Please offer some perspective on cheap horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get what you are trying to say, Carolyn - it does make sense. I have to say though, that I'm a person who has gotten a couple of free minis, and a couple of free full sized horses, too. I don't show and don't think I'll ever have time to. I treat my minis pretty much as my dogs - they are just beloved pets/family members to me. So unless I end up with lots of excess income I can't imagine ever spending much on a mini's purchase price (but like most others I spend an awful lot on all of their needs!)

But if I DO end up with lots of excess income and want to buy a "better quality" mini - first I'm going to the breeders that gave me these free horses, that were willing to take a financial hit because it was more important to them to find the animals a good home. I have a lot of admiration for that!

I think you need to look at a persons situation of why they are selling the horse too. Some people will just clear out the whole herd for almost nothing when there has been a death or maybe they are going through a divorce. Just because the price is low it doesn't mean the quality is. You just have to keep your eyes open for those.

Both of mine were what I consider extremely cheap ($300 each) and came from homes where they got excellent care and the sellers checked me out pretty thoroughly. I think people who take good care of their animals will do so regardless of price but I also think people who don't take good care of them are attracted to the really cheap ones, hence the reason for the people I bought from checking me out so well.

Just because the price is low it doesn't mean the quality is.
I agree with that! :aktion033: Some of my best broodmares were bargain priced horses in both quality and pedigree.
default_smile.png

It is true that there are bargains out there, and with my own horses, some of the best ones (in the flesh and on paper) were not the most expensive. However, none of those were "cheap" either like the prices we're talking about. With so many nice horses for sale, I will keep looking past those $500 or so horses because my gut instinct is that's not going to be what I "need".

Flip side of that coin is every day, I see ones priced $3,000 or so that I wouldn't want for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's been good. The people have been fairley honest and I actually still talk to a couple of them. Now I realize that SOMETIMES with that low price comes additional issues. For me it's been 200 hundered dollar horse, yearly dental care because of off bite, or beautiful stallion with outstanding personality, he's a cryptorchid, which he's getting gelded in Nov! But with both of these two these are things I could see from the out side and still decided to take them. I actually have a whole band of misfits but you'd never know by glancing! LOL! I think I got lucky because I bought from really good people, it's not always like that.

We have had a mini given to us we kept until he died and also several ponies given to us and after we got them they had excellent care. Actually all were in good shape when we got them. Some people just want to clear them out. It isn't really a quality issue. I could have and in fact did with one turn around and sell it for more than market price. A cheap horse could just mean that they need out. I know a lady that paid $3000 for her stud and when she got divorced sold him for $600. Was his quality less when she sold him?

I have to add my 2cents here.

I have 2007 colts for sale priced at $125.

Now my prices are that low becuase I know the cost of shipping to way too high to ask more if I want them to go to GOOD HOMES.

And yes they are UTD on everything, and yes I'm out alot of money selling them at give away prices, the $125 is only to cover the cost of keeping them UTD on everthing.

I have been wrongly kicked out of AMHR becuase I purchused a bred mare in 2006

registered the foal with paperwork given to me by the seller. So now I can not put AMHR papers on the foals and really only want to find them good homes. I will help the buyer put WCMHR papers on them if they want.

I can not afford to keep them myself, so selling them at unheard of prices is the only way to get them good homes.

If I ask $500 for a unregisatered weanling colt you'd think I was nuts. Now selling them at low prices is nuts too, Can't win!! But I can't afford to keep this many horse UTD and care for either.

LOL but hey who even buy the colts will be getting the deal of thier lives.

Some times a good deal is just that a good deal. Some times there is not at thing wrong with the horses, just something the seller has to do for the good of the horses.

