Please keep OK's little horses in your prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in Eufaula, Ok...southeastern part of the state right along US 69 highway...it is devastating here to say the least !!! Trees are litterly uprooted in places, my backyard looks as if a tornado went through. I made it out to feed this morning only to have to call for help...one stallion was inside his little run in and could not get out of the barn far all of the limbs in his doorway and the other could not get in his for a limb blocking his way. I could not get the gates open for all of the ice...had a neighbor come over and he was able to get through a gate and got all of the limbs out of the way there , then climbed over the fence to clear the other. I have only been without power for 2 hours...it keep flickering like it will go but so far so good. He also cleared a trail through my backyard so I can go off of the west side of the porch where it isn't so icy.. I will loose most of all the trees in the back and probably all of the pines along my driveway. I have plenty of food, a gas heater and a fireplace...so I will be fine and the horses are fine with plenty of food and heaters in the water troughs...we will be fine but the clean up will takes months !!This is the worst I have ever seen., and more expected tonight. My trees are mostly on the ground and I fear some of the neighbors are going to fall on the fences and there they will go but will tend to that when it happens I guess. I am so afraid of falling. Charlotte if you were here , I have lots of trees for a big bon fire. I will see if I can get someone to post a picture for me as I do not know how. Prayers to everyone and please stay safe and do not fall.

Clara Woodson

Clara,

Glad to hear you are OK. I was wondering about you. I'm praying the worst is over. We had similar circumstances here a few years ago. So far, no ice here and it looks on the radar like the rain has moved out.

:new_shocked: OMG i cannot imagine, living in Phoenix all my life, what this would be like... i PROMISE i will not complain abotu the heat this summer! your pictures are mind-boggling... your stamina and endurance awe-inspiring! and there are not words to describe how i feel reading about what you are going through and you are still offering to help others in the same boat... wow you people are courageous and wonderful!! :aktion033: :aktion033: you have me in tears... good luck and best wishes and i sure wish i could send some warmth your way... we are down to a high in the 40s today, with a wind so wind chill of course lower, and for us, that feel SO COLD... just 2 days ago it was still in the 70s... we were promised rain with this cold front but all we got was clouds and a bit of a sprinkle. the horses raise clouds of dust when they walk... too bad you can't mail me some of that ice, it would melt here and cut the dust...

hope to hear that you are all well, and your animals, once this has passed!!!

This is Clara's backyard I am posting for her. She wanted everybody to see what her yard looks like. the second picture is one of her pine trees.

backyard2-1.jpg

pine.jpg

My prayers and thought are with all of you who are in the icy mess.I have been through it so I know what you are dealing with.Just keep your animals in as much as possible.The ice is very treacherous for animals&humans also.Keep us posted.Our trees are still showing damage every wind storm we get&our ice storm was over 10 years agol

[SIZE=12pt]Prayers to YOU Charlotte and ALL who may be in harms way from this ICE STORM. The weather patterns have sure changed and not for the best...[/SIZE]

Stay warm, safe and dry!

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Jenny in -10 Washington state...BURRRR!

Another tip for those of you with frozen car doors or gate latches take a teakettle and get it to boiling then take it outside and pour it over the latches of your doors and gate latches should let you open those gates and doors. We deal with this often though it has been over 8 years since we have seen ice like you are getting right now. Stay safe and if we can help with some ideas just let us know. Everyone pray for the power to stay on. Without it it gets 1000 times worse. We were without for 17 days during our ice storm. A very challenging time to say the least. Prayers to all of you and if we can help like I said just ask. We may have found a solution.

To add to the answer to Lisa's question--another reason the precipitation falls as rain & then freezes is, even though surface temperature may be below freezing, the temperature higher up in the atmosphere may be much warmer. So, up in the clouds it is warm enough for rain, therefore it falls as rain, only to freeze when it hits the ground. Normally freezing rain is a problem only when the temperature is just below the freezing mark, but we've had rain falling when the temperature was as low as 14F--there was one day like that just last winter. That day the freezing rain was predicted, and a friend of mine skoffed and said we don't get rain when it's -10 (Celcius, that's 14F)--well, sure enough, it rained...and was freezing as it landed.

We get freezing rain often enough, but thankfully we don't usually get major amounts of it. We haven't had a major ice storm since the early '80s. The last one left this area without power for 3 or 4 days; we weren't living here at that time, we were further north. We had some really pretty ice, but it didn't cause us problems with power outages. Looking at photos here brings back memories of that storm, and makes me hope we don't see another storm like that for a long, long time.

Keeping everyone in our thoughts and prayers! Hoping that the worst is over.

Charlotte, so sorry to hear about losing a foal - it is never easy when that happens.

These storms can be so devastating and we still have a lot of winter left.

Everyone please keep safe and check in when you get a chance.

