Plants that are poisonous to horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbark

Reaction score
I found the list of plants that are poisonous to horses that was published in a horse magazine, don't know which one, but AMHA has their office hours next to it. If anyone would like a copy and has a fax machine I will gladly fax it to you. I do not have a scanner. If you just have some specific ones you want to know about, give me the name and I will see if it is on the list. This list is two pages long.

email me your fax number to [email protected]

Nancy

This reminded me of a question I was asked earlier in the week...Do acorns harm horses?

Thanks for the great reminder, nbark!

You can also google for such lists... much easier than scanning.

Here is one from EQUUS... 10 most poisonous plants for horses

And here is one from Colorado State... Plants poisonous to horses

You can google for photos and such as well.
default_smile.png

Different lists may have different additions. Oaks and acorns are on the Colorado State list...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I have always received conflicting answers. I have heard that they are poisonous. But, I have a small pasture that they fall in. I try to keep them raked out but seem to always miss a few and will catch a horse eating one. They have never had any adverse effects on my horses. Thanks for the info.

The San Diego Information Center did this study for the Miniature Horse World (?) magazine in February of 2001.

Some of the common ones we all see are tomato foliage and vines, tulip bulbs, crocus, sweet pea stems, mountain laurel for those of you who have that, cherries twigs and foliage are fatal, azaleas and rhododendrons are fatal. WOW, even marijuana made the list, lol.

What is good about this list is that it gives you the fatal ones and the ones that will make them sick. We have had this hanging in the barn for a long time. It is also done alphabetically, which makes it easy to find what you are looking for.

Cornell University also has a site about poisonous plants.

This is the LINK => Cornell University Poisonous Plants Information Database

(The url is: www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants)

It has things like:

Alphabetical listing of common plant names

Toxic agents in plants

Species of animals commonly affected

Medicinal Plants for Livestock - Beneficial or Toxic?

Frequently asked questions about poisonous plants

I have not compared with the other listing..... but it may be useful, too.

I would think acorns have more adverse affects such as causing blockage. I don't think their stomachs can really break them down as well as they should. So if they eat a ton, they can probably become impacted. Never heard of them being poisonous though. But I don't know alot either! Hahaha!
default_laugh.png

One that I know for sure that will make your horse colic is that stupid red berry that falls off the thorn trees (hawthorne berries) in the autumn. Apparently, those berries are suppose to be very bitter and horses are NOT suppose to like them. But had a shetland pony eat some once and OMG was she sick. The vet could not believe that a pony would eat so many, her mouth was just packed full of them. Pony did recover, but is was not a nice experience.

How about oak leaves?

I've read mixed messages on oaks - maybe depending upon which type? What we have are live or scrub oaks. He likes to munch on the dried leaves and will eat a small twig if it's got leaves on it.... i don't think he's interested in the acorns - well i haven't seen him eat one that is.... but the leaves he likes.

don't understand it as he has some green pasture to munch on....

I do know that nightshade is poisionous, as it caused colic in my guy awhile back....
default_no.gif
it is a leafy bush with berries on it.

Thanks!

How about oak leaves?
I've read mixed messages on oaks - maybe depending upon which type? What we have are live or scrub oaks. He likes to munch on the dried leaves and will eat a small twig if it's got leaves on it.... i don't think he's interested in the acorns - well i haven't seen him eat one that is.... but the leaves he likes.

don't understand it as he has some green pasture to munch on....

I do know that nightshade is poisionous, as it caused colic in my guy awhile back....
default_no.gif
it is a leafy bush with berries on it.

Thanks!
Well, here we go, oaks and acorns are listed under oaks

Sorry everyone, ACORNS are listed under oaks and are on the list!! DERRRR thought acorns came from acorn trees, lol

So, acorns made the list... anything about the leaves/twigs of the oak tree??
default_unsure.png

Thanks!

One that I know for sure that will make your horse colic is that stupid red berry that falls off the thorn trees (hawthorne berries) in the autumn. Apparently, those berries are suppose to be very bitter and horses are NOT suppose to like them. But had a shetland pony eat some once and OMG was she sick. The vet could not believe that a pony would eat so many, her mouth was just packed full of them. Pony did recover, but is was not a nice experience.
Berries that I could find on the list: Belladonna, Baneberry, Bittersweet, China Berry Tree, Christmas berry, Common Privet, Daphne, English Ivy, Jessamine, Latana Camara (red sage), Natal cherry, Nightshade, Yews (foliage and berries) and we all have those in our yards.

Does anybody have a list of trees that are safe to plant in horse pastures? We want to plant a few trees but when we went looking the tree farm didn't have a clue which ones were compatible.

Does anybody have a list of trees that are safe to plant in horse pastures? We want to plant a few trees but when we went looking the tree farm didn't have a clue which ones were compatible.

Apple, pine and maple are not on the list. I have heard that red maple is not good. Birch and poplar are all safe.

Latest posts

Back