Pinto Halter Classes/Pinto Shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romewhip

Reaction score
I'm putting this here instead of in the pony section in hopes of getting more answers and folks with experience.

If I show my pony at a Pinto show (he will be registered with PtHA soon) can I show him in a plain English snaffle bridle? I have a nice fitting plain bridle and could braid him hunter style.

If I do this, and he's braided, can I show in driving classes with a braided mane or will we stick out like a sore thumb? We aren't talking major shows or regionals, just trying to plan easy show day. Would I be better leaving him unbraided?

Now, should I happen to fall into an ASPC show he needs a cable halter, right?

I don't imagine I'll ever do more than just fool around a little in halter showing as driven dressage and CDE are my goal.

If you are presenting him as a hunt type horse, a plain bridle, or plain leather halter is fine. Cable is acceptable as well. Up to you!

As per braiding, if your horse looks good braided, rock it! A bad braid job won't do you any service, but a nice one is always impressive.

I show in Pinto shows a lot but the best advice I can offer is to read the on-line rule book carefully! For example, you might think you can use any old halter for a hunter or jumper class, but the Pinto rules specify for one of them (I think is is jumper but even the judges get confused) that you must use a PLAIN (no bling) leather halter.

Also, check with the show because sometimes you can bring your photos and get your pinto registered AT the show. The shows are a lot of fun and the reward structure is the best of any I ever encountered.

I think you should be fine with a plain bridle or halter and I know that with a HORSE, I always used a plain leather halter for English showmanship - the silver one for Western.. Have fun!

Awesome- as braiding goes I'm pretty good at it. Used to make a living as a show groom, so while I'm not up to full on multiple large horses with hunter braids any more I can make one little pony boy look professional. I'm not going to be doing any in hand classes like hunter or jumper, but thought we'd try a couple of shows just for experience and learning.

Here's a head shot of him wearing the bridle, for show I'd have a show lead of course.

Jake head shot.jpg

If the show is a PtHA show, I would not braid if I was also going to drive (and I did not want to pull the braids out before the driving class).

Latest posts

Back