Please Share Ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
We built a bigger pen for the baby boys today.. approx 16 x 48.

I walked around with a rake and scraped around and this picture is what I recovered...

What a mess.. Brick, concrete, insulation board, a wire handle from what use to be a bucket, boards with nails, just lots of stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas what we can do to "clean" the pasture? There's no way that you can just walk around and get everything like I did in the pen. Some stuff is partialy buried or covered with dead grass. The ground is very uneven as in ruts and some dips where trees use to be...

We have a tractor... I was thinking maybe there's something we could rent to drag the pasture or maybe a big magnet to pull around? No clue.. anyone have any ideas or know of anything to help?

Just trying to plan our Spring!

Pen.jpg

Sounds like our farm we just bought. Didn't know when we bought it that pastures were full of garbage including sharp glass and beer bottles. It was overgrown by weeds.The farm sat empty for couple of years so pastures weren't cared for. I don't have an answer for you but what we do is just go out every day in the golf cart that has a dump truck and pick it up. And trust me I am not talking about house hold garbage. We found toys, metal, sharp glass, barbed wire, hay strings, car parts, electrical things, hangers, beer bottles, cans, roof shingles..the list goes on. Seems like every time it pours hard rain, more stuff washes up. We just go out and pick it up by hand. More labor and time doing it that way but anything to keep our horses safe. However, I am thinking of finding someone to till the whole pasture as I am sure there is more trash buried in the ground. Just don't understand how some people don't manage their land and choose to throw garbage in the fields rather than in the trash can.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the same problem here...the land we are renting sat for almost 4 years and people used it for a dumping site...but since the grass was pretty overgrown, we didn't know it til the horses ate it down. We are constantly picking up bits of glass, metal, etc. just like Miniparadise has found.
default_unsure.png
There are still big pieces of crap out there that we will need something to pick it up with like a tractor. The front area of the pasture is pretty well cleared, but the back is still bad. With our sand, we will be finding stuff for years...
default_wacko.png

If you have a tractor or 4-wheeler even a riding mower (may have to raise the deck up high as it goes) and can borrower a harrow, from someone you could drag the field and pick up the stuff it collects every so many rounds of the field.

Right now my horses are in dry lots because we are having logging done, and our pastures are the staging area :arg! We have been here seven years, and thought by now the horse areas were pretty cleaned up...Well went out to feed this evening, nd one of my mares had a two foot long piece of barbed wire in her tail! (We took down ALL the barbed wire when we moved here, we thought!) I was surprised after this long I wouldnt have ran across that piece in the dry lot...

If you have a tractor or 4-wheeler even a riding mower (may have to raise the deck up high as it goes) and can borrower a harrow, from someone you could drag the field and pick up the stuff it collects every so many rounds of the field.
Ohhh... I looked up harrows online and there was one that looked perfect..... now if I could find one or maybe rent one... hmmm

Thanks Sandee!

Lynda, I have a small chain harrow you are welcome to borrow if you like. I pull it with my riding mower and it does a really good job. It's like this one Drag Harrow

My dry lots are built over an area where the previous property owner apparently dumped his garbage. I've been picking up trash out there for years and everytime it rains, there's more junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynda, I have a small chain harrow you are welcome to borrow if you like. I pull it with my riding mower and it does a really good job. It's like this one Drag Harrow

My dry lots are built over an area where the previous property owner apparently dumped his garbage. I've been picking up trash out there for years and everytime it rains, there's more junk.
I hope we don't have the continual surfacing stuff... Some things were driven like spears into the ground and there are deep gouges from the flying vehicles and whatever else, so who knows... I just have to get these boards with nails. there are also these metal things with lots of sharp points, they hold trusses together, I've found a few of those.. I think one of the scariest things I found was a circular saw blade! My poor babies..
default_no.gif

I look at this stuff and think how scary it must have been...

There used to be a working still that produced moonshine on our place.........ugh...

Latest posts

Back