Please keep OK's little horses in your prayers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're good this morning, with just some light freezing drizzle. No new ice accumulations overnight. Where 3C is, they have had a lot more ice. We've had mostly sleet which fortunately doesn't accumulate on the trees and power lines as bad.

However, we are supposed to get a lot more freezing rain, sleet and snow starting tonight. Just keep praying that we don't lose power.

This picture is from my back porch yesterday afternoon towards the barns. The white on the ground is sleet not snow!

icestorm07-2.jpg

Well,still keeping fingers crossed,Its just really bad here i have 3 trees down,I didnt get much sleep worried about every thing.My daughter has been sick missed a week of school,and shes still sick Im sure hoping electric stays on.as for the horses all are snugg in there stalls with lots of hay.please keep prayers comeing for us who are geting hit hard with all this ice :no: We sure do need it.

I just talked to my mother and she lost power yesterday around 2 pm. She is trying to save her cell phone battery, so we didn't talk long. All but one of our horses and the donkey live with my mother, SE of Lawton. She's on rural water so no problems there, and she has a kerosene heater so she can heat part of her house.

Take care, all of you. We are getting ours tonight and tomorrow. We have plenty of hay, all the horses have shelter if they want it, so far we aren't frozen up. We do have a large pond so water won't be a problem. If the power goes out we'll just go to Jane's, she has a fireplace.
default_smile.png

Lucy

Here's another picture, a little blurry.

Went out to the car a few minutes ago to get some water bottles for the kids. It's starting to rain/ice again. I don't know if this is the second "wave" of it or not, I didn't think it would come this early. I've been busy filling up more jugs/bottles with water. Pretty much anything I can find. If it gets too bad, we can go down to the basement where it stays fairly warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my picture! None of that is snow. Ice & sleet!!!!!!!

MVC-002F.jpg

More on the way for tonight. :no:

Viki

I am in SW Oklahoma, about 6 miles from REO...I had no clue she was in this shape!!! We have been stocking up on horse supplies as much as we can. Hubby went to a hay broker in Fletcher and got all the alfalfa they had $9.00 a bale!!! And bought 2000 lbs of feed. It should be enough to last for a month or so I hope. We are iced in now and the next wave of ice is coming down now. REO, you know all you have to do is ask, and if possible we will help!! Silly girl.....Now I can't help you as we can not even get in our trucks (the doors are iced shut) or out of our driveway, and I don't expect to until next Wednesday. I am sorry. I'm not worried about my horses in their barns. My barns are insulated and are fully enclosed. When we fed this am the temp was 20* outside and my barns were 43* inside. I also had the water run to the inside of my barns when we built them. So far we have always had water in the barns as long as the electric stays on. I heard on the news that Lawton 30 miles SW of me is 2/3rds without power. Every hour or so hubby and I go out and shake the tree branches to get the ice off of them. I seems to be helping but, we are only shaking off what we can reach. I expect to lose some of my fruit trees. The last ice storm of 2002, we lost some of our big shade trees, they split right down the middle. Everyone take care be safe and don't go out if you don't have to....Her are some pics from yesterday pm..This is "ALL" ice no snow.Theresa and Art

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We're good this morning, with just some light freezing drizzle. No new ice accumulations overnight. Where 3C is, they have had a lot more ice. We've had mostly sleet which fortunately doesn't accumulate on the trees and power lines as bad.

However, we are supposed to get a lot more freezing rain, sleet and snow starting tonight. Just keep praying that we don't lose power.

This picture is from my back porch yesterday afternoon towards the barns. The white on the ground is sleet not snow!

icestorm07-2.jpg
OH BECKY! Thanks for checking in....PHEW!
default_yes.gif
: we will keep our fingers crossed for you.....
default_yes.gif
:

I hate that kind of weather...Give me SNOW any over Sleet! Its very dangerous and we deal with that type of weather here in Wisconsin as well, so I know what you are going through.....

Stay Safe!

Jeri

has anyone heard from reo?? im worried about her

kay
ME TOO!!
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Jeri

We are fine! The horses have eaten their breakfast and are enjoying their hay.

We did not stock pile because we don't listen to the radio and don't get (news) network channels on TV. So we knew this was coming but didn't know that it would be this much. But I did gather lots of water etc. And we had just bought a bunch of hay. We are fine, the horses are fine and happy. They seem to enjoy playing in the cold weather!

