PLEASE HELP!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity_Acres

Reaction score
Oh pooh!!! I have a problem. I went out to do chores tonight after work only to find my 35" stallion out in the pasture with my petite 30" mare (never bred) and my yearling filly.

He had busted through the gate AND the electric fence!! I'm absolutely sure she's been bred. I've been so careful to not breed her because of her petite little frame. I was told by another breeder she wouldn't survive giving birth because she's so narrow in the hips.
default_no.gif
Besides he's a big stallion!!

I may be jumping the gun but what do I do now???
default_sad.png
Is it even remotely possible for my yearling to come in heat this early?? Is there anything I can do to stop this pregnancy if my 5 year old took? It only takes once! MY SON is living proof of that!!!!!!!
default_wub.png

Dang it!! She's always been such a little tease!
default_unsure.png
We use her for our nursing home visits and I can't lose her! I can't believe this!! I never thought I'd say it but I REALLY hope she's not bred!!!

I'm just sick!! HELP!! What do I do? What would you do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Janine

I've been told you can give Ludilice (miss spelled??) 1 cc to them 10 - 14 days after they have been bred to detatch the egg (if they did take) and this should make them not take.

Hi Janine,

Well, I don't know what it's called, but I've heard others on this forum talk about a shot that can be given to the mare a day or so after the "dirty deed" to prevent a pregnancy from "taking." I'm sure somebody will come on soon and give you the details. Or if your vet is one of the helpful types he/she might have that info.

I would assume that your yearling filly can come into heat, although, again, I don't have much experience personally in that area (I mean, with horses
default_rolleyes.gif
).

Good luck, and maybe you should, you know, have "the talk" with your beasties...
default_wink.png

Lori

Yes, you're yearling can come in. Call your vet and he/she can help you. There is a shot you can give.

Thanks for the information. I was planning on calling my vet in the morning. But now I can sleep knowing that they'll be okay. All I can say is "Spring has Sprung" and I have a stallion that is REALLY happy tonight and ought to sleep well.
default_yes.gif

Thanks again! Ya'll are wonderful.

Ask your vet about giving her a shot of Lutalyse.It is a hormone used to bring mares in heat for breeding.If the egg has been fertilized it will abort that.Just a word of caution.Some mares will sweat profusely and act like they are colicing.Just keep any eye on your mare and it usually passes in a few houes and she will be back to normal.I have used it in the past to bring a mare in heat , but always felt sorry for the mares.In your case it is better than an unwanted pregnancy.Good luck and keep us posted.

If you do give this shot to your mare, talk to him/her about giving her an antihistamine shot at the same time. It helps counter the sweats, breathing heavy, etc. I think you give like 10 ml of it.

Your best bet is the Lutalyse shot. It is only available from your vet, who will give you the correct dosage.

Speak to him or her about giving something to relieve the side effects, ie the sweats, etc....

Oh
default_sad.png
I'm sorry!!!

Just to confirm, yearlings can / do come in heat. My yearling Big City filly, Bomb Shell, is hot and heavy right now...

Ask for Estramate, not Lutalyse. Lutalyse is known for rather severe side effects (the sweating/cramping), and while Estramate DOES have the same effects, they are SIGNIFICANTLY more mild. The dose suggested to me by a theriogenologist was 0.5cc IM. You will have to way approximately 7 days post-ovulation to give her the shot.

Back