I must agree with Carol(Vertical Limit) and a couple of other posters, too, about the possible effects of neglect BEFORE you acquire a horse, as it indeed CAN have severe consequences...in my case, it was with a full sized buckskin QH gelding, given to my husband by my uncle-by-marriage--a lifelong and knowledgable cattle rancher, who had ALWAYS used horses, but apparently hadn't really learned CARE. This horse was always in excellent health, yet at about age 7-8, he coliced severely while we were at a little show up in Albuquerque(we lived 75 miles away in Socorro at the time)--despite calling a vet out for treatment, he again declined as the day progressed(and we'd actually been relieved that the colic occurred in ' the big city', as at the time, there was NO vet in Socorro, period!)-I called the vet back out, and he euthanized the horse as it was becoming dark(this was on a Sunday.) The vet made all the 'disposal' arrangements, but did do a necropsy, to learn...turned out, the horse had had a blood clot which travelled, and ended up blocking the main mesenteric artery, which supplies the intestines. Meant he was doomed from the first symptom; the vet also told us that the clot was almost CERTAINLY due to 'old' worm damage(I forget the type of worm; this was about 30 years ago!) WE had dewormed the horse regularly according to the best recommended practices of the time, and we ALWAYS practiced good husbandry in manure removal, etc.---turned out, the horse had apparently NEVER been dewormed before we got him, at age 3 or 4....to add to the irony--I had a buyer for the horse THAT DAY, as the Buckskin registry was just really gettting popular, people were looking for a nice kind of horse(as this horse was; my hubby just wasn't 'into' simply riding, and due to knee problems, couldn't rope anymore.)

I have placed SEVERAL horses by giving them away, in order to do the best/most I could to 'guarantee' them a safe and reliable future--to organizations, such as a Boys/Girls' Ranches in NM and CO, a local certified Therapeutic Riding program,and most recently, my 'big' Paint mare to a licensed equine rescue(because they screen carefully, and have a contract that does NOT allow resale, or breeding!- all after doing my homework about each group!), as well as to a dear friend who I KNEW provides a lifetime and wonderful home! In every case, these were USEFUL horses, worth decent and in some cases, pretty darn good, money--but because I care deeply about every one of them, the money was NOT the prime objective(and believe me, in my limited financial circumstances, it probably SHOULD be!)But, I sleep well at night...

I pretty much agree with Jill in my position about 'cheap' horses; my gut feeling is that many(no, not all, and of course there are NOTABLE exceptions--but many) who shop for and want to buy, 'cheap', often will also seem to feel that what they got 'cheap' doesn't really have much value, and therefore often, isn't treated as if it had any value--monetary or otherwise.

Early neglect, that isn't CURRENTLY happening, isn't always evident; I would want to know all I can about the REAL situation the horse is coming out of if horse shopping--it can't hurt to ask privately for personal experiences/references from others!

Margo

Hi :saludando:

Well. it's been a little bit since I've had time to post on here. But this deal hits home on

this subject. Right now I "HAVE TO" sell 1/2 my herd..... which is most of all my show horses.

I know these guys are worth more than what they are priced at...... I have lost a LOT of money

on the ones I've sold and have offered for sale......BUT.......drastic times takes drastic measures......

so I have some at "give away" prices..... And hopefully I can find a GOOD home for mine, and I will

deffinately feel the people out if they are intersted in one of mine..... THEY have to be going to

I have hopes of a good home....... All my guys are taken EXTREMLY good care of! But just because

they are at low prices doesn't mean they are poor quality or from bad homes..... my guys are ALL show

quality...... just bad sircumstances......

I understand life happens. I have issues with those that continually breed, then sell horses at low prices to move them out.

I hope these horses (colts) that are sold for a GEM of a deal are at least gelded before they are moved on. I don't think that is too much of an expense to ask a new owner for, that is part of being a responsable owner, especially if they are a pet. I firmly believe a stallion is not the top choice for a family pet.

Carolyn

I agree that price doesnt always equal quality nor does price paid(or how much money an owner has) equal care given

there are always deals to be found due to personal circumstances

Although to wonder how those that breed over and over again for very cheap are able to do it

I do not normally post on this website. However I have enjoyed reading it from time to time. When I have time..... The only way to get the prices back where they should be is STOP breeding so many. The last time we bred a large group of mares was in 2001. Everyone is hurting these days with Utilities going crazy. People are scared, and if you cannot afford to take care of them the way they should be than you need to get out of the business or put your hobby on a shelf for awhile. Don't continue to breed and sell them for a couple of hundred dollars or less. My god, dogs are selling for more money than that.

The market is not good for horses right now, so everyone should SLOW down. Just my opinion.

I can only answer for myself, but have been told many times that I sell mine too cheap and hurt the market. I believe everyone should be able to sell their horses for whatever they want. I personally don't understand why someone would do it continually at a loss, but that is not the case for me. It all comes down to the basic business aspect of it, which no one likes to talk about. This is my situation and might be the same for many. First of all I buy in bulk (feed, vaccines, wormers, even halters and leads.) and shop around for the best prices. I grow my own hay, alfalfa and brome, plus I own 7 acres of pasture. I also have a good relationship with all my vets so unless its an emergency, they talk me through it. The biggest savings to me is preventative maintenance keep up with the basics and you don't have as many emergencies. I used to do my own farrier work also, up until a year ago when my back started having trouble.

