Please pray for my 2008 filly not doing so good

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
Vet was just here as I have a sick mini filly. Anyway he thinks she either is in heart failure, has Amonia or has this disease caused by being inbred, can't remember the name. He is treating her for Amonia, will be back tommorow. If she hasn't changed or her heart beat slows down he then will treat her for this other disease due to being inbred. Has to be treated with human medication for Tuberculosis. I hope it is not heart failure and something we can fix.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you've got a sick horse.

Ammonia is the chemical urine turns into. Do you mean pneumonia? That's a respiratory illness. What inbred issue would cause a respiratory illness or something that is easily confused with one?

Hoping she will be okay and that your other horses don't catch it.

l don't understand what you mean because of inbred we have a handful of very inbred mares and none have had a problem maybe aside from confirmation because of it...hoping all goes well for the baby..

I have heard it said that with "in breeding or line breeding " the results can be really good or really bad.

The following is a quote from a horse site regarding "in breeding"

the inbred horse's ability to resist disease and his overall performance capacity are often depressed. The growth rate of the inbred foal, and the average mature size within the inbred herd, frequently decreases. Nonselective inbreeding is directly related to a depressed fertility rate, an increase in abortion and stillbirth. Some basic principles of genetics show why these traits are directly related to inbreeding.

Wishing your filly well, and hopefully good news from the vet.

My vet told me the name of the disease caused by inbreeding and says it is not seen often. Yes I mean Pneumonia, duh. Her symptoms are rapid heart rate, heavy breathing, sunk in belly near hips, rounded belly near front, not eating, lies down then gets up, normal temperature, normal poop, not dehydrated. She does whinny at me though when I go in barn but seems weak. She was fine yesterday and was a little off this morning, didn't eat her grain and picked at her hay. The other 4 foals are all fine. If it is Pneumonia I have no clue how she got it as she stays in the barn when cold and raining out. I only put them out on good days.

Minis are especially prone to respiratory issues actually when enclosed, much more so than when allowed in and out. Some think it's because they are a lot closer to the bedding than full size horses. The only horses I've ever really had respiratory issues with were ones at my former trainers, where they spent a good deal of time in stalls.

Good luck.

My vet will be back tommorow around noon. I hope her heart rate goes down and she is feeling better before he comes. Then I know it won't be heart failure. He said if she doesn't worsen or die during the night that is a good sign. He said if she is worse in the morning to phone him asap and he will come check her first thing and if no hope to put her down. I don't want her to suffer. Of course this happens to the one I want to keep. She is only 23" tall at 5 months old.
default_no.gif

I think one thing an elevated heart rate indicates is pain? I hope she will live. I can't imagine being told "if she makes it through the night." Poor baby!

Any chance this is colitis? Heart failure is pretty easy to diagnosis.

Oh gosh, I hope this filly will alright? I have had horses with pneumonia and when treated have done just fine. What has he given her? I too have not heard of a disease horses get from inbreeding. What is her inbreeding? How close?

Good luck, I pray she will be just fine. Sounds like your vet does not take miniature horses very seriously though.

Beth

Oh my gosh how terrible. If it's pnemonia did he put her on antibiotics and if she was that dang bad why doesn't he have her on an IV push w/ them going in her. What they do is put a little catheter in her then do IV pushes on her every 4 hrs or so or however long for horses, to put the antibitoics in.

You could administer them. Plus, did he give her shots, or did he give her oral medication?

Sorry, but I'd be a hag and they'd dang sure do something instead of telling me, well if she's alive in the morning. I'll be hauling her rear end to someplace like a hospital. BUT, that's me.

I'll pray for your little girl and you. We lived 3+ hrs away from a hosptial and our boy couldn't pee, after a "local VET" screwed him up worse we rushed him there, had NO money but what ya going to do.... We credit carded it. But, I know not everyone can do that. I really, really feel for you. I know that doesn't help you at the moment.

So here's a big hug......)))) TJ

She gets 2 different shots and is not dehydrated. Vet checked. Her poop is good. She was eating some hay when I left the barn a few minutes ago and to me that is a good sign. One shot he has her on is for pain, other is for Pneumonia. She is in a stall by herself with a water bucket. My vet is great and has been my vet for almost 15 years now. As for sending her to a hospital I cannot afford it and cannot put it on my Visa. I only have a $500 limit and owe about $350 on that now. I would if I could and the vet said if it is heart failure it wouldn't matter in the long run as it will eventually kill her but the way she acted tonight I don't think it is heart failure as she is not breathing as heavily and is eating a bit. I'll know more in the morning.

As for the inbreeding. Her dam, Benview Christina, is a daughter of Stuart Star and Christinas' dam is also a daughter of Stuart Star, not only making them mother and daughter but half sisters as well. My fillys' sire I am not sure of his breeding as I don't have a copy of his papers but his name is Iles Spotted Fever.

Well my mini filly was up this morning munching on hay in her stall, breathing not so heavy, she ate half her grain, drank water and pooed and peed. Her heartbeat is still off but not as bad as yesterday. To me this is a good sign. Hopefully the vet has good news at noon.