The ice is very thick, but it's calm out there and not as bad as it could have been. We'll be fine as long as the power stays on to work our water well.

I hope everyone stays well and safe!

I am at Valliant in the southeastern corner. So far, we have just rain. It has been raining steadily all morning and the radar shows much more on the way. Our temp is 42. We drove to Hugo, 25 miles west, and the temp fell to 36. Came back home and the temp is still at 42. I so hope the rain will slack off before the temp drops to freezing. Hoping the best for all those who are getting the brunt of this winter storm.

CHARLOTTE..... ARE YOU OKAY?

Any word from her, Becky?
Charlotte's fine as far as the weather goes. They had a mare abort late term last night which is not good news, but the mare is ok.

Charlotte and Frank just live 3 miles east of me a little further out of OKC, but I think we are on the same power grid. If one of us loses power we both will likely. No weather problems here in the Oklahoma City area today, but it could get nasty again tonight.

Keeping our fingers crossed here!

default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
: Prayers for all of you in the path of the ice storm. We have a close friend who was driving out to California for a travel nursing job and is stuck at a hotel until at least Monday with her 5th wheel camper due to the storm!!!!

PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS FOR ALL THOSE EFFECTED BY THE STORM!

Thought I would report in to let everyone know that we're still doing o.k. on the NW side of Oklahoma City.

Lots of work to keep on top of everything, but have still not lost power, so that's the good part. At least my big tank heaters and heated water buckets are still doing their jobs. It's bad enough keeping thawed water in the places that we don't have any way to heat. We spent several days preparing--even moved horses around and got all of our horses from across the creek over to this side. This way I know I can get to them to feed and water. OMG, you should see my barn though, we're double/tripled up all over the place. But TOASTY
default_wink.png
:

We had a thunderstorm/sleet storm for about a half hour this morning, hope that's it for the day, but doubtful. I had just let several of the horses out of the barn, of course, my timing wasn't so great. I scurried to get them back in.

Still have another big (and final) round to get through tomorrow. Pray we keep power through it all, because we're at the end of the line when it comes to getting it restored. Spent a week without back in 2002 and don't want to do that again.

Rita

p.s. I'm so sorry to read about Reflection's abortion last night. Weather related?

Charlotte and Frank, I'm so sorry to hear about the aborted foal. Sheila :no:

I'm so sorry to hear of the lost foal too, Charlotte.
default_sad.png

Sending prayers to all of you in this awful weather pattern, that you all and your horses and other animals come through ok.
default_pray.gif
: Keep us updated, all right?

I realize this is a stupid question and I have fought asking it all day but keep in mind it is coming from a Native CA who had never seen snow till i moved to ID...

Ok so here goes

I have never seen an ice storm and would guess with all the ice still on the ground it would make it even colder then normal so what makes it an ice storm instead of just snowing? I know silly question but is it just simply a matter of a degree or so?

Not a stupid question, let me see if I can make any sense when I answer it though.

The way this storm started was it started raining, then the temperature dropped which froze all of the rain that had already fallen, then it was rain mixed with sleet that was coming down. This also froze on everything that it hit. Next we have had sleet most of yesterday, most of last night, and most of today. It is nearly impossible to walk on or drive on. It is frozen so hard that I don't even make tracks when I step on it.

It is so deep in the street that when I was driving home, the underside of my car was scraping on it. (I do have a little bitty car that sits low to the ground). When it hits your windshield, it is frozen to it so when your wipers try to take it off, it sticks to your wipers and then they won't clean your windshield without stopping occassionally and cleaning it off of them.

At least with snow, you can shovel it, you can walk in it, and you can get some traction to drive on it. With the ice storm, the trees are so loaded with ice that they cannot support the weight and are breaking. A lot of the time, they fall on the electrical lines and break them leaving people without power. The ice coating everything cannot be shoveled, it is stuck to the pavement, fences, trees, and any other surface. Car doors are frozen shut, gate latches take a hammer to knock the ice off so they can be opened sometimes on both the latch and the hinges.

It is right now 25 degrees but supposed to drop to 15 degrees tonight.

We are okay here, still have power, still able to get to the barn, and the roofs are all holding.

This ice is beautiful but very dangerous. They are telling everyone to stay inside unless absolutely necessary to get out. The 25 degrees is not too bad but the wind chill takes your breath away.

There is a 100 year old tree in our front yard that is usually the lowest limbs are 10 feet off of the ground but right now are so heavy they are touching the ground.

Mary

Latest posts

Back