Platform feed - warning received in email

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH NO! :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I hope this is not true! I have been feeding Platform Miniature Horse feed for about 3 weeks now and just bought 3 more bags! :new_shocked: :no:

All of my minis are on Platform and I can already see a major change in them!
default_yes.gif
: Some of mine are really picky eaters and usually did not like anything but their Omolene 300, but they love the Platform, so I would really hate to change feed again. I really wanted to get them off of Omolene since a few of mine have weight issues . They are not horribly fat, but they really need to drop a little wieght.
default_yes.gif
:

I am not worried yet and until I hear more about this I am still going to feed Platform for now.

If anyone else hears anything please let us know.

Thanks,

Jeri

This is not a hoax, I have myself lost two horses with the feed being suspect in their deaths. Mine were two of five that my vet has treated in the last 3 weeks, with 4 being lost. The fifth is likely to be lost as well. If you are feeding this feed beware ! My colt was only on this feed for less that two weeks before he started to show signs of sickness. My first was dead in a week, the second in 10 days of the first signs of sickness. I know of horse owners in other areas of Michigan with similar problems, the only similar factor with all of them is this feed. I sent my first dead horse to MSU for testing , no disease was found.

This is not a hoax, I have myself lost two horses with the feed being suspect in their deaths. Mine were two of five that my vet has treated in the last 3 weeks, with 4 being lost. The fifth is likely to be lost as well. If you are feeding this feed beware ! My colt was only on this feed for less that two weeks before he started to show signs of sickness. My first was dead in a week, the second in 10 days of the first signs of sickness. I know of horse owners in other areas of Michigan with similar problems, the only similar factor with all of them is this feed. I sent my first dead horse to MSU for testing , no disease was found.
So sorry for your loss.

As the minis affected, so far, are in Michigan; perhaps its an issue with the mill that makes and distributes to that region. I don't feed it, but many here do without issue (til now), so hopefully there will be light shed on the problem in no time.

Mad for mini's ...Pardon me if I'm out of line, but I can't help but notice that you just registered yesterday. Being the doubting Thomas that I am can not help but think that this is a hoax and is being cooked up right here on the Forum...and maybe perhaps by you ?? Again ...sorry if I'm completely off course here...but you are new here, and I can't seem to find any info about you on your profile, which makes me think there is something you don't want us all to know.

And if you had horses die from feeding this feed , why would you just now come on here and warn us ??

I believe most of us here would have warned members immediately...not weeks later, if a particular product was in question or was even believed to be in question.

We have been given no hard fast evidence of these deaths, and if they indeed happened then I am so sorry for you loss....and if the Platform is to blame, then by all means it should be pulled from the shelves.

Another thing that makes me doubt this claim is there are 100's if not 1000's of minis on this feed, and on 5 had problems....that flies like a lead balloon.

OK...let me have it...I know it's coming
default_wink.png
:
default_torch.gif
:

Most of us are here for one reason...to share our passion our little equine.....and if this is a load of bull, then shame on anyone that is party to this.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think it is a hoax because Marty did talk to TSC Store:::::::::::

So they made some calls to see what was going on and they were told that as of right now, the problem with the feed is an isolated incident with one farm and possibly one other farm, (pending) and is still under investigation and there is no proof at the moment that the feed is even involved. :new_shocked:

So they made some calls to see what was going on and they were told that as of right now, the problem with the feed is an isolated incident with one farm and possibly one other farm, (pending) and is still under investigation and there is no proof at the moment that the feed is even involved. :new_shocked:
How does Marty calling TSC make this not a hoax or just BAD info.

You said yourself in your post that this is an isolated inccident with 1 or maybe 2 farms...and that so far there is no proof the feed is even invoved....smells to me like someone is trying to drum up a bogus lawsuit . Kinda like the finger in the Wendy's chili ordeal...remember that ??

I'm not trying to argue hear...I'm just saying if this is a hoax or just BAD info, and we all base our decisions on rumors and hear say, then we are not doing our horses any good. We just had a thread not too long ago about how much we rely on info here on the Forum, and pretty much everyone said they follow up with their vet or mentors when something is in question......what makes this situation any different. Why would I choose to alter my feeding program because someone who won't identify themselves says I should.

I made my own calls to Purina and Farnam to get to the bottom of this..and I based my decision on information I got first hand, not from something I read here.

I feel that if the feed was involved there must be extinuating circumstances......storage of the feed , the fact that one poster here says their horses were on 2 types of feed when this happened........

I'm sorry , I just don't have enough info or proof to make me change a feeding program that I am finally happy with.

You said yourself in your post that this is an isolated inccident with 1 or maybe 2 farms...and that so far there is no proof the feed is even invoved....smells to me like someone is trying to drum up a bogus lawsuit . Kinda like the finger in the Wendy's chili ordeal...remember that ??

I'm not trying to argue hear...I'm just saying if this is a hoax or just BAD info, and we all base our decisions on rumors and hear say, then we are not doing our horses any good. We just had a thread not too long ago about how much we rely on info here on the Forum, and pretty much everyone said they follow up with their vet or mentors when something is in question......what makes this situation any different. Why would I choose to alter my feeding program because someone who won't identify themselves says I should.

I made my own calls to Purina and Farnam to get to the bottom of this..and I based my decision on information I got first hand, not from something I read here.

I feel that if the feed was involved there must be extinuating circumstances......storage of the feed , the fact that one poster here says their horses were on 2 types of feed when this happened........

I'm sorry , I just don't have enough info or proof to make me change a feeding program that I am finally happy with.

Latest posts

Back