Please share (recent or old) driving pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
It seems that a lot of people are "lurking" here so I thought it might be helpful to post some driving photos with a bit of an explanation. For example, age/training of mini, activity represented, type of cart, anything else you can think of.

These are all photos from 2011 of our 7 year old mare Aloha Acres Fashion by Magic (aka Princess) pulling a wooden wheeled cart made by A Silver Penny Farm.

Dressage at Lindenwald where she and I were both having a lot of trouble with the heat. Black coat (her) and black jacket (me) likely didn't help. My jacket was perhaps just a bit conservative, if there is such a thing in dressage!

Lindenwald_dressage_1.jpg

Here she is on a cones course the next month (can't see the cones, but you can guess, can't you? I think she was reading my mind!

Cones_8_20_5B.jpg

And the next month (well every month, but only photos from September) in an obstacle driving class (combined minis and ponies) at a New England Pinto Show. She won the year end high point in this event which was about the only class we were able to enter at all four shows because she colcked at one of them. (These aren't in quite the right order, but hope you get the idea).

_MG_8833.JPG

_MG_8834.JPG

_MG_8836.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we needed some action on this forum huh? I posted these pictures before and they kind of stink in terms of view and color. But oh well. I'm bored tonight an need to daydream about driving since it's too dark to drive when I get home every night.

This is my 3 year old silver dapple mare put to a sulky style cart, with a Comfy Fit harness.

SashaDriving.jpg

Here is a shot of my current cart, on a budget to get my Hyperbikes, but for $195, this little sulky rocks! It is so lightweight, perfectly balanced for this size pony (which is really hard to find), and comfortable for horse and human, nice wide shafts and stirrups that work for my legs. It has a nice comfy seat pad now too!

Sulky.jpg

This is my 2 year old sorrel and white mare ground driving, same harness.

SitkaDriving.jpg

This is Sitka again, my 2 year old, early this past spring, working in my training harness, with just a halter, which is how i started them both. I also used a bitless bridle at times to teach giving to pressure, before transitioning to a bit. Not always popular on here, I know, but I had lots of bitless experience prior to minis and driving, so gave it a try. Neither horse drives as well in the bitless as in a bitted bridle though.

SissyGroundDriving.jpg

Both horses are in the midst of training to be trail driving horses, and I have aspirations of eventually doing overnight camping trips with them, and possibly going to Acadia National Park to drive the carriage trails. Both have been exclusively trained by me, but i will most likely be adding the assistance of a trainer once they are ready for pairs training. What i really enjoy most is the process of training them, the bumps in the road that teach me about myself and my approach with them. I really want to have 2 very safe, sane driving horses that enjoy their job and can explore the world. Nothing bums me out more than seeing horses, but minis in particular, hanging out in their pastures doing nothing. Now I know, they probably don't mind, but do believe somewhat that a horse that gets out and sees the world is better adjusted. I am totally impressed with minis, well ponies, as they are 39-40" tall, in that they really are so fun to drive, and that I miss riding very little. Once I have my hyperbikes, well, then I'll never miss riding again I think!

Sorry about the repeat pictures, but maybe someday soon I'll have better ones to post!!

Katie

Here is my recently broke gelding-- would he be considered green? He is a pretty quiet horse. Will add more details and pics.

thanksgiving2011286.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

Here's my grandson driving for his first time in a show -- Western Country Pleasure Driving under with my mare Mandalay Bay. The cart is a Jerald mini pleasure cart.

Same cart but 6 yrold granddaughter driving my elder gelding, Chip, in Pleasure Driving under. 2011Joeydriving.JPG

This is me at Nationals driving my trainer's Jerald Viceroy in Park Harness over with Magic Spell.2011_AMHR_Magic_Sandy.jpg

The last is my newly gelded guy, Simply Awesome, in a Christmas parade with my daughter driving. She always insists on using my Jerald show cart. 2011 Oostburg Parade 3.jpg

That's all my horses but I now own a Vicerory, and a big-wheeled 26" sort of country cart I use for some practice and another show cart by Graber which I prefer for obstacle driving.

Here are pictures of our stallion, Erica's Echos of My Destiny HOF, driving at the Nationals the year he won Res. National Grand WCP. Destiny is wearing my Lutke show harness and driving Erica Killion's cart, which I do think is a Houghton but maybe is a Jerald. Trained and Shown in driving by Parnell Training Stables.

Destiny-----2008-Nationals-Driving-----Small.jpg

Destiny---2008-Center-Ring-Win---Medium.jpg

Destiny----2008-Nationals-Victory-Lap----Reserve-National-Grand-Champion.jpg

Destiny-2008-Nationals-4.jpg

Destiny-2008-Nationals-3.jpg

Jill, have you driven Destiny since you've gotten him home? I'll bet he'd love taking his mommy out and about and showing himself off! And if you have any nearby ADS shows, you and he could have a whole new challenge in serious driving classes.