This is Clara's backyard I am posting for her. She wanted everybody to see what her yard looks like. the second picture is one of her pine trees.

backyard2-1.jpg

pine.jpg
OMG!!! :new_shocked: WOW!!! :new_shocked: :new_shocked: STAY SAFE CLARA AND THE REST OF YOU GOING THROUGH THIS!!! :no: That ice is DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS!! I know, because I have driven on it as well as taken a few bad falls trying to navigate on it! :no:
default_wacko.png
: so PLEASE EVERYONE BE VERY CAREFUL! :no: If you have salt try to put salt down where ever you can when you have to get to the barn and such..
default_sad.png
I feel sorry for all of you and it looks like that storm is going below us and hitting ILLINIOS....This storm looked really NASTY on Radar... :no:

Poor Charlotte!! I am so sorry for her mare going through an L.T. Abortion on top of this!! :no: Hopefully everything is okay now with her mare...
default_pray.gif
:

Jeri

Has anyone heard from ThreeC (Stephanie)? I'm thinking they must be without power? Does anyone know?

We are sitting here waiting for the next round to come, but so far so good. We have been very lucky here. this has mostly fallen as sleet which doesn't stick to trees and power lines like the freezing rain does.

Dinah is doing ok. She has quit calling so much...for her baby. That makes it easier for us.

MBennett called last night and offered, if we lose power, to use her 4 wheel drive to bring us a generator! What is it about these mini people? They'll give you the shirt off their back in the middle of an ice storm! What a wonderful community we are blessed with. Mary, I hope you don't need that thing yourself!

Thank goodness it sounds like many of the Okies are checking in and making it ok. What a mess Clara has to deal with
default_sad.png
Been there, done that when we lived up in the KC area
default_sad.png
It's HARD! And OK isn't the only state in this mess!

Mary Lou, thank you as always for providing this resource to us.

Off to the barn here....slip sliiiiiiiiiiiiiding awaaaaaaaaaaay!

Charlotte

YEAH!! :aktion033:

Charlotte!!! You still have power!!!
default_yes.gif
: Please be careful trecking out to the barn though!
default_rolleyes.gif
: It is so hard to keep your balance! :no:

Poor Dinah!!! I hope she doesnt grieve for her baby for to much longer.... :no: I am so Sorry you lost a foal...I have YET to deal with that issue... :no: and hope I dont have to anytime soon.. :no: but I know it is just a matter of time before we a lose one...
default_sad.png
so for now we just pray everyday that our mares stay in-foal and have a healthy and live foal...
default_smile.png
since it is about the only thing we can do.
default_smile.png

Agai,n I am so sorry for your loss Charlotte & I hope that this next storm ends SOON with no bad after affects!

You and the others are still in my prayers.......
default_pray.gif
:

THREE C FARM..If you are here please check -in...

Jeri

Glad to hear that you still have electricity! I assume Becky does too since she is so close. I am so sorry to hear about Dinah's loss. That is so sad.

I hope the storm moves on with no more major impact. We are expecting more sleet and snow today. Poor Pat is having to haul water from the house to the barn because of the frozen buckets. I'm no help of course, I can't even get off the porch!! Sheila

So far, we are still ice free here in southeastern Oklahoma! The ice is not far away, but so far we have been spared. When I went out this morning, the temp was 38. The weather man is predicting dropping temps and more rain on the way.

Yesterday, it was 15 degrees colder than us about 50 miles west and about 15 degrees warmer than us about 50 miles east.

Hope everyone keeps power and stays safe.

So far here in the Panhandle we are all right. The first two ice storms hit us and we were with out power for thirteen days. Luckely we had a stand by generator so fared all right. Sure unhandy though.

Billy G, how big of a generator do you have and what can you run with it? How do you water animals? Are you on a well?

Charlotte

Come on ThreeC......check in!

We lost power for a while, and might again any second. We were having thunder, lightning and we are getting pelted right now. It feels like small gravel hitting your face. I was just out in it feeding for an hour. The ice is gathering on things like in Clara's photos. Boy Clara, you sure got hit! Stay safe!

I hope our power stays on! The thunder is back and the ice is picking up again. It's getting rough. But we are fine so far!

Good thoughts for all!

someone earlier said to spread the horse manure where you have to walk... wondering if that works well?

continued prayers for all of you dealing with this, no injuries and no deaths!!!

Reo - glad to hear you are ok -- I know what it is like -- 2003 was a big icestorm here and we were without power for 10 days. Was warmer outside than inside my house - so I kept the windows and doors open.

Worst part for us was after it all started thawing out - that is when the most tree limbs break - falling on everything including cars, people, buidings and electrical/phone wires.

You are all in our prayers -- its heading this way but I don't think we will get the ice storm - no prediction for it here.

Take care.

JJay

A good friend of mine is moving to Missouri next week, will be bringing her six minis, young daughter and strong husband (thank goodness, because she is pregnant) and she just heard that the trees at their new house are broken from all the ice, and to bring a chainsaw.
default_sad.png
How long is this storm supposed to last? I'm worried about her moving in the midst of all of this! :eek:

Latest posts

Back