Pinto or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin1

Reaction score
I have a silver buckskin filly that has high white stockings and a tiny snip, BUT she also has one light blue eye and one marbled eye. Do the blue eyes make her a pinto? This is for her registration.

Thanks,

Robin

Not sure on the blue eyes, but the high white stockings make her qualify
default_biggrin.png

They don't go over her hocks though.

Robin

If the white stockings are from tobiano, I would test and send in the test results with her registration application.

I have registered solid appearing horses as pinto because that is what they are.

You might want to contact the Pinto Association (www.pinto.org). It sounds like she could be registered as a breeding stock Pinto but might not have enough color for the color registry. Unless there are breeding stock classes in your area (there will be in New England this year) it might not be worth it.

ETA: Pinto will accept minis for Pinto registration that have "pinto" on their AMHA or AMHR papers, so I would think (but could very well be wrong!) that they ought to be consistent in what they call a pinto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you check under her chin and belly for spots? The registries use the papers for identification. So if you put pinto on the paperwork and take her to be measured, you might have an issue. Then ethically you would have to show her in the "any color other than solid" color classes. If all she has are stockings and blue eyes, I'd register her as a solid.

If you want to know if she's a breeding stock pinto for your breeding program or marketing, then you would want to get her tested.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it was already stated, without dna to verify it, eventhough we know leg white like that is a pinto trait, your mini would likely be registered as solid body/ high stockings/snip and blue eyes rather than "pinto with solid body, high stockings, snip and blue eyes". Any knowledgeable person would know that that is way too much white for sabino and it is a pinto trait, it is a matter of how determined you are to have the registration list her as pinto along with her description.

I had a black filly once with no white on her anywhere, but had blue eyes. Was she a pinto?

I had a black filly once with no white on her anywhere, but had blue eyes. Was she a pinto?
That filly most lilely carried the Splash White gene and was minimally expressed. It is also possible that it was a minimally expressed Frame. Horses like this that carry the genes but are not visually expressed can produce very wild colored foals. But, it's very hard to get the registries to recognize a horse with no visible markings as a Pinto.

Any knowledgeable person would know that that is way too much white for sabino and it is a pinto trait,
What is too much white for sabino?? I have several sabino pintos....no other pinto pattern, just sabino... and they have a lot of white--they would qualify for pinto registration but I have no reason to register them as such so haven't done it.

In the case of this thread though, the blue eyes indicate there is something more than (or other than) sabino going on--probably splash, but possibly LWO.

Back