Jill, have you driven Destiny since you've gotten him home? I'll bet he'd love taking his mommy out and about and showing himself off! And if you have any nearby ADS shows, you and he could have a whole new challenge in serious driving classes.
Well, with all Destiny has done and won, I don't think he needs or wants me to show him. I think he's earned a stress free life at home. He's got a show record the likes of which most horses will never acheive, and we have some nice young horses we could show, including some of his daughters, if the time and mood strikes
default_wub.png

Destiny is one of four horses that we drive for fun
default_yes.gif
At this time, I don't have any interest nor the time to pursue ADS. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, National level driving wins are seriously something, and the icing on the cake when they topped off such a successful halter career
default_yes.gif

Susanne, I'm not sure where you were going with the remark, and if I read something you didn't intend into your post, please excuse me but thank you for the oportunity to elaborate on one of my favorite horses of all time, and his well earned "early" retirement to become a sire, sometimes driver, and "big" pet for H and myself
default_yes.gif

Oooh this all gets me excited for spring. We're working on ground manners this winter. I need the exercise worse than my horses so it will do us all some good. Love the pics guys! Great looking horses and drivers
aktion033.gif

Not "going" anywhere, Jill...just hoping to hear that you and Destiny are still driving, so I'm happy. I know how much Mingus loves his job and how much I enjoy driving him, and I always hope that others continue to share that same partnership.

I asked about the ADS pleasure shows because I can't imagine having them nearby and not entering -- but that's just me. Alas, there are none in our region.

Thanks for the explanation, Susanne. I guess I thought "Destiny's been home for over 3 years, of course I've driven him." Then the "serious driving classes" remark... As a breeder, the breed show wins are very serious to me.

I do think there are ADS opportunities here, but it's just not something I have the time or interest in right now. We like to drive our horses in our yard, the field, woods, and parks. Really, I've always been a pretty independent / not a real fan of group activities type person when it comes to free time.

With my free time limited and the weather, one of my favorite things to do with Destiny and all our horses right about now though is just lay some pets and hugs on them and watch them interact. Destiny and DunIT, so much to my surprise, have become very good through the fence friends with each other (grooming each other time on end).

The pictures of all the show horses are awesome, whether breed shows or ADS, and they put my little fuzzy backyard photos to shame (well, not really, I'm not ashamed, but would love to see my girls all prettied up and fancy!). Jill I too don't have the patience or fortitude necessary to spend my free time at horse shows right now. I showed stock horses in reining and WP and speed events for many years all through my childhood and into my early adulthood. It was a great experience, but for me now the adventure is in my training process and relationship with my girls, which is NOT to say that people who show do not strive for this very same thing. Showing is exhausting to me now, and my discovery that driving is my new challenge, and with minis yet!, is fulfilling my need for personal growth with horses. I'm also finding some very big rewards in driving my horses for actual work, imagine that, like hauling firewood and small logs, moving snow. It gives me a real sense of purpose in my driving and horsemanship skills. We all find something intrinsically rewarding about driving these little beggers, in whatever avenue we choose, or we wouldn't be on here! Keep all the pictures coming....

Katie

This picture was taken back in (July?
default_unsure.png
) haha I can't remember. Anyway, this was my first time driving my gelding, Sox. His first time being hooked up in over a year ( before we bought him he was only hooked up a few times) and it was my 2nd? Time driving! I'm so proud of him and he's such a good boy!

331es8w.jpg

Then 2 weeks ago me and Sox going for a fun ride! Snow style
default_wink.png
He's never been hooked up to a sled before this day. He was so good. I swear he was sent to me from God
default_rolleyes.gif

r8s65l.jpg
ri4sk9.jpg

It looks like in just over a page, we are already seeing the many different ways we can enjoy driving our minis. For pure FUN, I am glad to see photos in the snow. I was thinking that the MOST FUN I had driving was having Princess pull the sled in the snow last year, especially the thrill of getting whipped around on corners! sledding_12_31_1_edited.jpg

For those who drive around home, I highly recommend setting up a few cones for fun. Our minis seem to really love the challenge and we admit we do too. We set up 3 sets, starting wide and then bringing them closer as they improve. If you vary the course, even with 3 sets they never know what comes next. The picture below is from an exhibition we did in October and all the minis and donkeys there tried it out! Note the spectators along the road.

P1040036.JPG

This is Mare at her first HDT we had a lot of fun!

med_gallery_19436_157_37461.jpg

I took my stallion Ace and he did great! Took awhile to learn the cones course but we still had fun : )

med_gallery_19436_157_50793.jpg

med_gallery_19436_157_34728.jpg

med_gallery_19436_157_11541.jpg

Thanks for letting me share
default_aktion033.gif

This year we are going to try out the breed ring driving, I have four ready to go!

This is Mare at her first HDT we had a lot of fun!

med_gallery_19436_157_37461.jpg

I took my stallion Ace and he did great! Took awhile to learn the cones course but we still had fun : )

med_gallery_19436_157_50793.jpg

med_gallery_19436_157_34728.jpg

med_gallery_19436_157_11541.jpg

Thanks for letting me share
default_aktion033.gif

This year we are going to try out the breed ring driving, I have four ready to go!
Hey, what kind of cart is that? Me likey!!

The horse is pretty sharp, too!!!

Hey, what kind of cart is that? Me likey!!

The horse is pretty sharp, too!!!

It's a G & S cart the guy has a website..I love it for my 32"-33" inch guys but my 31" and unders have a harder time pulling it. He does make a smaller version but I don't think it comes with the right kind of wheel for CDEs.

Jack in Harness.JPGJack with the cart.JPG

Attached are a few photos of Jack my 36" pony. One is in Alaska and one is in California. I love all the photos of people showing in the ADS style with the aprons and hats. I just ordered an apron today! We don't have any ADS shows in Alaska but I am planning on showing him in a driving class at our local fair and figured I would show him in the ADS style vs the Country Western Pleasure style at the breed shows.

I am a member of ADS but I am having a hard time understanding how to put together a proper turn out. I noticed everyone in the photos posted is wearing a riding hat vs a formal style church hat. Is that a safety thing or a style choice?

Back