Platform feed - warning received in email

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookhaven

Reaction score
I certainly don't want to start a panic, but I just received a forwarded email that said that Platform feed for minis was suspect in the death or near death of 8 horses in the sender's area (since it was forwarded, I don't know what area that is) and that Purina is looking into it. The horses got lethargic, diarrhea and then death. I don't feed Platform but was considering it, and I know several forum members feed it with great success. Just didn't know if this email had any validity or if anyone had heard this. AMHA and the World Show were sure pumping this feed, so I hope the cause of death of these horses is found to be something else.

i think you got bad info. platform isnt put out by purina??? I thought it was made by farnham right??

i just went and looked and platform is NOT a purina product. It is produced by Farnham. Obviously the email has wrong info so I would tend not to believe any of it

Last edited:
when I talked to the purina rep about something else they told me they make it for Farnum

hmmm well pretty odd i guess LOL. if you look at the website it doesnt say a thing about being a purina product?? Ill go look at purinas site

From what I've read, the Platform mini feed is made by Purina.

I do hope that this email is a hoax. :new_shocked:

nothing on purinas site either. Beats me! I just think its odd that if its made by purina it says its made by Farnham. Maybe they just dont want to say its made by the competition??

I am sorry kay I was confusing..

it is a farnum product however Purina mills the product for them so yes it is marketed under Farnum but is made at the Purina mills

thanks lisa
default_smile.png
I guess I have seen so many of these hoax emails I tend not to put any weight in them. For sure I hope it is a hoax! I dont feed this but I know a lot of people that do

This had darn better be a hoax and if it is, a very sick person has upset the heck outta me.

I have just spend days switching every single one of my horses over to Platform and even Sonny is now on Platform Senior feed and I am not taking this very lightly.

My feed room is fully stocked with Platform bags and I would like to know who I can contact immediiately about this because when I say I am very upset I am really on the ceiling at the moment.

If someone is doing this just out of something to do,,,,,I just become one very ticked person over their boredom!!!!! :new_shocked:

Lisa's info is correct,,,,,I spent a good deal of time checking into the product, including speaking with reps from the company.

I will check with my TSC store first thing in the morning,,,,if there is a problem, TSC is one of their largest distributers and they should be notified by the company as well. I will also get with, email and call until I talk to a real human.

Jack, my weanling and Rosie one of my mare have had the runs, a little past being cow pattie,,for 2 days, a little worst today,,,,Casey a 2 year old stud, had full runs today, did not yesterday and looks sunken, all have been given charcoal suspension and keopectate(sp),,,,I contributed to the weather. We have had changes daily for over a week and I have some horses who do not like the changes, but will settle in after the first big change.

I realize it could still be that, it is the only thing those 3 have in common, and the food. They are not in the same area, different dry lot, different pasture,different barn. Weird how only 1 horse in each of the sections has come down with ??????

Going to start checking tonight.

Can't always ready my own tone in an email. I am not panicing,,,,only looking at/considering all. I trust this company and I have liked the improvement all of my horses have made while on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Farnam Platform Mini & Pony feed for almost a FULL YEAR (for those of you who did not know---I was one of their test farms). I have been feeding it to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY HORSES for that entire time. I have not been feeding them anything else except hay.

And my horses are all healthy. Not a single case of colic. Not a single case of diahrea. Not a single case of anything. Horses have never been healthier. Coats are shiney. Highly alert, full of energy.

The Platform feed is formulated by Farnam, but because it requires extremely balanced milling - it is milled for them by Purina.

I think the email is a hoax, plain and simple. Hmmm.....maybe the competition is getting a little worried?????

For the record there has not been a thing wrong with my horses since I have started on the Platforum.

And apoligize that the slightest thing upsets me now anyhow thus my reaction. I couldn't handle my horses getting sick by my own hand...........I"m not very easy to live with anymore, I'm sorry.

No need to apologize Marty. And, again, I didn't want to start a panic. But, having received this email, I knew that if I posted on the forum, that answers would be received and hopefully the dilemma solved!! And, God forbid it be true, at least people would be made aware of the problem.

I had been warned not to use it as well...by a professional. I had purchased some and they advised me not to buy anymore. I haven't used it since.

I wish the best to any that have been exposed to it - if it is true.

All 26 of mine have been on it for over a month and sure no diarrhea from any of them..They love it and seem healthier then ever. I sure hope the email is a hoax.
default_wacko.png
:

Wanted to say that all poo is normal here this morning,,,,,I still guess it to be weather change. Kao has always taken care of it if that is the case. We had over a 50 degree change in temp, freezing for 3 days, then back up to 70.
default_wacko.png
: Gotta love the midwest.

Not sure why anyone would be warned not to use this,,,I did more homework on this than probably anything, all I heard was very good,,,,,did not hear one bad thing or one little concern. But no matter what others have or have not said, my horses are doing great on it and will stay on it, truly a big difference, as I can only go by what I see happening in my own lot.

I have to say I dont think it has anything to do with other brands being worried or someone with to much time on there hands.

First off almost every brand of feed has things that are very simular to eachother from Sr and Jr feed, speciality feeds to supplments ect.. so that isnt a huge thing for me

Once again we need to remember.. Something can truthfully happen to some horses, some farms ect and that doesnt mean it will happen everywhere else. It doesnt mean if you never had a problem everyone else is lying there is no problems (as many of us know with vaccines, de-wormers ect)

It is very possible someone did get a bad batch of feed, or the feed store they got it from had storage issues ect. Or bottom line there was some issues wtih a few bags that DOES happen with EVERY feed so yes it is possible just as it is possible 95+ percento of people can use this product with no issues

Really this doesnt have to be an issue of someone is lying they did have issues or others are lying when they say the don't. Everyone can be correct and honest in a situation like this

I have been using it for about a month now.

All of my miniatures and one pony are on it and I am very

pleased with it. They all look good and are very healthy.

As I am writing this, out the window I can see four of them

running and playing together, they are sooo cute.
default_smile.png

We have not had any problems with it and the Horses LOVE it,

they look to make sure they find every crumb.
default_yes.gif
:

Well said Lisa - I agree, could have been a problem with someone's individual horses, a few bags the feed store left out in the rain - anything. It's certainly worth following up on since we all have a lot at stake when it comes to our horses, but I don't think cause for panic. I like Marty have spent the last 3 weeks slowly switching my horses over to this feed, all are doing well and cleaning their feeders. Picking up a load this afternoon at the feed store, I will ask them about it.

FYI, my Purina store here is charging me $12.59 a bag, TSC is $13.99.

Jan

Back