Also, I breed because I thoroughly enjoy all aspects of it, including the intensive labor. I put in the fences, build stalls, etc. I enjoy it so I don't consider it work, it is my valium (stress relief). My savings is that I don't have to pay a therapist (No Dr. Phil needed)LOL. I will never get rich off of my horses, but they have treated me well over the years and nothing beats the smile on a new owners face. I have sold high priced and cheap horses. I have even rebought several that were not in the right situation. I have actually found in the 15 years of breeding the miniatures that my lower priced ones have actually had better care. I think part of the reason is that they are a pet and are part of the family. Many times the higher priced ones are bought just purely to get the almighty blue ribbon and when that doesn't happen they are down the road to who knows where. Whats the use in selling a high priced horse to someone, only to find out they had no money left to pay for the care. Unfortunately, selling horses to the perfect home is a crap shoot. In the last 15 years I have been lied to more tiimes by buyers, even so far as delivering a horse to a nice fancy barn only to find out a year later it wasn't theirs. They actually lived next door in a shack and the horse was not in a nice fancy stall like I thought, it was in the backyard with no shelter. It seems sometimes that misrepresentation is the name of the game and thats on the buyers part even more so than the sellers. If they pay you in cash, do you really know who they are. (Long story)

Sorry got off track.

I have purchased numerous horses. In 1997 I went to a arabian dispersal sale. The farm had gone bankrupt and had over 300 arabians at that farm alone. They had another farm in Ontario and one in Texas. They just got to big. They had over 1000 arabians in total. I bid on a gorgeous 2 year old filly and got her for $600. There was nothing wrong with her, excellent pedigree and very sweet natured. I sold her 2 years later for $3500 due to personal reasons. She is in a great home and is loved. She was worth more than what I sold her for but I know I didn't pay much for her and wanted a good home for her. Then in 1993 I bred my arabian mare to a arabian stallion. The stud fee was only $350, come to find out that stallion was the 1973 Eastern Canadian Breeders champion Stallion in halter but his owner was not aware of that as he was not told that when he bought him. Sadly that stallion died in 1994. Then in 2003 I bought a little unregistered pony gelding for $250, had him gelded and he is a amazing mini. He is registered with WCMHR as I was to late to hardship him AMHR. My brothers 2 kids love him to pieces and my brother drives him. So you can find nice horses out there for cheap that are well cared for or stud fees that are not high to well bred stallions. You just have to look.

Carolyn R--- yes all the colts are to gelded. Maybe not before they leave here, but it is part of the deal.

SHANA ---I also have some super nice well bred arabs, and only one was paid for and he cost me $300 a Nabiel and Fezon grandson.The other three were free. I forsee the miniture market doing the same thing now. It was almost the same when the arab market fell everyone breeding arabs to make a buck... just like minitures ... now only the true lovers of arabs bred arabs. Soon the same will happen with minatures... those who bred for the money are on thier way out.... It makes for some pretty ugly dealings. I believe we are now in the trading papers stage of the total fall of the horse market..

Also I would like to add, the prices are so bad on all horses and will be going even lower due to IMHO(and many others) to the new law on no slaughter.

When you take away that market you are pulling the rug out from under all horses prices.

There may be a few horses still selling a high prices, but if you really look at it you will see it is just big breeder to big breeder, like the arabian market before it fell..

Sorry but it is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Littlearab, the most I ever paid for a arabian was $5000 as a 4 year old. I sold her 2 years later for $6700 and she was in foal and I retained her foal which was a filly which I then sold for $2000. I only paid $500 for the stud fee on that foal and did not have to feed the mare as I had leased her the summer she was bred, then sold her that fall. I only had the foal here 2 months before I sold it. I have sold arabians from $1000 to $6700. I only have 2 arabians here now. Both are homebreds. One is mine, one is my hubbys. We may sell them though as we have hardly ridden this year. Then we have 16 minis. The most I paid for a mini was $2500, she was a double registered mare in foal, she had a filly so technically I got 2 for $2500.
default_wink.png
: The least I paid for a mini was my WCMHR mini gelding for $250. Some of my arabians I traded for minis. I was offered 6 registered minis and 1 unregistered mini for my 2 arabians, still undecided. Told them we would think about it.

Latest posts

Back