Please keep OK's little horses in your prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
We mini breeders here in central OK have been working all week trying to get ready for this, but the bottom line is.....there is only so much we can do.

The power is probably going to go. We know it's bad when all of the TV stations preempt the regular programming so we have constant weather and road conditions.

We have extra hay stacked in the foyer, extra bedding, every extra 5 gallon bucket filled with water...about 100 gallons.

The problem for us is ... no electric = no water and no heat in the house and temps are supposed to be in the low teens to 3 degrees for the next 7 days. We are hoping that with 18 horses in the barn and it totally closed up that they will keep it above freezing in there so we can water them.

And once the roads ice which they are doing now we can't get out of here....it's all up hill. We have the truck full of diesel so can run it and stay in it for warmth till we run out....sure hope it doesn't come to that. We worry so about being able to care for the horses with situations like this.....water is EVERYTHING!

So we need all the help we can get please
default_smile.png

If we Okies aren't around for a few days you'll know why....but I'm hoping we are around which means we have electricity!

Charlotte

i feel so bad for you guys! hubby wants to buy a whole house generator this spring. we were without power in illinois for 7 days one time due to an ice storm. Keep in mind that you can rent a generator if the power stays out too long but it will only run your house half power (but at least that gives you some heat and water)

Hoping its not as bad as predicted and you all get thru!

The frozen sleet is pelting down at our house and everything is coated in ice. I worry about Karrel having to drive to work and back. We have nothing saved or ready, but we'll hang in there as best we can.

My poor babies. I hope they quit playing out in it and go into their shelters.

Oh my gosh I am VERY concerened about our dear friend and forum member, Mary Bennett.

Her barn roof that she built herself was leaking like crazy last week from the rains flooding her barn, and I fear now it's going to give way to the weight of the ice. Last I heard she only has a car to haul what little hay is available, 1 bail at a time so I think she is in trouble and could use help. Mary has NO help whatsoever and is on her own completely out there with no electricty in her barn so if anyone is available and lives close by please try to help her. She'd never ask.

Here in Western Oklahoma the ice is getting thicker. We have a generator and a wood burning stove, and a non-electronic telephone, so hopefully we are good to go. Hay for the horses and heater in their water. Hopefully it won't last long. Don't think I am close enough to help anyone else. Good luck to you all in the storm!

Marsha

OH CHARLOTTE!!! :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :no:

I will keep all of you in my prayers!!!
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

I HATE ICE/SLEET!!! I wonder if this is the storm that is coming here in a few days???

I know our temps are going to bottom out again...
default_wacko.png
: So, we are getting the barn prepared for the drastic temp. changes as well with the new foal now!..We stall all our nightly anyway but the only difference is bedding is deeper in the stalls especially the new foal and he gets LOTS OF chopped straw in there with shavings underneath for absorbency and warmth. I am glad ours dont really mind staying inside that much..
default_smile.png

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! I will be thinking of all of you and wish you all the best of luck!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Jeri

Well I'm sending best wishes that you all make it out of the ice storm ok. I know that is scarey as we have been iced or snowed in without electricity a few times since owning horses.......................Thought for future use - how about some propane logs for your house - you can even get a free standing unit... We put some in our fireplace a few years back. It has a fan which doesn't work when electric is off but still gives off enough heat to keep us warm. If electric goes out I hang plastic on the door into the family room & we live in that room until heat comes back on...........................Stay safe!

It's been unnaturally mild for us this winter--I guess I wrongly assumed the same was true for the rest of you. That sounds terrifying! I will certainly be praying hard for all our forum friends in OK.

I've been keeping track of you guys out there with weather bug.....I hope and pray that it does'nt last long and that it warms up very soon! I remember back in the early 90's when we first moved onto this farm we had an ice storm. Yes I remember it very well. That's the year I slipped flat out on my back twice :eek: . Thank goodness for the parka I had on and all the layers underneath but still it was a painful couple of spills. Be careful as you trek outside...that is definitely a slippery and tricky situation! We're used to things like that up here in the northeast...but I would'nt wish it upon anybody. Be safe, stay warm and keep us all posted please!

I live in SW Missouri and its just starting to hit our way now. I'm stored up on food for the horses, not so much me but I can manage lol. I really hate winter.

I've spent the week stocking up on supplies for the horses. Hay, feed, shavings, etc. Yesterday I went to Wal Mart and Ace Hardware for more supplies. OMG! Those stores were packed and they were running out of bottled water, milk, bread and even ground meat!

Like Charlotte, my biggest fear is not having water for the horses. Being on a well, no electricity means no pump and no water. I do have a pond and though it's very low, I could likely bucket water for the horses after breaking the ice.

I do have a wood stove and I hopefully have enough wood to make it through this storm. They are predicting 3 days of ice and below freezing condtions for at least the next 5-7 days! This could be the worst ice storm this area has seen! :no:

Just heard on TV that our governor has put the entire state under a 'State of Emergency'. I hope it's not that bad......

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW that sounds just awful and very scary

We are very very cold here but thankful at least the sun is out.

Stay safe

Oh Charlotte, it sounds really bad out your way! I hope and pray that no lives are lost during this time. Can you collect wood in case you need to build a fire for warmth?

I'll be praying for you and everyone else who will be effected by this winter storm. (Don't forget to gather up kerosene lamps, candles, flashlights /batteries, and matches/lighters.

~Karen

Prayers for all of you.

REO I am worried about you. You said you have nothing on hand.Is there anyone or anywhere you could store up a little hay and some water?

Is there someone close to REO that could help her out a little?

Do you have shelters for all your kids? Can you somehow lock them in? I so worry about pregnant mares slipping around on ice.

Maybe buy some new garbage cans to fill with water?

Stay in touch if you can and be careful and take care.

hugs

Bonnie

You probably already do this but fill all the bathtubs, wash tubs, sinks with water too. If you end up having to haul water from the house put a garbage bag in the bucket first and twist tie it so you don't lose any.

Last edited by a moderator:
oH GOSH ...Good luck to all those hit!

After living through the Great Storm of 1998 (Ontario and Quebec SHUT down for 18+ days from huge ice storm) I have a few tips.

Get a metal or plastic water trough for the back of someone's 4x4 with chains truck and go to fire hall for water and wood (they should be stocking it). Only venture out in daylight. Stay off the road unless fetching water etc and watch out for downed power lines. Check on neighbours. Have batteries, candles handy. If your vehicle is diesel, stock up and stock up on gas for generator.

WATCH OUT FOR CARBON MONOXIDE PLEASE PLEASE ..I spent a day in the hospital from it..deadly and dangerous..better to be cold than sorry.

Spread manure from stable on icy patches so horses can get out (if fear of roof caving etc)

Team up with neighbours on food/gas runs

Report price gouging to police/radio stations.

Play cards etc with family..other than the trauma of being in the dark for 19 days we did really bond as a family!!

Go to the local shelter just to see people. Volunteer to make soup sandwiches etc for power workers (we had them all the way from WI etc)

I'll be thinking of you..I now own since 1998 a huge 6500 Watt generator always good to go because of that experience!!

Kim

:no: OHHHH, CHARLOTTE

Been keeping my eye on the Weather Channel throughout the day, praying God will "somehow" shift away from you folks. It seems as though the storm system will engulf most of Oklahoma....we'll be thinking about you throughout the weekend.

This is UNIMAGINABLE!

Anyone in your area have a generator that'll at least keep heat going.....even if families will be kind enough to share?

We'll check in with you throughout the weekend. Please keep us posted, Charlotte.

HUGS TO YOU AND FRANK!!

Cindy

Latest posts

Back