My filly born in May had pneumonia almost immediately - it took lots of antibiotics/shots (and $$$), but she is a happy and healthy little girl now. I think in the first 3 weeks of her life she had close to 50 shots - poor baby. It was pretty scarey, but thank God Kris Vegter and I noticed rapid breathing when she was a day old and Kris called her vet (Dream was born at Kris's farm).

Good luck with your filly - hoping for good news as today progresses.

Barbie

Shana, I'm so glad that your little filly is doing better. Yes, not everyone has a big limit on their credit card. I'm just lucky that my husband does. For that I feel so blessed. In face w/o him I probably couldn't afford these mini's so for that I am grateful. BUT, I am happy for you that she's eating and drinking and he WAS giving her shots that's a good sign. I was terrified he wasn't doing anything. The new vet I have now is so agressive about treating anything, and I'm so thankful for that. So I'm glad you have a good vet. Take care and keep us updated as to how she's doing and I'll keep praying for her. TJ

I am glad to hear your filly is doing better. I just hate it when a baby of any verity (human or animal) gets so sick. They just don't deserve it. I think they should get amunity from sickness...well, forever. Oh that would take care of us too.LOL

Well vet just left and some good news, she doesn't have heart failure but does have Rhodococcus Equi which is the disease I was talking about that horses that are inbred get quite often. I asked my vet to write it down so I could remember it. She has to be on 2 different pills(Erthromycin 3 times a day-not sure if spelled right and Rifampin twice a day) for 30 days. She'll also have to stay in the barn during that time as she'll be very sensative to light. He said that 70-90% of foals with this disease survive if treated properly. Now I have to go to the drug store as both drugs are human drugs and will cost about $100.

I'm so sorry to hear about your foal . I am somewhat puzzled as to why your vet seems to think that this condition is somehow related to foals that are closely bred.

The following is pretty common knowledge regarding the diagnosis of Rhodocuccus equi and may be of help.

Rhodococcus equi, (previously known as Corynebacterium equi) causes a persistent bacterial pneumonia in foals, and may become established as an endemic disease on some breeding farms. It may result in considerable losses through costs of diagnosis and treatment, and in some cases, through death. A better understanding of the disease may reduce its significance. There appears to be an increase in the importance of this bacterial disease, with the increased concentration of foals on a smaller number of breeding farms.

A recent survey at the Ontario Veterinary College showed that Rhodococcus equi infection accounted for 10% of all foals sent for post mortem examination and 45% of all foals with pneumonia. These numbers, however, may not reflect the true incidence of the disease in Ontario. While the infection does not seem to be a problem on many breeding farms, on farms with endemic disease, all the foals may become sufficiently ill to require treatment.

Ecology of the Organism

Rhodococcus equi is a robust soil organism widespread in the environment. It has simple nutritional requirements, which are perfectly met by materials in the manure of animals, whether from horses, cattle, pigs, or even chickens. The organism will potentially multiply wherever there is horse manure. Temperature also plays a major role in the growth of Rhodococcus equi, with optimum growth at 30ºC. In Ontario’s hot summer of 1988, death of foals was not restricted to those born to mares on breeding farms, under ideal temperatures, one organism may multiply 10,000 times in a few days in an area contaminated by horse manure.

There seems to be a direct relationship between the number of Rhodococcus equi in the environment of young foals and the number of cases of pneumonia. Because the organism reaches the lung by inhalation, dusty manure-contaminated environments (such as are commonly found in loafing paddocks on horse breeding farms in the summer) are potentially lethal sources of infection. The equivalent of one tablespoon of dusty soil kicked up by a mare, perhaps into the face of her sleeping foal, can contain a million of these bacteria. To prevent Rhodococcus equi infections, foals should thus ideally be born in January (when the organism remains frozen in the ground).

Rhodococcus equi can also multiply to dangerous levels in the intestine of a young foal. Foals establish a normal intestinal flora of bacteria from birth to 12 weeks. In this period, they seem to be susceptible to being infected by abnormally high levels of Rhodococcus equi. Levels of up to 10,000 organisms per gram of manure are sometimes shed from infected foals. After 12 weeks, the bacteria rapidly decline in number and no longer multiply in the intestine. The ability of the organism to multiply in foals, but not in adult horses is likely another reason why horse breeding farms may become progressively infected with Rhodococcus equi. Any of the bacteria then found in the intestine result from acquisition of grass.

These facts help to explain why some farms become heavily infected with the bacteria and develop problems each year with foal pneumonia. Little is known about the susceptibility of this robust organism to disinfectants. However, because many horse breeding farms do not use concrete, disinfection procedures are often difficult to carry out in the stalls and impossible in the loafing paddocks. In the areas where the foals are kept, regular disposal of manure and dust control have proven effective in reducing the levels of bacteria.

My vet just says he sees it more often in foals that are inbred. I have never heard of it before. This is the first time I have had a foal with it. My other 4 weanlings are all fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back