Pinched nerve

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vansplic

Reaction score
My filly seems to have a pinched nerve in her back again. I am out of banimine. she is rolling and stretching trying to put it back in. She let me put heat on it and will rest for quite a while if I sit with her and rub her belly. I should be able to get a chiro out here tomorrow or a equine massage therapist but is there anything I can do until then? Anyone know what may be causing this? this is the second time this has happened. She is 3 months old and does seem to be going through a growth spurt. We also have not been able to get her to let the farrier get a good trim on her.

Thanks.

The pic was from about 4hrs ago, before any signs.IMG_6944.JPG

I would not count on it being a pinched nerve--it is much more likely that it is colic--no matter what your friend told you last time. (colic frequently resolves itself after a dose of banamine). Rolling and stretching most often indicate colic.

Has she been dewormed and if so, when?

I had a TB that had a bad back and I think got pinched nerves often. We had a massage therapist come out regularly for him and in time he got better but really there was nothing at the time we could do for him.

Hi, thanks. Out here it is either go with a highly experienced breeder (the friend) or the vet who could not tell my mini was pregnant 48 hr before she foaled (she was huge!) they just don't know minis out here. Either was, after a long scary night and emergency vet visit she is up and alert this morning.

Does colic look different in minis than big horses? She did this a while back and my grst thought was colc but then there were so many differences.

This sounds like colic, but maybe not.

Just like in humans, many back problems are a result of problems elsewhere like feet, legs, and hips. Make sure you treat the primary problem and not just the secondary symptom.

Dr. Taylor

Sounds like Ulcers to me. My friends filly did this... she was misdiagnosed as colic several times. The filly died, and the necropsy showed she was full of ulcers.

I got a colt earlier this year. He was displaying the same symptoms, luckily the barn he was at with the prior owner recognised those symptoms and started ulcer treatment. Now he lives with me and is on a daily dose of Tagamet and has not had any symptoms since.

The sad part is, vets around here seem to be really at a loss as to diagnosing ulcers in minis. The vet that did the necropsy on the above filly was the one who misdiagnosed her as colic 4 times prior to the fatal episode. She now knows not to rule out ulcers in unexplained "colic cases"

Latest posts

Back