting it with a 3 inch hole saw and then cut this circle out in two. Actually, I usually cut them in 3, throwing away a little piece so I have shallower cups. This will give you some curved pieces that you screw onto the upright and the pvc pipe will stay in place but roll out if hit (safety feature). Put 2 or 3 of these on your uprights and you can adjust your fence heights.

You can also make little gates (or wings), just like the big guys use, with one of these uprights and a 2x4 frame covered with lattice or pickets and braced at the bottom with just 2 peices of 2x4 placed at right angles on each of the uprights of the gate.

The jump cups can also be used on any other kind of upright to make little 'stone walls' and coups....just look at photos of Hunter fences from full size horse shows...there are a million on the web...and get creative.

If you go to my website www.oldbellfarm.com and click on the 2003 Show Results listed on the left hand side of the page you will see some of my jumps. The jump cups are fairly visable on one of the pictures, so that should help.

Have fun creating.

Eve Dexter

Latest posts

Back