Please help determine color of filly...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisteria

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just sold this filly, but the new owner would like reassurance that this filly really is a golden palomino and not sorrel. I've been wrong before - !

Here's a collage - 2 photos of her at 1 month old (dark) and then 6 photos of her at 5 months old (light).

Her dam is palomino and her sire is a bay pinto.

Thank you!

Monette
saludando.gif

AprilCollage.jpg

First of all, she is LOVELY -- no matter what color!

And second, palominos very commonly are lighter for certain times of the year and then golden up. They also tend to get more gold as they grow older and hold their color.

I would say she is palomino.

MA

new_shocked.gif

I am pretty sure she's a pal, my favorite color, but color aside she is just breathtaking!

It is unusual that she started out darker and then lightened up as she grew older... Her younger photos almost make her look like a light sorral.. w/a flaxen mane and tail.. If I was considering her and wanted a palomino, I would take a gamble on her as she -now looks the part.. Besides that, with those looks how can you go wrong.. She is lovely.

I also think that she is palomino. My own little Derby was born "dark" like your filly and is now a light palomino (see...). That filly would be a knockout in any color! Congrats to her lucky new owners!!!
champagne.gif

Dakotah_2.jpg

Derby%20--%20Silver%20Star%20Show%20--%20June%2013,%202004%20003.jpg

Wow,

Thanks so much for the compliments!!!

I'm sure the new owner is reading this as well and is eating this up!

biggrin.gif

I hope I'll have lots more of these beauties next year! Now the LONG wait for foaling season...
no.gif

Best,

Monette
saludando.gif

Nope...Nope..Nope....Nope. Deinfitly a disgusting stinky ole sorrel horse. And UuuuGggggAaaLlllYyyy!!!! Yuckers!! Who, what a stinkeroo!!

Better send her to me to hide her from the rest of the world so they don't know what a stinker you bred!
wink.gif
yes.gif
They most assuredly won't think to look all the way out here to check on you.
rolleyes.gif

OH SHE IS BEAUTIFULL If I would have had the money I would have got her, I liked her from the miniute I saw her, I just figured in the photos you first had that she just looked sorrel and I was missing something, but the photos as she got older makes me really know that she is a palomino!

My colt was a REALLY pretty golden color this summer, now he is really light pale palomino!!! and around his eyes are still a very golden palomino, so I am thinking that is what he will be in the summer!

-Gage-

She is a palomino, no doubt. Here is my palomino filly. She looked sorrel at birth, but is gold now. Her dam is a cremello so I know she is a palomino. Your filly's color reminds me of mine. First is at 2 weeks old and the second is last month. And Gage, this is the girl you asked about a bit ago.....lol. I think when they are born so dark that they will mature dark.

klassi1e.jpg

sassy2.jpg

It isnt uncommon at all for golden palominos to be born so dark they appear sorrel

I have bred several palominos - its my favorite colour! The darker they are when born the darker they will be when they grow up! They quite often are born sorrel or darker gold, lighten up almost immediately and then get darker as they mature up till about 5 years old. Their winter coat is lighter in colour as well. You can tell if it is palomino by the black skin under their paler coat - sorrels are pink skinned. And everyone is right - she sure is pretty!

hi everyone
saludando.gif

ok i cant resist anymore
smile.gif
im the very lucky person to be the one who monette trusts to own this wonderful little girl
aktion033.gif
thankyou monette
yes.gif

we were just confused by the very dark colour as in the younger pictures ,and then i see she went more like what i would expect for a palomino colour of her age ..

i have a palomino stallion who was very pale as a yearling and over the years has deepened in colour :)he is now 6 ..and goes a nice golden shade in summer, but this year he dappled
wacko.gif
..and has now gone very pale again as his winter coat is appearing, so dont know if the dappling will stay yearly now??

thanks everyone for the nice comments on the filly
wink.gif

jackie

ps forgot to ask has anyone got any barn name suggestions for the filly ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Jackie,

Congratulations!!!

Jackie lives in Yorkshire, England and she has purchased two minis from me and by the time we ship April over, hopefully a nice little colt...LOL!

She has become a dear friend and I know she will be a wonderful mommy to my minis.

Welcome to the forum board Jackie!

Monette
saludando.gif

PS She crushes grapes with her feet - I think she has purple feet, but that's just between you and me....
new_shocked.gif

She has become a dear friend and I know she will be a wonderful mommy to my minis.

Welcome to the forum board Jackie!

Monette
saludando.gif

PS She crushes grapes with her feet - I think she has purple feet, but that's just between you and me....
new_shocked.gif
491394[/snapback]

lol.. i cant believe you said that about the grapes
laugh.gif

and no i havent got purple feet because its white grapes i squash
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

heeehheee

jackie

How about "Athena".

She is very beautiful and you are very lucky.

I'm moving to Louisiana just to be closer to Monette. maybe I will get first dibs on a filly then. LOL

By pulling a hair sample and sending to our sponsor Animal Genetics testing for the cream gene you would know for sure. If she has one copy of cream then she is palomino. It cost $25.

I'm moving to Louisiana just to be closer to Monette. maybe I will get first dibs on a filly then. LOL
491533[/snapback]

laugh.gif
now that would be very much cheating
ohmy.gif
two can play that game

minimama

im packing now
poke.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back