Please Help!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardBreath

Reaction score
Now, I was not there, so I hope I get everything right.

I know some of you have birds, and hope you can help.

My mom just called me, her pet bird (a green-cheek conure), had climbed down off her cage, and when my mom went to get off of her bed, stepped on the bird, who was on the floor next to her. Unfortunately there are no vets she can go to until morning. She thought the bird was dead, as she wasn't moving, but after a while started to come to (with great effort). She coughed up blood a couple times, but isn't anymore. It takes some effort for her to walk, and she doesn't seem to want to use her voice at all.

She doing a little better (I'm not sure when exactly this happened, but it's been a few hours at least), and is drinking water and wanting to eat. She lives 45 min away from me, so I haven't seen the bird, just what my mother told me, and she is quite shook up.

I told her to use a heating pad (she said the bird had been fluffing up it's feathers, acting cold), and she is going to try to get her to eat some mushy white rice. She has her bed in a small traveling cage, so she doesn't try to use a perch, and so she can be serperated from her other bird.

Is there anything else we can do for her???? I'm really afraid she won't make it :no:

Are you sure the bird coughed up blood, or has an injury around it's beak? Skin is very thin there. Are you sure the bird didn't break a feather? If it did, the shaft needs to come out to stop the bleeding. You can use small amounts of flour to stop bleeding if need be.

Heating pad is a good idea,,,,,cover the cage with a towel to help keep the heat in but do not cover it completely, it still needs to circulate. And have her keep an eye on how hot it is getting.

Keep the bird seperated.

Internal injuries can be tough, I wish her the best.

Let the bird continue to drink and eat. Still try and keep things, food included, the same,,,,,,,less stress.

Thanks for your post. I'm really not sure abou ther injuries, as I haven't seen her. She is eating some mashed up rice, and drinking juice and water, and seems to be in better spirits, so I feel good that she'll make it to see the vet. My mom however is a wreck, this bird is like her child :no:

Definitley A VET ASAP!

Until tomorrow (not that I'm a bird expert - just own a couple) keep the bird WARM and give it a few drops of water tonight and tomorrow.

You may not want to push food on the conure until you know about her injuries. If she shows interest in food, then that's a good sign. Until you see a vet, the main concern should be dehydration, IMO.

Let us know how it goes........

MA

Sorry, wasn't on last night so didn't see this till just now. Any updates on the bird today, has she seen a vet? Hope she is alright.

Hi everyone

She's going to be ok! :aktion033:

No broken bones or bad internal injuries. She did hurt her neck and inside of her mouth (that's where the blood was coming from) but nothing serious. She has some bruising, and vet says she was in shock, and we did good by keeping her warm and hydrated.

She is feeling a little better today, wanting to climb and perch on things, but she is being kept quite and seperate from the big cage with all the toys, so she doesnt get to excited.

Here are some pictures of her

angel.jpg

angelannie.jpg

Oh! What a little Character he is! LOVE HIM!
default_wub.png
: Thank you for your good news update!

(Love that puppy of your's too.)

MA

Latest posts

Back